Help for School Article

This is a discussion on Help for School Article within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I'll be writing for an article for our school newspaper it will be entitled "Useless Programming Languages." But contrary to ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5

    Help for School Article

    I'll be writing for an article for our school newspaper it will be entitled "Useless Programming Languages." But contrary to my title (just to catch their attention :P), my article will be about informing how useful these "useless" programs are. I commonly hear talk in our school about saying c++ is just a beginners language and they'd rather use Java or other newer (they think that newer languages are better). I already read some articles about the disadvantages and advantages of some languages but don't know the prominent "powerful" and very versatile/practical ones. Can you please help me on this? I'd like to prove that c++ shouldn't be getting that image in our school, and other languages too which have been said to be unpractical. I think there is an issue on Visual Basic and Java (wikipedia :P).

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    446
    The crows maintain that a single crow could destroy the heavens. Doubtless this is so. But it proves nothing against the heavens, for the heavens signify simply: the impossibility of crows.

  3. #3
    Banned nickname_changed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    986
    Visual Basic would be a great one to do it on. Theres a large majority of programmers that bash it because it's so "basic", but in real life it's probably one of the most used languages of all time. It might be dumb with dumb syntax, but for the majority of business applications (which is the majority of programs) it's perfect - it's very fast to use, and you can do pretty much all the common things any application needs to do.

  4. #4
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezerhorden
    I commonly hear talk in our school about saying c++ is just a beginners language and they'd rather use Java
    The absurdity of this statement baffles me.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    Ei, thanks for the replies, now I have a problem on keeping my article short >_< I'm also thinking of including that many popular programs/OS's/games are written in c++, correct me if I'm wrong but Windows and Ragnarok online?

    (kinda off-topic, kinda amused by the first question in Bjarne's FAQ page)

    Quote Originally Posted by CornedBee
    The absurdity of this statement baffles me.
    Maybe it has to do with how our school teaches programming. They start with c and c++ then VB then Java. I think they equate that order with, something... >_>
    Last edited by Ezerhorden; 01-16-2006 at 04:55 PM.

  6. #6
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezerhorden
    I'm also thinking of including that many popular programs/OS's/games are written in c++, correct me if I'm wrong but Windows and Ragnarok online?
    Large parts of Windows are written in C++, most of the rest in C. Don't know what Ragnarok online is, but I'd say there's an 80% chance of it being written in C++, and nearly 20% chance of being C. Definitely not Java.
    Blizzard's games are all written in C++: StarCraft, Diablo, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, StarCraft: Ghost.
    The software powering Google and eBay, and I believe Amazon too, is written mostly in C++.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  7. #7
    Climber spoon_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by stovellp
    Visual Basic would be a great one to do it on. Theres a large majority of programmers that bash it because it's so "basic", but in real life it's probably one of the most used languages of all time. It might be dumb with dumb syntax, but for the majority of business applications (which is the majority of programs) it's perfect - it's very fast to use, and you can do pretty much all the common things any application needs to do.
    Echo, however, I find that the majority of programmers who dislike Visual Basic dislike it because it has the word basic it it's name. Don't you know they're way to good to learn anything that has basic in it?



    I wouldn't go as far as to call VB.Net "basic" as its got all of the complexities & idiosyncracies of C#, but people will consider C# with an open mind because it has C in its name.

    I tend to shy away from people that dislike VB for inappropriate reasons.

    Same deal with Java, people hate it because it's "slow," yet don't understand that it's run on a virtual machine, yielding portability not seen in C/C++.

    Language haters suck.
    Last edited by spoon_; 01-16-2006 at 05:08 PM.
    {RTFM, KISS}

  8. #8
    Cached User mako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Germany.Stuttgart
    Posts
    69
    http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/bf/

    if yuo want pointless programming languages, check out "brain f uck" ^^

  9. #9
    Banned nickname_changed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon_
    Echo, however, I find that the majority of programmers who dislike Visual Basic dislike it because it has the word basic it it's name. Don't you know they're way to good to learn anything that has basic in it?



    I wouldn't go as far as to call VB.Net "basic" as its got all of the complexities & idiosyncracies of C#, but people will consider C# with an open mind because it has C in its name.

    I tend to shy away from people that dislike VB for inappropriate reasons.

    Same deal with Java, people hate it because it's "slow," yet don't understand that it's run on a virtual machine, yielding portability not seen in C/C++.

    Language haters suck.
    That's exactly true, and it's the "basic" that's given people the perception it must be a toy language and no real developer would use it.

    This is a great place to argue that the best developers use whatever tool lets them get the job done right, not whichever tool makes their ego bigger.

    If you do want a really useful programming language though, look at this one:

    http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php

  10. #10
    Climber spoon_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by stovellp
    That's exactly true, and it's the "basic" that's given people the perception it must be a toy language and no real developer would use it.

    This is a great place to argue that the best developers use whatever tool lets them get the job done right, not whichever tool makes their ego bigger.

    If you do want a really useful programming language though, look at this one:

    http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php
    Agree.

    Ahh yes, whitespace, been there done that.
    {RTFM, KISS}

  11. #11
    Banned nickname_changed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    986
    C++ could be said to be a beginners language in the best sense of the word - it was the language I started with.

    C++ is a great language to begin with because it teaches you the hard basics. It takes years to be able to do anything decent with it, but once you understand it, you can pick up any other language in less than a few days. If you can understand C++, theres not many procedural or OOP languages you won't understand. So it's certainly a language I'd reccommend to beginners.

    That said, you're unlikely to use it in real life these days (of course it has its place, but not in the majority of applications), but I'm still thankful I started with C++ than a language like Basic.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    446
    A list of applications that have been mostly written in c/c++:

    http://public.research.att.com/~bs/applications.html
    The crows maintain that a single crow could destroy the heavens. Doubtless this is so. But it proves nothing against the heavens, for the heavens signify simply: the impossibility of crows.

  13. #13
    Distributed Programming beyonddc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    31
    I just want to add my 2 cents in here.

    I think deciding to pick which language you want to use is depend on your requirements.

    If speed is not an issue, and portability is a must, than Java would be the best choice.

    If speed is an issue, and portability is also a must, than C++ would be a better choice.
    To achieve portablility in C++, I use ACE (adaptive communication environment).

    And of course there're many other scenerios. Maybe you need to use CORBA, ICE or COM to serve as a bridge to provide language transparency.

    Also, I don't think C++ is a learning language. The language that was designed for learning purpose was Pascal. C++ is now used as a learning language is probably because that it is widely use, and also to learn C++, you must learn how to handle memory managements, pointers and references, but if you learn Java first, you'll skip all these important things.

    It's always easy to switch from C++ to Java, but for a Java developer to switch to C++, it will be a pain.

    oh, one more thing, if you think that you don't have to worry about memory management in Java, then you're wrong, because it's possible to get memory leak in Java. If any of you're interested to know why you can create a memory leak in Java, I can provide more details, or you can read the "Effective Java" book written by Joshua Bloch.
    -dc

  14. #14
    60% Braindead
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    379
    That said, you're unlikely to use it in real life these days (of course it has its place, but not in the majority of applications), but I'm still thankful I started with C++ than a language like Basic.
    C++ is the closest language besides... C, Machine Code, and Assembler (Why has nobody mentioned this O_o). Plenty of people use C++ for real applications. (They're barely any games that dont use C++) Lots of security software's use C++. Java is more of a porting language, its like C or C++, its not as close to the computer, and its noticably slower. BASIC and other languages have their points, its really all opinion.

    Mmm, you cant really compare some languages to others, because they're all made with different ideas in mind. C++ is a headache when it comes to web applications, Java makes web applets a snap. But java cant access quite as much information. Java gives you less control over things like windows, ect. Its all built with different ideas.

    Though, I enjoy C++ because its older and has more support, and its used for almost all games. I would have gone with java, but I dont see myself actualy using it at any point...

    Code:
    Error W8057 C:\\Life.cpp: Invalid number of arguments in function run(Brain *)

  15. #15
    chococoder
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    515
    there are no useless programming languages apart from those written for student assignments in colleges and sometimes universities in compiler creation classes (but those hardly count as they were never intended for realworld use).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Article in GDM about DarkBasic PRO
    By jasonkidd05 in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 03:47 AM
  2. Article in GDM about DarkBasic PRO
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 06:27 PM
  3. Recent Slashdot article.
    By spoon_ in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2003, 03:41 AM
  4. Writing an article
    By jverkoey in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 09:38 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21