Your government will maintain control! (Part 2)

This is a discussion on Your government will maintain control! (Part 2) within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Bad news everyone, remember a little while ago some kid posted a thread about how the government is running a ...

  1. #1
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175

    Your government will maintain control! (Part 2)

    Bad news everyone, remember a little while ago some kid posted a thread about how the government is running a "drill" where they are putting all their important personnel in bunkers around the country?

    Well that all went down today, and it turns out that very soon a huge asteroid is coming extremely close to us

    http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/db_shm?sstr=2004%20XP14

    I am not sure what an AU is but on July 3rd a huge piece of rock is going to be about .0035 of them away from earth

    I, for one, refuse to listen to reason. These two things are definitely related and it probably means we are all going to die so you guys had better start preparing

  2. #2
    The Right Honourable psychopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where circles begin.
    Posts
    1,070
    1 AU = 1 Astronomical Unit = 149,597,871 kilometers
    Memorial University of Newfoundland
    Computer Science

    Mac and OpenGL evangelist.

  3. #3
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    so then the asteroid is going to be 509592 kilometers from earth

    that is mad close man especially for astronomical standards

  4. #4
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,439
    Very close yes. Thankfully orbit measurements are very precise. They can be correctly calculated to the precision of centimeters. So no worries there. Let them play bunkers. They love it.

    The distance is still further away than moon's average distance to earth. So, astronomically very close, but as far as life on earth is considered... "Missed! Nah nah!"
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  5. #5
    The Right Honourable psychopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where circles begin.
    Posts
    1,070
    Looking at the simulation in that link, the asteroid comes close to earth every 25 years. For some reason, it's significantly closer this year than any other.
    Memorial University of Newfoundland
    Computer Science

    Mac and OpenGL evangelist.

  6. #6
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by psychopath
    Looking at the simulation in that link, the asteroid comes close to earth every 25 years. For some reason, it's significantly closer this year than any other.
    because this is the apocalypse man what have I been telling you guys

    also I bet the government told NASA or whoever to make it seem like it will miss us you guys are blind if you can't figure this out

  7. #7
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by psychopath
    Looking at the simulation in that link, the asteroid comes close to earth every 25 years. For some reason, it's significantly closer this year than any other.
    When are we just gonna laser the son of a .......... and end the whole thing? *peuy peuy*
    Sent from my iPad®

  8. #8
    Anti-Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom
    When are we just gonna laser the son of a .......... and end the whole thing? *peuy peuy*
    Why would you want to do that to SniperSAS?

    Oh...you mean the asteroid.
    If I did your homework for you, then you might pass your class without learning how to write a program like this. Then you might graduate and get your degree without learning how to write a program like this. You might become a professional programmer without knowing how to write a program like this. Someday you might work on a project with me without knowing how to write a program like this. Then I would have to do you serious bodily harm. - Jack Klein

  9. #9
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,439
    Both objects have stable orbits. The tendency seems to be in fact for the asteroid to move further away from earth (you can check this with the ephemeris calculation). The approximation is certainly due to the relative positions, since both objects have different revolution times and velocity.

    Also, 2004 XP14 was removed from the Impact Risk table last year.

    I'm no fun
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  10. #10
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,673
    In the light of this new evidence that there is actually a table of things that are flying around in Space waiting to destroy us, I agree with SlyMaelstrom. We need to work on that laser immediately! Even if we have to power down all of Japan to fire it.

  11. #11
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,439
    I blame it on the canadians
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  12. #12
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    By this time next week, NASA should enact operation Death Star! Errr.... for astroids, that is.

    ...
    ... and small annoying planets.
    Sent from my iPad®

  13. #13
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by pianorain
    Why would you want to do that to SniperSAS?

    Oh...you mean the asteroid.
    You know what pianorain i am getting pretty sick of your constant abuse and if you think I am going to keep tolerating it you are wrong










































    dead wrong

  14. #14

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    Don't worry, I just called Bruce Willis.
    I'm not immature, I'm refined in the opposite direction.

  15. #15
    Sweet
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,803
    Why does it stop at 2200 what happens after that huh????????
    Woop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Tab Controls - API
    By -KEN- in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2002, 09:44 AM
  2. Updating Static Control Color Real-Time :: MFC
    By kuphryn in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2002, 03:09 PM
  3. Beginning MFC (Prosise) Part III - Now What? :: C++
    By kuphryn in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2002, 05:58 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21