Addictions

This is a discussion on Addictions within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; >I just wish people would not get so worked up over little things like nudity. I would sooooo write a ...

  1. #31
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    >I just wish people would not get so worked up over little things like nudity.

    I would sooooo write a 3 page rebuke about that one statement but I really don't want to start a flamewar, so I wont.

    Consider yourself lucky.
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  2. #32
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    Are you from another planet or something? Or maybe you're just like 6 years old??? How can one person be so inept?
    This seems to be a pretty US-centric view. Did it occur to you that this board is made up of people from different cultures, societies and countries ? While pg13 may be well known in the US, guess what, no one knows or even cares what pg13 means around here (Germany). Obviously many countries have their own rating systems and don't care for the almighty US system. I hope we don't get invaded because we use our own system *duck*


    Now, for nudity vs violence, Germany for example has tv ads around noon that would make your rating group get a collective heart attack. You can see partial or full but slightly veiled nudity in spots for shower gel, beach resorts and even margarine ( which I don't consider to be used naked, but hey, I male, I see breast, I go buy margarine... *grunt* ).
    On the other hand, movies that are shown before 22:00 are almost always censored. Pieces are missing that are too gory. You won't see Private Ryan at prime time uncut and they even managed to find something to cut in Bad Boys. I don't consider Bad Boys that violent, but to each country it's own stupid censorship system
    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  3. #33
    Registered User whackaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    332
    the french censors are great, they were really lax untill last year (but the maximum you can get is under 16 for films, and i'm 17 so i don't care anymore ).

    france was quite bewildered, and quite amused about the "nipplegate" scnadal with our friends Janet and Justin, some people should have a massive pole removing from ass session methinks you get that type of ads for loads of things in france. as nvoigt said, bewbs on adverts sells. hail b00bs.
    I loathe pointers

  4. #34
    01000011 00100000 0010000
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    38
    Okay, I noticed I created quite a discussion once I had created this thread, but its cause is coming to an end. Last Friday night after being high that whole week (every day Monday - Friday) on Corrociden Cough & Cold (spelled as best as I could) or CCC's (pronounced tripple C's) I had an overdose and my mom picked me up. She noticed I was completely stoned and rushed me to the hospital. They pumped me with fluids because the drugs in it cause me to be dehydrated. My heart rate was double normal (normal is 60-80), specifically my heart rate was jumping around 130-140. I could have died that night if my mom didn't take me to the hospital. I got a second chance at life. I am greatful for it. I have sworn to myself, on my second chance at life, and on my mom who loves me more than life and cried the whole night i was in the ER room (she had to go through 9 years of a drug addict as a husband, until devorce, and I feel like I am sillyI am sillyI am sillyI am silly trying to put her through that again), that I will never touch a drug for the rest of my life. I hope I am strong enough because I can tell I have a mental addiction. I had a mental addiction to the high. I get bored and I start wanting to get high. The best remedy is to keep occupied (like you guys were saying). I am working on my porn addiction, which is harder because it has been going on longer, specifically YEARS. I was introduced to porn at age 13 and I am now 17. So it will be tough. Wish me luck, and as a word of advice to anyone who starts out with an 'innocent drug', you think it is, but you want that thing more and more, and then that thing isn't enough, and so you go harder, but if you stop now, while it's not so hard to, you won't end up like me, and almost die, and possibly die and not get lucky like me. <3 you all, and I am happy to be able to be posting to you today!

  5. #35
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,913
    Everyone has a 99.9% chance of seeing the opposite sex in the nude during their life anyway.
    Remember that nerds frequent this board. Were you referring to off-screen?

    edit: Good on ya CodeNinja

  6. #36
    Registered User axon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    Posts
    2,572
    well, if your story isn't complete BS (I'm sKeptical, so kill me) then I hope that you did learn your lesson. Everytime you get ........ed off at your mom think about that moment in your life; and if you ever put her through something similar again then you are a worthless human being.

    some entropy with that sink? entropysink.com

    there are two cardinal sins from which all others spring: Impatience and Laziness. - franz kafka

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeNinja
    Isn't it interesting how the human body jumps from one adiction to another.

    When I quit wanking I started coding/doing drugs to get my mind off of it.

    Also, when I made myself quit playing video games (they waste time) I started coding more/doing more drugs.

    It's wierd, I know that a lot of drug addicts get addicted to sugar in rehab because they jump from one addiction to another. I don't think it's the addiction that is the key to it, but the lack of self control. I think everyone has their own amount, and we pick up a certain number of addictions depending on that amount.
    It's very normal that people do this.
    -Felix
    Rots Soft
    If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
    Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

  8. #38
    'AlHamdulillah
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    790
    You do got to amit that the US is a little easier on violence than nudity though. As far as I know, frontal nudity other than breasts is not allowed in R movies, at least I've never seen it in R movies before. I'd say full frontal nudity would be the equivilent to dismemberment, which is allowed in R movies.
    nvoigt said:On the other hand, movies that are shown before 22:00 are almost always censored. Pieces are missing that are too gory. You won't see Private Ryan at prime time uncut and they even managed to find something to cut in Bad Boys. I don't consider Bad Boys that violent, but to each country it's own stupid censorship system
    you wont see full violence on network TV(and most of cable for that matter) in the US period. For example, most films during the daytime and primetime might show a gun being fired and a person being struck; however, if the bullet caused something bad(like sever blood/brain loss) the bad will be edited out. So a comparison of what is on french/european TV versus American TV would show that Euros have alot more of "the bad stuff" : violence, nudity, and language than Americans do.
    there used to be something here, but not anymore

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by EvBladeRunnervE
    you wont see full violence on network TV(and most of cable for that matter) in the US period. For example, most films during the daytime and primetime might show a gun being fired and a person being struck; however, if the bullet caused something bad(like sever blood/brain loss) the bad will be edited out. So a comparison of what is on french/european TV versus American TV would show that Euros have alot more of "the bad stuff" : violence, nudity, and language than Americans do.
    But most of those 'bad' films come from the US.
    -Felix
    Rots Soft
    If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
    Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

  10. #40
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    Remember that nerds frequent this board.
    Everyone has a 99.9% chance of seeing the opposite sex in the nude during their life anyway.
    For free ? Dude, sweet ! Can you send me a link ?

    We are nerd of borg. We'll pwn u !

    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  11. #41
    napKINfolk.com napkin111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    But most of those 'bad' films come from the US.
    Watch "Irreversible", it is not a US movie. Its also not a movie I would reccommend as it has the most graphic rape scene in any movie I've seen. Very unenjoyable. Shocking even.

    DavidP: When you are preaching, its best to avoid a couple of things, doing so will help you not appear to be a hypocritical naive delusionist. Try not to condemn things you have no experience in - by this of course I mean pornography, drugs, and other peoples' lives and experiences. You have not lived through what they have lived through, as such, anything you say considering their actions or their motives is utterly asinine.

    Also, try to be more tolerant and less self-rightous. Please.

    To the origional poster: I know what you mean. I call it mania - obsessing from one thing to another sometimes sporadically. I am completely like that, although I have learned that a few things can stay despite the current focus item (masturbation/pornography, gaming, when appropriate drugs, and unfortunately work).
    "The best way to get answers is to just keep working the problem, recognizing when you are stalled, and directing the search pattern.....Donít just wait for The Right Thing to strike you Ė try everything you think might even be in the right direction, so you can collect clues about the nature of the problem."
    -John Carmack

  12. #42
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,913
    napkin - 1 bad movie that isn't from America really proves nothing.

    I would like to say however - that yes. Most of those movies are American. But America's based on freedom. You want the bad stuff? It's here. People may not agree with it but as long as you keep it to yourself, then legally, you can do that. It's not shoved in your face on billboards like it is in Europe and most associated countries. And I don't care if the billboards were assembled in the U.S.

  13. #43
    ___
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by EvBladeRunnervE
    you are quite right about heroin, .10 USD of it is enough to give you a physical addiction to it. On the mental addiction side, it is like nail biting, you get into the habit of doing something, then you have to actually think about NOT doing it to not do it.

    No that is not true. Heroin is just a strong opiant. It is no more addictive than abused prescribtion painkillers. I'm not saying it isn't addictive, but there is a lot of misinformation on addiction with drugs. There is no abused drug (cocaine, heroin) that causes addiction with one use. One use doesn't mean you will do a second. Addiction takes time. It starts off as a once a week, then it moves to twice a week. It's not you do it once, and then your on the streets buying crack every night. It just doesn't work like that.

    Oh and as far as a porn addiction, I personally see no harm in that. Looking at naked women all day sounds rather fun to me.
    "When I die I want to pass peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car."

  14. #44
    01000011 00100000 0010000
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by axon
    and if you ever put her through something similar again then you are a worthless human being
    harsh, but true

    P.S. I didn't make anything up. I'm not a lame attention (/\)l-l0r3.

  15. #45
    In The Light
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    598
    Howdy,
    All that idealistic crap went out the window when I was 17 yeas old - 27 years ago. I went into the US Army and learned that governments lie, and people in general don't seem to care much about each other.

    M.R.
    I don't like you very much. Please post a lot less.
    Cheez
    *and then*
    No, I know you were joking. My point still stands.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Are you addicted?
    By VirtualAce in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 05:39 AM
  2. addictions...
    By ober in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-04-2001, 08:08 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21