Wrestling

This is a discussion on Wrestling within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I'm assuming they translate the rest of it, why wouldn't they translate that? True....my first language is Afrikaans....now....if i broadcast ...

  1. #46
    Bios Raider biosninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    765
    I'm assuming they translate the rest of it, why wouldn't they translate that?
    True....my first language is Afrikaans....now....if i broadcast a program in your country (in Afrikaans)....does the program stand a cance of being popular if it stayed in tat language?.....therefore....TRANSLATE
    The knack of flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

  2. #47
    In the Land of Diddly-Doo g4j31a5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    I'm assuming they translate the rest of it, why wouldn't they translate that?
    Well, they did. But it's in a form of subtitles. And kids usually see the "big pictures" and skip the sub-titles.

  3. #48
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,467
    "Don't try this at home" is even better than "don't push this button" for anyone 18 and under.

    It just doesn't work. Which of course, doesn't mean they shouldn't show the words. It's just that, they aren't used to protect the TV network. Those words alone are not and can't be considered as safe and legal disclaimers. They are used as a safety warning. Nothing more. It is possible that in some countries they are legal obligations (they are over here). But they still aren't legal disclaimers.

    If I put those words on my show I still can't suddenly start teaching how to rape a woman or rob a bank.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  4. #49
    Insane Game Developer Nodtveidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Isabela, PR
    Posts
    105

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F.
    If I put those words on my show I still can't suddenly start teaching how to rape a woman or rob a bank.
    Raping a woman or robbing a bank are not legal. Acting out bogus fight scenes are.

  5. #50
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,467
    But it is legal to teach how to do it
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  6. #51
    Insane Game Developer Nodtveidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Isabela, PR
    Posts
    105
    Hrm...I think that really goes into some gray areas. For example; it's legal to teach someone how to shoot a gun, even legal to teach someone how to shoot someone else with a gun for protection. This is probably where mens rea comes into play.

  7. #52
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,467
    There are many ways to teach someone how to do something without necessarily making it so obvious as to "I'm teaching you how to rob a bank"

    Copycats got all their knowledge from the media, published biographies and public investigation reports. The details are sometimes so fine these things become real manuals on how to do it.

    However, my point is less fine. Simply, to illustrate that just because I say "Don't do this at home", it just doesn't necessarily mean I can now wash my hands of what I'm about to show.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #53
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F.
    But it is legal to teach how to do it
    If someone robbed a bank and it was shown it was done using your teachings, you'd be held responsible. It's not even close to the same thing.

  9. #54
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    There are many ways to teach someone how to do something without necessarily making it so obvious as to "I'm teaching you how to rob a bank"
    I'm just curious - don't all these films like "Italien Job" do exactly the thing?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  10. #55
    Insane Game Developer Nodtveidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Isabela, PR
    Posts
    105
    The issue is intent. A wrestling show doesn't have any ill-intent behind it, but a tutorial on how to rob a bank most certainly does. Teaching someone how to use a gun for self-defense and teaching someone how to murder with a gun are mechanically the same thing, the difference is the intent. This is why law has to be interpretted, not red-lettered.

  11. #56
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    This is why law has to be interpretted
    Oh-Oh!.. You must be a very trustful man, you're ready to trust anyone having right to "interprette" the law...

    I prefer to live in a country where law is not interpreted but executed as is... I can be not happy with subsequences, but at least - I will know them beforehand...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  12. #57
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by vart
    Oh-Oh!.. You must be a very trustful man, you're ready to trust anyone having right to "interprette" the law...

    I prefer to live in a country where law is not interpreted but executed as is... I can be not happy with subsequences, but at least - I will know them beforehand...
    It must be nice to live in a fantasyland where laws are written in such an ironclad manner that there's no room for interpretation at all.

  13. #58
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,467
    Let me try this again. My point was meant to be much less refined.
    Just because I say "Don't do this at home", it just doesn't necessarily mean I can now wash my hands of what I'm about to show. That's just it.

    Some people seem to believe that the above words immediately remove any responsibility from a TV show. They don't. If there is any kind of responsibility, that is another matter altogether. Just don't use the "Don't do this at home" screening as an argument against it.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  14. #59
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see a lawyer's opinion on it. There's also the issue that it's very likely different between countries.

  15. #60
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    It must be nice to live in a fantasyland where laws are written in such an ironclad manner that there's no room for interpretation at all.
    As long as perfection is unreachable there is always room for improvement.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21