Violent video games?

This is a discussion on Violent video games? within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; LOL. I gotta get that shirt....

  1. #46
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,596
    LOL. I gotta get that shirt.

  2. #47
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    > However, consider this: there where violent games, music and movies before columbine, but news reports regarding columbine only took place after.

    News reports regarding Columbine only took place after Columbine? That's a totally valid point, thanks for making it!

    Protip: Go stick a broken bottle up your ass.

    Off the top of my head, here are 2 school shootings that predate Columbine. Feel free to ignore them though, since they go against your completely screwed up worldview, though

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paducah...eath_shootings
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonesboro_massacre

    Take note that I linked you right to the relevant information instead of saying "There's something on wikipedia about it, go find it"
    Last edited by Govtcheez; 04-25-2006 at 06:21 AM.

  3. #48
    The Earth is not flat. Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,420
    I don't need psycho babble to tell me if games affect me or not.
    Sure you do. Scientific method > Introspection.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  4. #49
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    > However, consider this: there where violent games, music and movies before columbine, but news reports regarding columbine only took place after.

    News reports regarding Columbine only took place after Columbine? That's a totally valid point, thanks for making it!
    I was trying to show you that it obviously wasn't video games or movies or whatever that caused the increased violence rates, since they existed before columbine. I intended to suggest that one big difference between the two periods was the media hype surounding columbine, sorry the point I was trying to make went over your head

    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    Protip: Go stick a broken bottle up your ass.
    I don't see how this furthers your argument at all

    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    Off the top of my head, here are 2 school shootings that predate Columbine. Feel free to ignore them though, since they go against your completely screwed up worldview, though

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paducah...eath_shootings
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonesboro_massacre

    Take note that I linked you right to the relevant information instead of saying "There's something on wikipedia about it, go find it"
    I already know that there was school violence before columbine, what I was trying to show you was that it occurred more often post columbine.

    Feb. 29, 2000
    Mount Morris Township, Mich. Six-year-old Kayla Rolland shot dead at Buell Elementary School near Flint, Mich. The assailant was identified as a six-year-old boy with a .32-caliber handgun.

    March 2000
    Branneburg, Germany One teacher killed by a 15-year-old student, who then shot himself. The shooter has been in a coma ever since.

    March 10, 2000
    Savannah, Ga. Two students killed by Darrell Ingram, 19, while leaving a dance sponsored by Beach High School.

  5. #50
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    > I was trying to show you that it obviously wasn't video games or movies or whatever that caused the increased violence rates, since they existed before columbine.

    And I was pointing out a typo you made. Sorry you're too busy trying to act superior to notice that.

    > I don't see how this furthers your argument at all

    Your smarmy little "protip" didn't either.

    > I already know that there was school violence before columbine, what I was trying to show you was that it occurred more often post columbine.

    Oh? So why did you say this

    > However, consider this: there where violent games, music and movies before columbine, but news reports regarding columbine only took place after.

    If you were actually saying that, then I'm sorry, but you've been less than clear during most of this discussion. Your earlier post implies that there was little to no media coverage for school shootings, which is obviously not true.

  6. #51
    Banned SniperSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    And I was pointing out a typo you made. Sorry you're too busy trying to act superior to notice that.
    What typo

    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    Your smarmy little "protip" didn't either.
    I was telling you to read the thread because someone made the point you made earlier and I responded to it, also in the magazine gamepro they have things called protips. I was parodying that

    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    Oh? So why did you say this

    > However, consider this: there where violent games, music and movies before columbine, but news reports regarding columbine only took place after.
    I don't even know what to say

    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    If you were actually saying that, then I'm sorry, but you've been less than clear during most of this discussion. Your earlier post implies that there was little to no media coverage for school shootings, which is obviously not true.
    1) No it didn't
    2) I think we can both agree that the media outburst surounding columbine far surpassed that of any of the other school shootings that occurred during the time period we are talking about.

  7. #52
    Dump Truck Internet valis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    357
    How about when Govtcheez responds he doesn't put a retaliation in his post and this (almost) useless argument will (likely) stop.

    Although I have no backing evidence and I understand that often observations are incorrect, at my school it seems the sports kids and kids with the pants you could fit clydesdales in are far more aggressive than the rest. Although fights rarely occur their general attitude is aggressive towards one another. I think inner pressure (to be cool around your clique (or however that's spelled)) has a much greater effect than exterior media.

  8. #53
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    March 2000
    Branneburg, Germany One teacher killed by a 15-year-old student, who then shot himself. The shooter has been in a coma ever since.
    As a fair comparison, I'd use this shooting in 2002 in Germany.

    Obviously, the shooter was playing Counter Strike in his sparetime. This must have been the obvious reason for his killing spree. Bad game. Bad, bad game. Good thing that his permit to own and carry (!) a semi-automatic shotgun (!) because he was in a gun club and his kick out of school that left him with nothing less than a spectacular career as a burger flippers assistant's helper due to a flaw in the german schooling system as a bright future kept him sane until that point. Who would have known what had happened if he'd had played that game without access to military firearms and with a future as an actual human being.
    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  9. #54
    Lead Moderator kermi3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Posts
    2,595
    Nv the point isn't that the games cause shootings. You're right, a person must decided to partake in an aggressive of violent act. The evidence indactes that they can be one factor that contributes to a person's descision to go on a shooting. Plenty of other factors (noted above - and can be expanded to include gun control if you wish) can contribute to aggressive and violent actions by people of all ages (note: aggressive and/or violent behavior is not limited to school shootings).

    I'm not going to weigh 400 lbs because I eat McDonald's once a week, but I would be less likely to get fat if I didn't eat there.

    Sure there are other things that might deserve more blame for me gaining 250 lbs: lack of exercise, my genes, too little free time to make my own meals etc. And those factors should probably be addressed for my health sake as well.

    The point is that wihle it can be completely healthy to watch video games (or eat at McDonald's), it can also contribute to more aggressive behavior. Therefore, while I certainly don't think violent video games should be banned (they're too much fun), they should be played in a responsible manner by people of an appropriate age to minimize the risk of both proactive and reactive aggressive outside of the game.
    Kermi3

    If you're new to the boards, welcome and reading this will help you get started.
    Information on code tags may be found here

    - Sandlot is the highest form of sport.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    Therefore, while I certainly don't think violent video games should be banned (they're too much fun), they should be played in a responsible manner by people of an appropriate age to minimize the risk of both proactive and reactive aggressive outside of the game.
    I guess that pretty much sums up my point of view as well.

    Also, I was satisfied with your previous post in response to my questions...if you could've answered everything completely, in the absolute sense, you wouldn't be a psychologist, rather a prophet.

    What's the work balance, in a psychology degree, between throwing around theories and ideas vs researching scientific studies, analyzing the work of others, etc.
    I'm not immature, I'm refined in the opposite direction.

  11. #56
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    I'm just saying that putting the weight on the video game when you have a) a weapon that no private citizen should ever need b) a fscked up life that is a motive for suicide and/or mass murder anyway and c) a videogame is defying all logic. But it's the media, it has to sell, not to be reasonable.

    Back in the 90s it were roleplaying games. "Roleplayers" were satanists and every year or so some roleplaying books were found in the room of a punk who decided to kill a random guy on a cemetery and obviously those books were works of the devil, that just made him do it. Funny how my roleplaying books always said to roll dice in the kitchen, not to butcher someone on the graveyard. Anyway, good stories, sold well. Made me feel like a creep telling someone I play D&D.

    Should I ever go onto a killing spree, I will erase my harddisk, install a copy of Windows, Office and Barbie's Dress Center v1.3. I don't think I'd want to miss that headline.

    Edit:
    should be used in a responsible manner by people of an appropriate age to minimize the risk
    That's an appropriate warning label for everything, from chocolate to H-Bombs. And yes, it even applies to video games. But that's hardly news. There's just enough dumb people to ignore those warning labels. For each product. I'm to lazy to google but I'm willing to bet that I will find a death by chocolate if I search hard enough.
    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  12. #57
    Dump Truck Internet valis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    357
    Therefore, while I certainly don't think violent video games should be banned (they're too much fun), they should be played in a responsible manner by people of an appropriate age to minimize the risk of both proactive and reactive aggressive outside of the game.
    I'm not sure what else can be done, games already have the warning labels and age suggestion things, in fact, last year I bought Diablo 2 and was carded. Are you just suggesting such processes are more strictly enforced?

  13. #58
    Lead Moderator kermi3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Posts
    2,595
    Perhaps that would be an option. Further research should be done. Perhaps developers should be encouraged to develop more less violent games (I know plenty of people here in the psyc department who do not game would agree with that). Perhaps we should look at what's appropriate for a 10 year old vs a 14 year old vs a 18 yr old.

    More research should be done on which elements of a violent game most effect people? What about games that have both violent and non-violent solutions (RPGs?)? Do 1st or 3rd person games encourage more aggressive behavior? Does the type of violence in the game (reactive, active, weapon used, distance of user from the violent character i.e. a FPS vs a RTS game). I could see reasons why all of these factors might change the amount of aggressive behavior that games encourage or discourage and they should be investigated.

    Moreover, what about the user? Does playing a certain amount influence you more per hour than if you play less? Is there a certain time limit parents should set? Are depressed users more or less effected than others?

    All of this knowledge would be helpful for developers and parents...and at the same time we might just learn how to make games that promote pro-social behaviors...
    Kermi3

    If you're new to the boards, welcome and reading this will help you get started.
    Information on code tags may be found here

    - Sandlot is the highest form of sport.

  14. #59
    Crazy Fool Perspective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,640
    >Are you just suggesting such processes are more strictly enforced?

    Its now illegal to sell violent games to minors in some places.
    http://news.com.com/2061-10797_3-606...5106&subj=news

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. What are the best video games youve played??
    By jessie23 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 10:59 AM
  2. Video Games Industry. 5 years left.
    By Cheeze-It in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-10-2002, 09:52 PM
  3. video games
    By Unregistered in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2002, 04:40 PM
  4. music in video games
    By C Seņor in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-05-2002, 07:18 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21