Laugh at my work day
I had an idea. I'm unhappy with the latest incarnation of my "engine", dubbed Grey_Fox (t'is a long story) and thought some people here would be interested in looking at it.
No reason why you would want to. Maybe to laugh at it, slap me over my over-commenting (I comment a lot more when I'm tired, by the way). Maybe someone might learn something (like how not to do things).
Maybe one or two of you are interested in how I layout my code. Meh, unlikely.
Anyway, here's a link to a .zip of the project (Visual Studio .NET 2003 project files):
EDIT: Warning for those of you who don't use a 1280xX screen resolution, the length of the lines may seem a little, well, long. Damn my 1280x960.
I didn't build the project, I don't have .net 2003 currently installed, but I did take a gander at the source. Main.cpp looked a little funny, but overall it seems you've got a good start (better than I thought, to be honest).
No reason why you couldn't continue work to make a game.
Main.cpp is sort of empty (I need to move the singleton creation somewhere else, possibly a manager). There actually isn't a mainloop yet since this was more of a fresh start and wanted to focus on everything bar the game loop / rendering.
When I start again (in the next couple of hours) I'll be taking some parts of that and building up on it.
Well good luck with that then!
Looks good so far, it's almost cross platform too (I ran across a MessageBox), keep in mind it may take very little work to make and keep it cross platform since you're using SDL.
I've been thinking about making it cross-platform and have decided it would be a good idea. It's only a little extra work (mainly wrapping certain blocks in #ifdef / #endif's).
>mainly wrapping certain blocks in #ifdef / #endif's).
This works well, however, don't litter them throughout your code. The best way to write cross platform code that needs platform specific parts, is to isolate those parts into separate modules. Then you can either substitute the platform specific version of those modules at build time, or #ifdef them in that module.