What makes WoW so damn addictive?

This is a discussion on What makes WoW so damn addictive? within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom There was a fungi in WoW? I had no idea what you were talking about before, ...

  1. #31
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom
    There was a fungi in WoW?
    I had no idea what you were talking about before, I have no idea what you are talking about now

    I even had to look up the definition of "twink"

    Quote Originally Posted by XSquared
    Teh cyborz keeps me in WoW lawl.

    But seriously, it's the social aspect of the game that keeps me there. The challenge of organizing 40 people to achieve the same thing is something that I really enjoy, especially looking back and seeing what we've done.
    yeah what a social challenge, standing in a city shouting "LFG 20 HUNTER" until someone invites you to a group

    if you consider that social put down the game controller and go outside for a few minutes, please

    edit- maybe that is what keeps people playing WoW, the fact that they can waste their life on some bad game and still convince themselves they are doing something social
    Last edited by SniperSAS; 06-20-2006 at 07:32 PM.

  2. #32
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperSAS
    I had no idea what you were talking about before, I have no idea what you are talking about now

    I even had to look up the definition of "twink"
    OMG U R A NUB! LOL!!!!!
    Sent from my iPad®

  3. #33
    C++ Developer XSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,718
    >yeah what a social challenge, standing in a city shouting "LFG 20 HUNTER" until someone invites you to a group
    >if you consider that social put down the game controller and go outside for a few minutes, please

    No, it's the fact that my friends from University who are scattered all over the place all play with me, and it's a great way for us to get together and have some fun even though physical distance prevents us from actually getting together in person. I've also gained friends in-game who we've arranged get-togethers with.
    Naturally I didn't feel inspired enough to read all the links for you, since I already slaved away for long hours under a blistering sun pressing the search button after typing four whole words! - Quzah

    You. Fetch me my copy of the Wall Street Journal. You two, fight to the death - Stewie

  4. #34
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom
    OMG U R A NUB! LOL!!!!!
    STFU NO U MY 60 ON ANOTHER SERVER WOULD PWN U

    Quote Originally Posted by XSquared
    No, it's the fact that my friends from University who are scattered all over the place all play with me, and it's a great way for us to get together and have some fun even though physical distance prevents us from actually getting together in person. I've also gained friends in-game who we've arranged get-togethers with.
    i change my previous statement to

    "yeah what a social challenge, calling your friends and saying "want to play some WoW" "

    here's a novel idea how about instead of paying an extra monthly fee for WoW you just talk to them on the phone like a sane person
    Last edited by SniperSAS; 06-20-2006 at 07:49 PM.

  5. #35
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,511
    Quote Originally Posted by XSquared
    No, it's the fact that my friends from University who are scattered all over the place all play with me, and it's a great way for us to get together and have some fun even though physical distance prevents us from actually getting together in person. I've also gained friends in-game who we've arranged get-togethers with.
    I's beautiful, isn't it? Making friends, killing virtual characters, paying for all of that.... I know. I'm a softy.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  6. #36
    C++ Developer XSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,718
    I never said it was a social challenge, but it's a good way to keep in touch regularly. We all have fun playing, and we get to harass old friends easily.
    Naturally I didn't feel inspired enough to read all the links for you, since I already slaved away for long hours under a blistering sun pressing the search button after typing four whole words! - Quzah

    You. Fetch me my copy of the Wall Street Journal. You two, fight to the death - Stewie

  7. #37
    C++ Developer XSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,718
    >I's beautiful, isn't it? Making friends, killing virtual characters, paying for all of that.... I know. I'm a softy.

    It's a game, we have fun, we get to chat with friends. It's worth the $15/month to us. If you disagree, nobody's forcing you to do it.
    Naturally I didn't feel inspired enough to read all the links for you, since I already slaved away for long hours under a blistering sun pressing the search button after typing four whole words! - Quzah

    You. Fetch me my copy of the Wall Street Journal. You two, fight to the death - Stewie

  8. #38
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,511
    I disagree. Nobody forced me, therefore I am... not!

    In the meanwhile don't take comments personally. I just happen to think the game is a waste of time. If you disagree, nobody is forcing you not playing it.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  9. #39
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by XSquared
    social aspect of the game that keeps me there. The challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by XSquared
    I never said it was a social challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by XSquared
    It's a game, we have fun, we get to chat with friends. It's worth the $15/month to us.
    like i said before you can have fun talking to friends over the internet or better yet on the phone

    and you know there are online games that actually require teamwork, social interaction, and on top of all this don't require a monthly fee?

  10. #40
    C++ Developer XSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,718
    Okay, some clarification on what I said. I consider running raids/leading groups to be an organizational challenge, not a social one.

    >like i said before you can have fun talking to friends over the internet or better yet on the phone
    Yes, we could talk over the internet if we chose to, or the phone. But we all enjoy playing WoW, which allows us to do something other than just talk.

    >and you know there are online games that actually require teamwork, social interaction, and on top of all this don't require a monthly fee?
    So far we haven't found any other games that appeal to us more than WoW, and the $15/month is not an issue for us.
    Naturally I didn't feel inspired enough to read all the links for you, since I already slaved away for long hours under a blistering sun pressing the search button after typing four whole words! - Quzah

    You. Fetch me my copy of the Wall Street Journal. You two, fight to the death - Stewie

  11. #41
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,074
    I played EQ for 3 years at $10/month and managed to sell my account for $500, so moneywise it was worth it. I also played with plenty of people I know whom I went out with almost daily. It did a minor dent on my social life, but more so on my schoolwork and health due to lack of sleep.

    It's not the worst hobby I've had. I managed to sell all my old Magic: The Gathering cards for just over $1100 and lord knows I spent more than that on those.
    Sent from my iPad®

  12. #42
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    well i can't really argue with "it is fun to me" since that really isn't an argument, and the same goes to "i don't care about paying a monthly fee even though there is no logic in that"

  13. #43
    C++ Developer XSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,718
    >i don't care about paying a monthly fee even though there is no logic in that
    How is there no logic in it? Blizzard provides me with a service (having their servers available for me to play on the majority of the time). It's merely compensation for the service.

    All I came here to do was state my opinion about the OP's question, not start a flame war. I realize that people think it's a waste of money and of time, but again, I personally find it enjoyable, and to each their own.
    Naturally I didn't feel inspired enough to read all the links for you, since I already slaved away for long hours under a blistering sun pressing the search button after typing four whole words! - Quzah

    You. Fetch me my copy of the Wall Street Journal. You two, fight to the death - Stewie

  14. #44
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by XSquared
    How is there no logic in it? Blizzard provides me with a service (having their servers available for me to play on the majority of the time). It's merely compensation for the service.
    Gee I wonder how guild wars manages to provide the exact same service for no cost, it couldn't possibly be because blizzard is just trying to make more and more profit at the expense of their customers

    Quote Originally Posted by XSquared
    and to each their own.
    I hope you are right, I am just afraid that once game developers realize they can charge people a monthly fee to play a worse version of the games they had before they are going to start doing that instead of making good games for the normal people

    edit- I wonder what blizzard would have made if they weren't working on World of Warcraft
    Last edited by SniperSAS; 06-20-2006 at 08:29 PM.

  15. #45
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,074
    What are you joking? Most of the paying MMORPGs are vastly superior because you pay. That money goes to permanent GMs that manage account, bug, and server issues. Everquest had regular updates every few days. No bug lasted more than a week and entire new patches came out regularly. That money was well spent. Trust me, I played plenty of free RPGs and they sucked compared to Everquest. If you have the money and plan on wasting time with RPGs anyway, then the money is well spent.

    Guildwars is attempting to make a game that so many MMORPGs have tried before it. A perfectly balanced, fun for all levels multiplayer game. It simply doesn't work. Players find issues and exploit them immediately. There will be weak races and classes and gear and you can't change that. I'm thinking it won't go much further than Shadowbane.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 06-20-2006 at 08:37 PM.
    Sent from my iPad®

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Damn ATI!
    By AloneInTheDark in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 08:34 PM
  2. strcmp returning 1...
    By Axel in forum C Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 07:48 PM
  3. This makes me SO mad!!
    By minesweeper in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 05:34 PM
  4. What makes it so special?
    By sean in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2002, 09:48 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21