Global Warming

This is a discussion on Global Warming within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; So when climate can be affected by the flap of a butterfly's wings and in a time when our weather ...

  1. #16
    The Earth is not flat. Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,420
    So when climate can be affected by the flap of a butterfly's wings and in a time when our weather forecasts are only extremely accurate out to about 2 hours or so I hardly doubt we can pinpoint the exact cause of our problem...if there is one. I believe we are seeing a normal climate shift that is far beyond our control. You really want to believe the crazy reports when we cannot even tell if it's really going to rain tomorrow or not?
    Meteorology != Climatology.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  2. #17
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    Release The Butterflies!!!

  3. #18
    {Jaxom,Imriel,Liam}'s Dad Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,065
    ::::Clears throat::::: ::::Winks at Dave::::: ::::Thumps Bible:::::

    Dave asked for it, here it is:

    My opinion on the matter is that God created the world. God destroyed man from the Earth early on (but for 8 persons) and God made a promise to only do it one more time, but then with fire. Therefore, man can do nothing to this world. Are you afraid of a nuclear holocaust? Why? Do you really believe the an atomic bomb can produce more radiation than the sun? Notice that we haven't burned up yet from the sun. As it has been mentioned, one volcano can put more "bad stuff" into the air than ALL humans for multiple years.

    It is insane that humanity believes that we are soooooo important on this Earth that WE can make changes to it.

    ::::Thumps Bible again:::: ::::Nods head to Dave::::: ::::whispers to Dave:::: "There you are, sir!"

  4. #19
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,579
    > It is insane that humanity believes that we are soooooo important on this Earth that WE can make changes to it.

    That is soooooo GODish. You can join a few alleluias.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  5. #20
    {Jaxom,Imriel,Liam}'s Dad Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F.
    > It is insane that humanity believes that we are soooooo important on this Earth that WE can make changes to it.

    That is soooooo GODish. You can join a few alleluias.
    And your point is. . .

    And, is this supposed to be an insult or a compliment?

  6. #21
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,579
    Calm down.

    I find it... interesting your interpretation of a nuclear holocaust and the notion we are just too small to affect our planet. And even more interesting when you say we can't do nothing to this world because God will. That... Well, I'll refrain myself.

    I'm really not sure how I should approach this. If saying that's just insane and still hope to have a good conversation with you without you dropping a "blasphemous!" on me, or just ignoring the whole thing and move on.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  7. #22
    {Jaxom,Imriel,Liam}'s Dad Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,065
    I'm not upset. I really didn't see a point. And, I really did wonder what you did mean by that. Talking about religion and politics doesn't get me spun up. I was a PK for the first 25 years of my life, now I'm not. That, however, does teach one to not care what others think. And, as for me "dropping a \"blasphemous on\"" you just isn't going to happen. You clearly don't want to believe in God. . . who am I to blow against the wind.

    I'd be interested as to what you refrained from saying. You won't offend me, however, I cannot speak for anyone else on this board.

  8. #23
    The Earth is not flat. Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy
    Are you afraid of a nuclear holocaust? Why? Do you really believe the an atomic bomb can produce more radiation than the sun? Notice that we haven't burned up yet from the sun.
    Uh we're kinda far from the sun, you can go stand next to detonating nuclear weapon if you like....

    As it has been mentioned, one volcano can put more "bad stuff" into the air than ALL humans for multiple years.

    It is insane that humanity believes that we are soooooo important on this Earth that WE can make changes to it.
    Atmospheric CO2 levels increased by 31% since the pre-industrial era with most of the increase occuring after 1945. No one seriously doubts that the increase in CO2 is not primarily due to human activity.

    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenho...eenhouse_gases

    It really is quite clear that we can alter global chemical phenomena i mean we bit a chunk out of the ozone layer through CFC use which shows that there is no magic barrier stopping the environment being affected.
    Last edited by Clyde; 12-05-2006 at 04:34 PM.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  9. #24
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,579
    Oh. Nothing much. Just that I found the argumentation ridiculous, Kennedy, according to my own stance on these matters, of course. For me the notion that humanity can't sufficiently alter the planet because that's God's job is just too ludicrous.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore. Good, informative movie. Watch it.
    I'm not immature, I'm refined in the opposite direction.

  11. #26
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMcGee123
    Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore. Good, informative movie. Watch it.
    The original article in this topic cites several inaccuracies in that movie. Read it.
    Sent from my iPad®

  12. #27
    {Jaxom,Imriel,Liam}'s Dad Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    It really is quite clear that we can alter global chemical phenomena i mean we bit a chunk out of the ozone layer through CFC use which shows that there is no magic barrier stopping the environment being affected.
    Did we? Really? That's odd. I didn't realize that we had accurate readings on the ozone layer before. In fact, there were studies that show the hole actually shrinks and grows over time. Do we make it grow and shrink?

  13. #28
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,579
    And since you are so interested about accurate facts, which is quiet fine and very scientific-like, can you please be so kind and share with us accurate facts about God not allowing us to destroy our planet?

    Thank you.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  14. #29
    The Earth is not flat. Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,420
    Did we?
    Yes.

    Really?
    Yes.

    That's odd.
    Not really - CFCs release stratospheric chlorine which causes catalytic loss cycles (chlorine rapidly eats ozone without getting used up meaning unless quenched a single molecule of chlorine can destroy an infinite amount of ozone).

    I didn't realize that we had accurate readings on the ozone layer before.
    http://www.atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/tour/tou...otal_ozone.gif

    - the blurb that goes with that picture says:

    The graph to the right shows the measured total ozone above the Halley Bay station in Antarctica. Each point represents the average total ozone for the month of October. Note the sudden change in the curve after about 1975. By 1994, the total ozone in October was less than half its value during the 1970s, 20 years previous. This dramatic fall in ozone was caused by the use of man-made chemicals known as 'halocarbons' which include the well-known CFCs commonly used in fridges and so on. These CFCs had made their way into the upper atmosphere where the much stronger UV radiation from the Sun had broken them down into their component molecules, releasing the potentially damaging chlorine (and bromine) atoms, which, given the right conditions, could destroy ozone. We'll learn more about the chemistry behind the loss of ozone in Part III of this tour.

    Regular ozone measurement have been made from the Halley Bay Research Station for many years. Ozone depletion is most marked in the Antarctic Spring, around October.
    - http://www.atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/tour/part2.html

    In fact, there were studies that show the hole actually shrinks and grows over time. Do we make it grow and shrink?
    Phenomena can be influenced by more than one variable. Just because other factors influence the ozone/the climate/the population of algae in the sea/etc, does not mean we do not.

    The ozone layer is in constant flux because ozone is constantly being formed and broken down. Factors like solar radiation can influence the ozone concentration but we know now that CFC-mediated ozonolysis was the driving force behind the gradual unravelling of the ozone layer (3% loss per decade) and the "hole" present at the antartic and to lesser extent at the artic.

    The phenomena is well understood, a combination of satelite imaging, atmospheric sampling, test-tube style chemistry and theoretical modelling have elucidated the major mechanisms beyond reasonable doubt which is why there is scientic concensus on the topic.
    Last edited by Clyde; 12-05-2006 at 06:01 PM.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  15. #30
    {Jaxom,Imriel,Liam}'s Dad Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,065
    The base, however, from which I would explain such a principle, you fundamentally discard as "too ludicrous". Again, I'll not be caught blowing against the wind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. basic question about global variables
    By radeberger in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 01:54 AM
  2. First oil, then warming, now ..cooling?
    By VirtualAce in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 11:06 PM
  3. Kyoto - global warming hype
    By VirtualAce in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 04:43 AM
  4. Global Variables, include files and classes
    By sharpstones in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 11:06 AM
  5. defining and using a global class
    By cjschw in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 09:51 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21