Logic for computer science.

This is a discussion on Logic for computer science. within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Is it just me, or do I have no Idea what's going on in this class. It reminds me of ...

  1. #1
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901

    Logic for computer science.

    Is it just me, or do I have no Idea what's going on in this class. It reminds me of the time I got lost in the grocery store when I was little, except then I at least knew the difference between a banana and an orange. I know I'm not the only one in the class, because several have already expressed their frustration. I don't know, maybe I'm just not focusing enough, but it doesn't *click* with myself. Anyone take this horrific course before?

  2. #2
    Registered Luser risby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by indigo0086
    except then I at least knew the difference between a banana and an orange.
    Oranges are spherical and coloured orange. Bananas are more cylindrical and coloured yellow, often with black spots.
    ===
    Don't grumble about what you can't have;
    be grateful you don't get what you deserve.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    123
    Except in Florida, where oranges are green
    Well, they were when I was there earlier this year. I know ... I ate one.
    I think you can put a signature here.

  4. #4
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by risby
    Oranges are spherical and coloured orange. Bananas are more cylindrical and coloured yellow, often with black spots.
    prove it

    ...case 1 billion, let O and W be two disjoint oranges, one the color of orange, and one without...

  5. #5
    geek SilentStrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,141
    Maybe your professor is just bad? Do you have any specific questions?
    Prove you can code in C++ or C# at TopCoder, referrer rrenaud
    Read my livejournal

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentStrike
    Maybe your professor is just bad? Do you have any specific questions?
    What's the topic of the class currently? I can't tell by the name of it, because it could be either an intro class or a higher up class.

  7. #7
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    Heh, anyone ever hear about the Riemann Hypothesis? Basically, to date (to a few billion test numbers, it's got something to do with the frequency of random numbers), it has proved true to the hypothesis, but that doesn't count as a mathematical proof. So, with this whole fruit debate that's going on, whose to say a banana is 'cylindrical', an orange is 'spherical' etc. Anyone remember those rectangular water melons?

    Back on topic.

    I had two subjects last year where I didn't have a clue what the lecturer was on about, so I think I went to about 5 or 7 classes between them both. Complaints were made, and contrary to past practices, the tests weren't incredibly difficult (people who previously complained about these particular lecturers were graced with horrible exams at summer). My advice - get the exam papers! Even if it is ridiculously early for getting them. Look through them. See what you can/can't do (what course material you have covered, not what questions are too hard). Try to do them, and try to get answers for everything.

  8. #8
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    I actually scored a copy of a past exam. But it's just unbeleivable how if you look around the class, you don't just see the other students with an indifferent ambiguous look on their face, but most of them give obvious "JESUS CHRIST KILL ME!" look on their face, and afterwards several students get together to share how much they didn't understand. I mean it was like a guy was telling me, when you try to explain 1 + 1 = 2 to a pre-schooler, it doesn't click to them. I just am not coming from where the teacher is personally. I either have to drop this class, or drop all the other ones. I will just take the first test, probably fail the thing, and drop it. I have three other classes that are less time consuming to merely fathom let alone understand, and need three good grades rather than three okay ones and a horrible one.

    Mainly it's the proofs that are confusing. I mean I KNOW what I have to prove, but when pencil hits the paper, I have to refer to EVERYTHING before it to even start the proof. Sometimes it's not so hard, but most of the time it is.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by indigo0086
    I actually scored a copy of a past exam. But it's just unbeleivable how if you look around the class, you don't just see the other students with an indifferent ambiguous look on their face, but most of them give obvious "JESUS CHRIST KILL ME!" look on their face, and afterwards several students get together to share how much they didn't understand. I mean it was like a guy was telling me, when you try to explain 1 + 1 = 2 to a pre-schooler, it doesn't click to them. I just am not coming from where the teacher is personally. I either have to drop this class, or drop all the other ones. I will just take the first test, probably fail the thing, and drop it. I have three other classes that are less time consuming to merely fathom let alone understand, and need three good grades rather than three okay ones and a horrible one.

    Mainly it's the proofs that are confusing. I mean I KNOW what I have to prove, but when pencil hits the paper, I have to refer to EVERYTHING before it to even start the proof. Sometimes it's not so hard, but most of the time it is.
    Man I would suggest http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/lics/
    , logic is really somewhat abstract on the beginning also needs tons of exercises to be grokked I would suggest you to don't drop it cause many important things will come from this branch of CS if you plan to keep the course. If you want something really wierd and damm useless look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_theory this is freaking worthless x17 is present in my course cause a teacher who never did anything usefull in life considers this of "ultimate" importance for a CS course. Btw I had the test today and after like 1 week of study I think I screwed the plan of scoring well on the first and get some breath for the others.

  10. #10
    pwns nooblars
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,094
    I never liked Proofs myself, luckly no programming class has had a real proofs section just kinda glossed over it. If you guys have any real questions, bring them here I am sure we wouldn't mind discussing them with you guys. As long as your are just trying to gleam answers for homework and are honestly needing us to help you understand post away.

  11. #11
    glo
    glo is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    169
    Does anyone here know where can I learn or at least get an introduction of the subject / proving?
    Thanks.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by glo
    Does anyone here know where can I learn or at least get an introduction of the subject / proving?
    Thanks.
    Google, Wikipedia, some universities also disponibilize their material online just look for logic courses in google :P

  13. #13
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Maragato
    Man I would suggest http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/lics/
    , logic is really somewhat abstract on the beginning also needs tons of exercises to be grokked I would suggest you to don't drop it cause many important things will come from this branch of CS if you plan to keep the course. If you want something really wierd and damm useless look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_theory this is freaking worthless x17 is present in my course cause a teacher who never did anything usefull in life considers this of "ultimate" importance for a CS course. Btw I had the test today and after like 1 week of study I think I screwed the plan of scoring well on the first and get some breath for the others.
    The thing is unless I want to do AI or something this course isn't hugely important to the rest of CS. I'm almost finished and am taking data structures, graph theory, and computer organization and those I can handle, they are interesting and fairly easy to learn. I look in the logic book (written by my professor) and it looks like he made this all up in a psychotic fit. If I drop it I'll eventually have to take it again, but at a lighter coursework, maybe one of my lame courses.

    Oh, not to mention there is a 1 credit course that is like a ton of presentations. Ethics in computer science....lame.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by indigo0086
    The thing is unless I want to do AI or something this course isn't hugely important to the rest of CS. I'm almost finished and am taking data structures, graph theory, and computer organization and those I can handle, they are interesting and fairly easy to learn. I look in the logic book (written by my professor) and it looks like he made this all up in a psychotic fit. If I drop it I'll eventually have to take it again, but at a lighter coursework, maybe one of my lame courses.

    Oh, not to mention there is a 1 credit course that is like a ton of presentations. Ethics in computer science....lame.
    As a student wich i finishing CS course going to study abroad I insist logic is important and believe I hate theorical /*fluffy cushions*/
    Last edited by Ken Fitlike; 09-28-2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: please don't try to bypass the profanity filter, it's there for a very good reason

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    446
    At my school this was called "Fundamentals of Higher math" or something like that. There is a belief that the same sort of skills that are required for programming, are also required for doing proofs.

    While this might be true, it didn't stop me from absolutely hating the class. It was one of those, "I'm never going to use this again in my life, ever." experiences. I mean, I get it: logic, critical thinking, applying a series of rules to solve a problem. They're important skills. But really, you can learn those skills 15 different ways. And doing proofs just happens to be the most stick-up-the-ass way that that I can think of to do it.

    I guess you just have to stick it out like the rest of us did, even if you don't like it. That's part of what college is about, anyway.
    The crows maintain that a single crow could destroy the heavens. Doubtless this is so. But it proves nothing against the heavens, for the heavens signify simply: the impossibility of crows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Frozen water found on Mars
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 01:43 PM
  2. Digital Logic
    By strokebow in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2006, 01:05 PM
  3. General question about C++ Programming/Computer Science
    By learning C++ in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 10:18 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21