Languages

This is a discussion on Languages within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I speak Estonian (my native language), English (6th year of English in school) and Russian a bit (3rd year)....

  1. #46
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    I speak Estonian (my native language), English (6th year of English in school) and Russian a bit (3rd year).
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  2. #47
    the Great ElastoManiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Republika Srpska - Balkan
    Posts
    377
    My native language is Serbian, But i've learned English, as you can see.
    lu lu lu I've got some apples lu lu lu You've got some too lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce Take off our clothes and lu lu lu

  3. #48
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Does anyone speak Russian?
    Yeah... about 280 million people...
    I am sure I will never get right is the der/die/das (word genders) almost everyone I have spoken to about it says you learn the common ones but to get it right almost all the time you have to be a native speaker.
    It depends... Then you go from using 6 tenses to just four - It's no so complex...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #49
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    There are no genders in Estonian.
    Last edited by maxorator; 11-14-2006 at 05:36 AM.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  5. #50
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Ok-ok, I also know about thing that can be found in German but has no equivalent in russian... (I mean 3 past times)
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  6. #51
    MFC killed my cat! manutd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    870
    Max, how hard is Russian?
    Silence is better than unmeaning words.
    - Pythagoras
    My blog

  7. #52
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Phoenix
    Yeah, I have always heard that English is a very difficult language to learn for people not born in America.
    Yeah, those Brits have a really hard time with English

    Of course, we don't exacly speak English either...
    That's the thing, of course. English isn't any easier for you - you just don't bother
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  8. #53
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,467
    I didn't have any problems with learning English. I'd not consider it an hard language to learn. It sure helps one is bombarded by it from everywhere, from TV to magazines and books and the internet. But when I was studying it in school, there wasn't that much exposure to the english language as there is nowadays. And yet, the learning process still wasn't that hard.

    Now, French? That's an hard language to speak correctly. At least for me.

    Currently I'm seriously considering learning Japanese. That, for some reason I can't explain, was always my dream language. Always wanted to learn it. I simply love the way it sounds. There's a school nearby where I can learn it. Price is fair and they promise all the way to level 5.
    The programmers wife tells him: Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  9. #54
    Supermassive black hole cboard_member's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,709
    I speak English. Yeah.
    I failed German when I was in school and never had the chance to learn French (not that I want too, but I guess I may need to some day)
    Good class architecture is not like a Swiss Army Knife; it should be more like a well balanced throwing knife.

    - Mike McShaffry

  10. #55
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Yeah, I have always heard that English is a very difficult language to learn for people not born in America.
    Actually that's not true. I'd say it was quite easy for me.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  11. #56
    The Right Honourable psychopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where circles begin.
    Posts
    1,070
    I know english. Ma fran&#231;ais est tr&#232;s terrible.
    Memorial University of Newfoundland
    Computer Science

    Mac and OpenGL evangelist.

  12. #57
     is offline
    ex-samurai 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    18
    off topic:GO MANUTD!!! they will surely win the premiership!
    on topic: i studied french for 2 years... je m'appelle &#167;&#225;&#223;&#248;†&#230;™. Thats the only thing that i can remember T_T. French is really confusin coz they have feminin and masculin nouns or w/e. u speak spanish? cool...what does "tontos" mean? some guy in desperado the game says that word a lot...

    o dam i didn know that page 2-4 existed...
    Quote Originally Posted by g4j31a5
    I can speak the national language, Indonesia, and English. Also a little Japanese. I had passed Noryoku Shiken (like a TOEFL for Japanese) level 4 (the lowest level) with a little over the passing boundary (67%) a few years ago. Forgot most of 'em now.
    can u speak indonesian language fluently? i can speak it a bit...apa kabar?
    Last edited by ; 11-14-2006 at 01:27 PM.

  13. #58
    Crazy Fool Perspective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,640
    FWIW: I found spanish to be much easier to learn than Japanese. Japanese is nice because the rules are so well defined and there are very few deviations (in "proper" japanese anyway). Spanish is nice and easy because of the similarities to english.

    I studied japanese for a year in uni, but I haven't kept up with it in the past few years. I've been learning Spanish for a year or so now and I can carry on basic conversations and understand most of what i hear from native speakers. I have a great resource (as in living people) to help me with spanish so that might be why i found it easier to learn.

  14. #59
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,467
    Yes, I don't think it will be easy considering I will have very few people to talk to in Japanese. However, I can for sure practice the writting on japanese based newsgroups and forums.

    Spanish doesn't interest me as I can mostly understand it all (Portuguese and Spanish are sister languages).
    The programmers wife tells him: Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  15. #60
     is offline
    ex-samurai 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    18
    You should learn spanish so that u can flirt with latino chicks...the ones who dont speak english anyway...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Why C Matters
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 08:09 AM
  2. Strange loop
    By D@rk_force in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 01:40 PM
  3. Languages dying
    By Zewu in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 10:08 AM
  4. Languages
    By KrAzY CrAb in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 11:23 AM
  5. Programming Languages
    By DarkViper in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 01:28 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21