What makes WoW so damn addictive?

This is a discussion on What makes WoW so damn addictive? within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by ethic Guild Wars doesn't manage to provide the exact same service as WoW. The games are completely ...

  1. #61
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by ethic
    Guild Wars doesn't manage to provide the exact same service as WoW. The games are completely different.
    maybe not the exact same service but then again I never said "exact", and yes i already know they are different games

    Quote Originally Posted by ethic
    Since the WoW's release, there have been something like 6 new
    dungeons added (Maraudon, Dire Maul, Blackwing Lair, Zul'Gurub,
    Ahn'Qiraj, and today Naxxramas).
    i might not be right on this but apparently guild wars has added an entire new continent

    Quote Originally Posted by ethic
    Not only that, but a huge PvP
    system was incorporated with 3 differenet battlegrounds - Arathi
    Basin (capture and hold), Warsong Guch (capture the flag), and
    Alterac Valley (40 vs 40).
    the ability to attack other players on 3 different settings? my god this is revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by ethic
    Either one of these patches could have been probably been sold
    as an expansion.
    see this is exactly what i am talking about, you are convinced that this is an acceptable deal

    Quote Originally Posted by ethic
    And every company profits at the expense of their customers.
    Who else would they profit off of? God, what a retarded
    statement.
    please don't get so upset it was just a misunderstanding

    Quote Originally Posted by ethic
    You're not understanding the difference between the two games.
    again i know they are different games and if this is your primary argument then please get out of the thread

  2. #62
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    SniperSAS I take it you've never been involved in a guild (or whatever X game calls it) having over 50 people that did raids on a regular basis. When you are involved in the leadership of it you do gain real leadership skills.
    good maybe some day the few people who lead large WoW guilds will be strong leaders i really have no idea where this is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    You have to take into account people's availablity, their personalities, their skills, and their goals and desires.
    i will remember these wise words as long as I live

    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    Its very social when you have to make a plan of attack, effectively communicate that plan, coordinate the peope involved, execute that plan. Then if you fail you have to keep people's moral up while you evalute what went wrong, see if you can reattempt it then, deal with people going AFK during the recovery, etc.
    thank you for this lesson in WoW battle tactics

    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    If you succeed then you have an almost bigger challenge in dividing up the rewards, sometimes convenicening others to allow someone else to get something for the good of the group.
    I will rule like a tyrant and keep the treasure all for myself


    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    All that above IS social behavior.
    alright, now that we went through all of that, this is the last time i am going to say it: you can socially interact people in real life (IRL for all of you nerds hahahah) for free

  3. #63
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Just to let everyone know, we can no return to an intelligent dicussion about the reasons we play games, and even why we might feel the need to play them, free of stupid comments by a troll named SniperSAS.

  4. #64
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperSAS
    i might not be right on this but apparently guild wars has added an entire new continent
    I do believe that's a whole new $50 you have to pay to get that continent, correct? Looks like they just paid a 3 month subscription.
    Sent from my iPad®

  5. #65
    Ecologist
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Utah.
    Posts
    1,291
    the ability to attack other players on 3 different settings? my god this is revolutionary
    God, pay attention. I never said it was revolutionary. I said
    it was additional content that was provided and was included
    in the subscription fee.

    Besides, as far as MMORPGs go, WoW PvP is pretty unique. WoW
    is, in my opinion, the best team-oriented PvP game ever created;
    including any FPS game you can name. Everybody has a job.
    Healers, warriors, flag runners (I'm a druid! ), rogues. They all
    have abilities that add more depth to a game of CTF or Capture
    and Hold.

    Also, the monthly fee for WoW keeps most of the annoying
    kids away. The majority of people I've met online are in their
    20s. Most successful guilds don't even recruit people under 18.

    This Shaman kicks ass. I want a shaman, too.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7&q=shaman+pvp
    Staying away from General.

  6. #66
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    Sniper, you sound pretty ........ed off and jealous while at the same time showing very little knowledge about the game that's the topic here.

    Just for your information, because I guess you never made it into a guild that is experiencing the end game of WoW:

    You cannot go "LFG MC/BWL/AQ40/NAXX" in a city. You will never get forty people organized out of the blue. Even if you did, they'd never have the prequests. You need a real world organization called guild or raid alliance that manages the real world people behind WoW. Our guild consist of 80 people, all having jobs, family and other things todo. It is a real world challenge to get 40 people playing at the same time and it is a leadership challenge to have them do as you say. If you deny this, then you have probably never tried.

    Having 40 people in a TS channel is social. You can like it or hate it, but it's the same thing as a 40 people telephone conference. My personal guess from your ........y attitude is that you have never experienced a TS server going down in flames because 40 people wildly cheering at the same time when they got a personal first kill on a hard boss. Yes, it's just bits and bytes. It doesn't matter. It's fun. The same way that pushing a vaguely round shape of air-filled animal skin across a line does not matter really. And yet, it's fun. The way you play MMORPGs may not be social. But that's not my problem.

    You call me an idiot because I'm paying 15$ a month ? Maybe when you start actually earning money and buying the games you play, you will notice that 15$ a month is still cheaper than buying a new game four times a year.

    All in all, I think you don't even know what you are talking about. Either you never had the money to spare to buy an account, or you were kicked from your guild before the game really started.

    There is no need to like WoW. I know enough people that "don't have the time to spare" ( instead hanging out in front of the tv, go figure ), that don't like the comic style graphics or who'd rather pirate the games the want to play and hate that there is no way to do this in WoW and actually would have to pay. All more or less legitimate reasons. Your reasoning and attitude just says one thing: "I'm jealous".
    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  7. #67
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,517
    As far as I'm concerned, my dislike from game the likes of WoW where social interaction is a large and fundamental aspect for the enjoyment of the game (and you can put in here all MMORPGs, MUDs and a large variety of online game), is exactly the fact that they end up providing life-like experience in which I have to put up with the "worst" our society has to offer. Whinning kiddos, rude and abusive people, ignorant brats, delusional admins, tyrannic and outright evil players, attention seekers, etc...

    It goes without saying that other players may look at me and think that they will have to put up with my holier than thou attitude. I concede.

    Regardless, I avoid all of the above types in real life. Thus, it is hard for me to actually draw any enjoyment from these games and conceive having to actually spend money for this. My personal experiences have been always a mixture of swooning over success, and aggravation over the idiocy that generally populates online gamming communities in large numbers.

    I find online games where social interaction is not a premium factor, to be much more enjoyable. Online strategy and war games, and PBEM games have been my favorite types. Here players make a much better effort in concentrating on what matters, the game itself. Even in strategy/war games where diplomacy plays a major role the interaction is usually stripped of any social context.

    However, this is obviously both a matter of personal taste (I always prefered strategy and war games), but also probably a matter of some social inepcy on my part when it comes to online gamming communities (trust me I'm otherwise perfectly normal in real life).

    It's a shame this discussion got drifted towards this, though. It was becoming interesting when the argument was this notion that people are starting to find perfectly natural to pay regularly to keep playing a game. Especially considering that what is being offered is really not much different from what has been offered in the past at no additional cost.

    It concerns me that this widespread acceptance is not being matched with trully innovative in-game technologies, but insteady simply the providing of more game elements. It's a gold pot for game developers and it adds nothing trully interesting for the game community, that hasn't been offered before for free.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 06-21-2006 at 04:56 AM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #68
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    Especially considering that what is being offered is really not much different from what has been offered in the past at no additional cost.
    I have a long history of MMORPGs back to the date when 10 players meeting in a 2D pub that even I could have painted with Windows Paint was considered "Massive". As with all software there will always be some products that are free and some that cost money. The free products will always have the hidden cost of manpower while the subscription based products always dominate with their ease of use and noob-friendliness.

    Name a game ( present or past ) that has the same features as WoW and is free of charge. I cannot name one. WoW is not perfect, I think the crafting/resource system of SWG was waaaaaay superior. But I don't think there's a free, legal alternative.

    But please don't suggest one with half the featureset. I know that a car with four wheels costs money and I will pay even if I could get one with only two wheels left from the thrash for free.

    The cost btw. is negligible. 15$ per month ? I spend more going to the movies just once. Alone.
    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  9. #69
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Normal adult price for a movie in my area: $9.50
    Guestimated cost of getting snacks and drink: $5.00
    Total cost: $14.50
    Guessimated average length of a movie: 2 hours
    Cost per hour: $7.25

    Average monthly cost of a MMORPG: $15
    Hours in a month (30.5 days): 732
    Cost per hour: $0.02
    Since its really hard to play 24 hours a day, lets go with 4 hours per day of play
    Hours of play in the month: 122
    Cost per hour: $0.12

    Ah but what about the inital cost of the game you say?
    Typical cost of the game itself: $50

    So assume one movie per month.
    Cost/hour of movies as a function of time: C = 7.25t
    Cost/hour of the game as a function of time: C = 0.12t + 50

    7.25t = 0.12t + 50
    7.13t = 50
    t = 7.01

    So if you play the game for 7 months then you've spent less money then going to the movies one a month. For those who play more then 4 hours a day its even a better deal.

    Now personally I love both online and offline games. I've been playing Oblivion which is my first experience with the Elder Scrolls games, and I am truely enjoying the game.

  10. #70
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,517
    I've been trying to avoid drawing comparisons between offline and online games. But more than that I've been trying to avoid drawing comparisons between other enjoyment levels.

    Using your arguments I could perhaps state that a day at the beach or around a table playing with my daughter and wife is cheaper than playing an online game. However, I don't believe that would make a good argument, for the same reason comparing an online game money expenditure with a movie doesn't.

    What I do say though, is that once the game is created and the online game community established, money still flows towards the gamming company and the only thing it provides to its players is new game elements (new areas, items, PvP choices, etc...). This is not any different from what has been done in the past for free.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 06-21-2006 at 06:58 AM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  11. #71
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    This is not any different from what has been done in the past for free.
    Source ? Name one MMORPG that did or does the same for free.
    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  12. #72
    Supermassive black hole cboard_member's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,709
    This thread has been... intriguing. Educational.
    I'm not going to say much since I've hardly played any RPG (let alone MMO) except Oblivion (which I'm loving).
    Good class architecture is not like a Swiss Army Knife; it should be more like a well balanced throwing knife.

    - Mike McShaffry

  13. #73
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,517
    Quote Originally Posted by nvoigt
    Source ? Name one MMORPG that did or does the same for free.
    What do you mean name one MMORPG?

    Runescape, Guild Wars, Rubies of Eventide. Or do you want a list of free MMORPGs?
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  14. #74
    Ecologist
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Utah.
    Posts
    1,291
    That's it! I'm reactivating my druid!
    Staying away from General.

  15. #75
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F.
    What do you mean name one MMORPG?

    Runescape, Guild Wars, Rubies of Eventide. Or do you want a list of free MMORPGs?
    Tell me you didn't just say Runescape... that game has about as much depth as a centerfold's bio sheet. You can't possibly even think of comparing this to WoW.

    Guild Wars, I've said about a million things about and won't repeat myself and Rubies of Eventide, around four months after release, has already taken flack for its lack of gameplay.

    None of those games are comparable to WoW and won't last half as long.

    It's like a free sample in a mall... just because people stop and take a piece doesn't mean they would prefer it over the expensive brand, it just means that it's free...
    Sent from my iPad®

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Damn ATI!
    By AloneInTheDark in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 08:34 PM
  2. strcmp returning 1...
    By Axel in forum C Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 07:48 PM
  3. This makes me SO mad!!
    By minesweeper in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 05:34 PM
  4. What makes it so special?
    By sean in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2002, 09:48 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21