Does it find itself when you lose it?

This is a discussion on Does it find itself when you lose it? within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6165070.stm...

  1. #1
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,417

    Does it find itself when you lose it?

    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  2. #2
    Anti-Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,399
    As soon as I started reading that article, I asked the same question that the author asks at the end: What happens when you lose the loc8tor?
    If I did your homework for you, then you might pass your class without learning how to write a program like this. Then you might graduate and get your degree without learning how to write a program like this. You might become a professional programmer without knowing how to write a program like this. Someday you might work on a project with me without knowing how to write a program like this. Then I would have to do you serious bodily harm. - Jack Klein

  3. #3
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,403
    The real solution will be in the future an implant... unless you, like me, lose your head often.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,449
    The simple solution - have it embeded in a wall of the home (the second one) and use this stationary to locate the first one (mobile)
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    The article mentions "a fine tradition" of metal detectors and treasure maps for finding things with technology, but it omits a far more important use (which incidentally uses devices extremely similar to this "Loc8tor"): finding avalanche victims.
    It is highly recommended to all mountaineers and off-track skiers that they carry a "Lawinenpiepserl" (the Austrian slang word for it) at all times. These act as senders in their default setting (obviously with a higher range than the tags of this new thing) and all of them can be set to receive, too. This way, anyone in a group of people can start searching immediately.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  6. #6
    Registered User divineleft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    158
    "And let us not forget... that the human race with technology, is like an alchoholist with a barrel of wine"

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Problem building Quake source
    By Silvercord in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 09:13 AM
  2. How to find O of threads ?
    By jabka in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
  3. ld.exe: cannot find -l-lstdc++
    By Tonto in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
  4. how do u find 2nd largest number??
    By juancardenas in forum C Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 07:28 AM
  5. Q: Recursion to find all paths of a maze
    By reti in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2002, 08:28 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21