July is American Beer Month!

This is a discussion on July is American Beer Month! within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I don't know how much response this'll get on a board where most people are either a) not American and ...

  1. #1
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825

    July is American Beer Month!

    I don't know how much response this'll get on a board where most people are either a) not American and b) not old enough to drink, but I'm posting this everywhere else, so you guys get it, too.

    http://www.americanbeermonth.com/

    That's right, friends. July is the month where we come out and celebrate good ol' American made brews. I realize some of you can only think Miller, Coors, and Budweiser when you think of American beers, but that couldn't be further from the truth. There are craft breweries all over the country making beer that rivals brew from anywhere in the world, and they're doing it using innovative techniques that improve the process. Some foreign brews (Germany, I'm looking at you and your Reinheitsgebot) have restrictive rules imposed on them that limit the way they can be made and what ingredients they can contain. Here in the Land of the Free, our brewers can add whatever they see fit, giving a truly outstanding selection of every type of beer (except maybe trappists, but we can't really get that without annexing Belgium).

    If you're having a hard time deciding where to go to pick up some new beer, head on over to BeerAdvocate and use their tools to find whatever you want.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    367
    Alcohol is a waste of money, brain cells, and it's sad that people have to rely on a substance to make them have fun.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,913
    High five Govt!

  4. #4
    Registered User axon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by bludstayne
    Alcohol is a waste of money, brain cells, and it's sad that people have to rely on a substance to make them have fun.
    this alone proves that you are not 21 yet....

    some entropy with that sink? entropysink.com

    there are two cardinal sins from which all others spring: Impatience and Laziness. - franz kafka

  5. #5
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by bludstayne
    Alcohol is a waste of money, brain cells, and it's sad that people have to rely on a substance to make them have fun.
    I don't drink alcohol to kill brain cells or because I rely on it. I drink it because I enjoy the taste.

    Get out before I ban your trolling ass.
    High five Govt!
    High five! (even though I know you're humoring me)

  6. #6
    Registered User axon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    Posts
    2,572
    >>High five! (even though I know you're humoring me)<<
    ROFL....good ol' mackrory

    some entropy with that sink? entropysink.com

    there are two cardinal sins from which all others spring: Impatience and Laziness. - franz kafka

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    367
    You're going to ban my "trolling ass" for expressing my opinion? Why don't you do something productive with your time instead?

    Quote Originally Posted by axon
    this alone proves that you are not 21 yet....
    This alone proves that I don't need alcohol, not that I'm not 21 yet. Do you really think I'd heed laws like that? Hell, if I wanted to I could get drunk right now and not get caught. I've done so many illegal things, including drinking and smoking marijuana and do I care? No!

    PS: I am not bragging that I have done weed or drunk alcohol, I'm just stating that I have.

  8. #8
    Registered User axon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    Posts
    2,572
    dude, your latter post contradicts your former.

    Why do you think people drink "to have fun", but not because they enjoy it? Why are you being so damn judgemental right away? is it because its the internet? I bet you would be singing a different tune if talking to me in person. How old are you anyway - judging by your response I would say ~15

    some entropy with that sink? entropysink.com

    there are two cardinal sins from which all others spring: Impatience and Laziness. - franz kafka

  9. #9
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by bludstayne
    You're going to ban my "trolling ass" for expressing my opinion? Why don't you do something productive with your time instead?
    Coming into a thread that's obviously about beer and appreciating beer and saying "Alcohol kills brain cells and drinking anything makes you a hopeless alcoholic" is trolling. I don't know what the hell you think it is, but in this case, it doesn't matter.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    129
    Last I knew you could drink beer legally in Germany at the age of 16, and 'hard stuff' at the age of 18.

    I stand by my conservative stance that beer is for pansies

    Note the 'ies', this means that there are, in fact, multiple people of the genus pansy! (panzy?)

    Why do you think people drink "to have fun", but not because they enjoy it? Why are you being so damn judgemental right away? is it because its the internet? I bet you would be singing a different tune if talking to me in person. How old are you anyway - judging by your response I would say ~15
    Hippiespeak...next you are going to want to get in touch with your feelings, and have a heart to heart conversation.

  11. #11
    carry on JaWiB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,972
    >>Alcohol is a waste of money, brain cells, and it's sad that people have to rely on a substance to make them have fun.

    Not necessarily. Beer, maybe, but I know that red wine seems to have benefits when you drink it in moderation. And I don't see anything wrong with drinking any kind of alcohol in moderation...
    "Think not but that I know these things; or think
    I know them not: not therefore am I short
    Of knowing what I ought."
    -John Milton, Paradise Regained (1671)

    "Work hard and it might happen."
    -XSquared

  12. #12
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by JaWiB
    >>Alcohol is a waste of money, brain cells, and it's sad that people have to rely on a substance to make them have fun.

    Not necessarily. Beer, maybe, but I know that red wine seems to have benefits when you drink it in moderation. And I don't see anything wrong with drinking any kind of alcohol in moderation...
    I've heard similar things about beer.

  13. #13
    Crazy Fool Perspective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by vNvNation
    Note the 'ies', this means that there are, in fact, multiple people of the genus pansy! (panzy?)
    i belive the term would be "panzi"


    while your american %5 alcohol limited beer will always be inferior to that of Canadian beer, i salute your tribute to this wonderful beverage.

  14. #14
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Perspective
    while your american %5 alcohol limited beer will always be inferior to that of Canadian beer, i salute your tribute to this wonderful beverage.
    Thanks for the tribute, but you're wrong about the 5% limit. I don't know where you would have gotten it, but it's totally wrong. Boston Brewing Company (they brew Sam Adams) has several brews that are over 20%, and most craft brews are 5-10%. Doppel or Triple Bocks are even more than that.

    PS Labatt was the first beer I started drinking a lot of, so I'd like to show appreciation to your Canadian beers, too. Also, La Fin Du Monde from Quebec is a great beer.

  15. #15
    Administrator webmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    963
    Something interesting that I recently discovered: alcoholic beverages are a known carcinogen [eph.niehs.nih.gov; .pdf].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. some help on structures!!
    By dbz4life in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 09:38 AM
  2. error with code
    By duffy in forum C Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 09:45 PM
  3. cant get code to work
    By duffy in forum C Programming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-20-2002, 05:23 AM
  4. HELP with starting out.
    By sworc66 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2002, 10:09 AM
  5. Independent-Robert Fisk-Osama
    By a muslim in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2001, 08:41 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21