View Poll Results: Do you believe in a God?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 51.85%
  • No

    10 37.04%
  • Agnostic

    3 11.11%

Do you believe in God?

This is a discussion on Do you believe in God? within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by Govtcheez > Almost all of us believe that 2 + 2 = 4 That's because it's a ...

  1. #46
    Registered User jlou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    > Almost all of us believe that 2 + 2 = 4

    That's because it's a manmade construct and we've created the definitions for it. It works because that's the way it was made.
    Yes, but that isn't really the point. Maybe a better example is almost all of us believe that we exist. Technically, it's just a belief, but still it is so common of a belief that we assume it to be true when having these discussions.

  2. #47
    Registered User jlou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious
    2 + 2 could equal 11 if you were working off of a base 3 number system.

    I was rased in a religious family. But I like to think things out logically. And the most logical conclusion is that there must be a God. Existance has no other explanation.
    How can you say that there is no other explanation when you cannot even conceive of the billions of potential explanations that exist.

    Don't you mean that Existance has no other explanation that makes sense to you?

  3. #48
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious
    And the most logical conclusion is that there must be a God. Existance has no other explanation.
    The most logical explanation for things we can't explain is that there's an all-powerful being controlling everything? I'd like to see how you arrived at that one.

    > Yes, but that isn't really the point.

    I know, that was just me being a jerk.

  4. #49
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    ok given to "laws": conservation of matter and conservation of energy. Both basically state that matter/energy is neither created nor destroyed (though it may changed between the two). So where did all the matter and energy in the universe come from?

  5. #50
    Toaster Zach L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    2,686
    The line that god exists because there is no other way that the universe could have been created has a rather large flaw in it. I'll take this from the beginning. There is a lot of science dealing with the early stages of the universe. If you ask, "what set it all in motion?" however, you get the inescapable, "I don't know." So, you postulate that god must exist (some religions throw in a few extra gods for good measure), and then in response to the question, you get, "it was set in motion by god (or the gods or [insert your omnipotent-being-of-choice-here]." So far, all is good, but then the question arises, "where did god come from?" At this point, most answers come out to, "god is above human reason and understanding." So, after all the work to provide an answer, all we get is, "I don't know." The difference being that we now have to factor in how an omnipotent being (indisputably, I think, a highly ordered system) instead of an expanding ball of matter that seems to have developed into a few strains of order over a largely disordered space.
    The word rap as it applies to music is the result of a peculiar phonological rule which has stripped the word of its initial voiceless velar stop.

  6. #51
    Just one more wrong move. -KEN-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    3,230
    If there is a god then why did he send the undead to rampage across Flashdaddee?

    Anywho, voted No God. Believing that an all-knowing, all-powerful being controls the cosmos flies in the face of all conventional logic. Who says existance needs to have a reason anyhow?

  7. #52
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    nice politican answer Zach

  8. #53
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    ok given to "laws": conservation of matter and conservation of energy. Both basically state that matter/energy is neither created nor destroyed (though it may changed between the two). So where did all the matter and energy in the universe come from?
    I don't know. That's the nice thing about science, is that you can say "I don't know", and when evidence comes up later, you can say "I think I've got a better idea now".

    Where did God come from?

  9. #54
    Toaster Zach L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    2,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    nice politican answer Zach
    Just meant to be a breakdown of the logic. Govtcheez's post above nicely summarizes it, too.
    The word rap as it applies to music is the result of a peculiar phonological rule which has stripped the word of its initial voiceless velar stop.

  10. #55
    Just one more wrong move. -KEN-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    3,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez
    Where did God come from?
    I was just about to post that and then my connection crapped out

    There very obviously isn't a god, because if there is one he's a jerk.

  11. #56
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Thats the nice thing about religion. I can say I don't know, its faith.

  12. #57
    Just one more wrong move. -KEN-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    3,230
    Arooga, arooga! Thantos has engaged his intellect-deflecting shield of faith! ALL HANDS BATTLE STATIONS!

  13. #58
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Well unless you can give me a better reason when logic starts to break down.... and of course "better" is subjective.

    <sarcasim>And the reason zombies are running amok of FD is because God hates gays</sarcasim>

  14. #59
    Just one more wrong move. -KEN-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    3,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    Well unless you can give me a better reason when logic starts to break down.... and of course "better" is subjective.

    <sarcasim>And the reason zombies are running amok of FD is because God hates gays</sarcasim>

    Flying pink elephants. You can't see them, but they're there. They're from some other dimension but don't even ask them where that dimension came from because they'll go onnnn and onnnn about it.

  15. #60
    Loom Weaver the dead tree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    140
    Originally Posted by Vicious
    2 + 2 could equal 11 if you were working off of a base 3 number system.

    I was rased in a religious family. But I like to think things out logically. And the most logical conclusion is that there must be a God. Existance has no other explanation.





    Read what I said for example of other explanations.

    You know when you are playing RPG and the evil enemy says "Now that I changed my form, I can see things so much clearer!".
    Well thatīs because our ideas mostly come from the way we can experience the world. Having an original thought that transcends your feelings it not easy.

    Like it is easy to believe that God put us in this world so we follow his commandments, and those worhty shall go to heaven, when we feel that life is resumed to our routine in the city.
    But then you go and picture all the people that were born with strong disabilities, or that live in a different society and in different ways, believing in god like many do has no sense at all.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. what race is god?
    By Leeman_s in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 04:38 PM
  2. God II
    By Leeman_s in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 12:42 AM
  3. GOD and religion
    By Unregistered in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-14-2001, 05:13 PM
  4. Foundations
    By mithrandir in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-05-2001, 02:18 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21