AMD striking back?

This is a discussion on AMD striking back? within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; http://digitimes.com/mobos/a20061003A2005.html "Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is proceeding to switch 90% of its desktop-processor production to the 65nm node by the ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    163

    AMD striking back?

    http://digitimes.com/mobos/a20061003A2005.html

    "Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is proceeding to switch 90% of its desktop-processor production to the 65nm node by the end of 2007"

    I'd been told that AMD wouldn't even have their 65nm chips out until late in 07. Guess we'll see how well the core duo competes with AMDs 65nm dual core chips.

  2. #2
    Registered User Jaqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    416
    I guess you had disinformation about the availablility if they will be having 90% pf production to the 65nm chips by the end of 07, they would need to have them out by the middle of 07 at the latest to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Henager
    If the average user can put a CD in and boot the system and follow the prompts, he can install and use Linux. If he can't do that simple task, he doesn't need to be around technology.

  3. #3
    WDT
    WDT is offline
    Tha 1 Sick RAT
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    271
    Correct me on this if I'm wrong. but shortly after the Orchard Tree gang moved(a.k.a Apple for those of you who are stupmed ) away from the PPC chips, didn't IBM claim to have created 29nm chips?? I haven't investigated further, but Jobs musta wished they'd moved their arses sooner. Quick Jobs it's not too late to change back
    A hundred Elephants can knock down the walls of a fortress... One diseased rat can kill everyone inside

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by WDT
    Correct me on this if I'm wrong. but shortly after the Orchard Tree gang moved(a.k.a Apple for those of you who are stupmed ) away from the PPC chips, didn't IBM claim to have created 29nm chips?? I haven't investigated further, but Jobs musta wished they'd moved their arses sooner. Quick Jobs it's not too late to change back
    IBM has always been ahead of the game with their chips. Just recently has their architecture started to show its age.

    I'm excited that AMD isn't falling behind as I was told before. This means that quad-core processors will be affordable soon, and not so power hungry as to not be able to stick them in a notebook.

  5. #5
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Still, it will take more than 65nm chips to really catch up with the Core architecture. Like a new architecture on AMD's side.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    163
    I got the feeling that they'd be creating all-new chips with the AM2's.

  7. #7
    WDT
    WDT is offline
    Tha 1 Sick RAT
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by System_159
    I'm excited that AMD isn't falling behind as I was told before. This means that quad-core processors will be affordable soon, and not so power hungry as to not be able to stick them in a notebook.
    Quad core??!! So what now? We've left the MHz wars and moved onto the scaling wars.
    Innovation's what we need nowadays from evolution of technology. As intel has just shown with it's new Core2Duo, not just that but the ability to propely make use of it. Parallel programming hasn't really hit mainstream yet so dual core processing power is almost wasted on the desktop market imo; quad core?? Well I hope that IBM join the fight with a revised architecture based on their 29nm process. That'd be cool.
    A hundred Elephants can knock down the walls of a fortress... One diseased rat can kill everyone inside

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by WDT
    Quad core??!! So what now? We've left the MHz wars and moved onto the scaling wars.
    Innovation's what we need nowadays from evolution of technology. As intel has just shown with it's new Core2Duo, not just that but the ability to propely make use of it. Parallel programming hasn't really hit mainstream yet so dual core processing power is almost wasted on the desktop market imo; quad core?? Well I hope that IBM join the fight with a revised architecture based on their 29nm process. That'd be cool.
    Well, I'm not technically sure if it'll be considered quad core by all. They way they're phrasing it is that it's a dual core of a 64bit processor. I could be wrong though(I am a lot ).

    As for the architecture stuff. I don't know a whole lot about all that stuff, but I do know that the aging design of the IBM chip is one of the reasons Apple switched to Intel(some of the others being; dual boot with Windows is easier, increase in sales because people will see the "Intel Inside" logo, etc...).

    I also read that AMDs new chips will be starting out around 2.7ghz, though I can't remember where(I think digitimes.com).

    Well, the best thing about all these new advances is definately the price drops that we'll see on all the older(but still quite good) stuff.

  9. #9
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Some multithreaded games run twice as fast as they should on dual core (I have to "Set Affinity" to one core from Task Manager to run them normally), how would they run on a quad core processor?
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by System_159
    but I do know that the aging design of the IBM chip is one of the reasons Apple switched to Intel
    "aging design of the IBM chip", and yet the x86's design can be traced all the way back to 1972.
    System: Debian Sid and FreeBSD 7.0. Both with GCC 4.3.

    Useful resources:
    comp.lang.c FAQ | C++ FQA Lite

  11. #11
    Me -=SoKrA=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by maxorator
    Some multithreaded games run twice as fast as they should on dual core (I have to "Set Affinity" to one core from Task Manager to run them normally), how would they run on a quad core processor?
    The problem there isn't the multithreading (I'm not sure if those games are actually multithreaded), it's that the TSC (I think that's what it's called anyway, the timestamp on the core) isn't always on sync, so the programs run faster than they should.

    AMD released a patch (well, the Windows equivalent of a patch) for the Windows API that fixes this problem. I can't recall the name at the moment, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

    Quote Originally Posted by WDT
    Innovation's what we need nowadays from evolution of technology. As intel has just shown with it's new Core2Duo,
    ITYM Core2, Core2 Duo is just the version with two cores on the die.

    Also, all these cores aren't really all that relevant for the desktop (I love dual-core for compiling stuff, the write-compile-test cycle is much faster), but rather for the server market, where more processors is a Good Thing. For the home sector, it's not all that relevant.

    These aren't that many cores though, OpenSPARC (aka Sparc T1 aka Niagara) can run 32 threads concurrently, though I'm not sure how many cores it has.
    SoKrA-BTS "Judge not the program I made, but the one I've yet to code"
    I say what I say, I mean what I mean.
    IDE: emacs + make + gcc and proud of it.

  12. #12
    WDT
    WDT is offline
    Tha 1 Sick RAT
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    271
    I think they best way to utilise the power of multi-cores on the desktop markets is to use them for the GP units.. Anyone notice how that side of desktop evolution is headed down the same path as the CP units?? If the cell was, say used as the GP units for the PS3 and the cpu was just a single/dual core it's be out ages ago as it won't be the hell to work on that it is right now.
    A hundred Elephants can knock down the walls of a fortress... One diseased rat can kill everyone inside

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Back to the drawing board
    By VirtualAce in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 05:53 PM
  2. "if you love someone" :D
    By Carlos in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 02:10 AM
  3. UInt to CString and back
    By xlnk in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 04:08 PM
  4. Some woman back ended my car today, and back hurts
    By Terrance in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 01:42 AM
  5. Yey Im Back!
    By (TNT) in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 04:07 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21