Language of choice after C++

This is a discussion on Language of choice after C++ within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; >performence issues aren't what they once were. Sorry, but that's incorrect. Even though computers are getting faster, the amount of ...

  1. #16
    Code Goddess Prelude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,796
    >performence issues aren't what they once were.
    Sorry, but that's incorrect. Even though computers are getting faster, the amount of data that they have to work with grows by a considerably larger amount. Performance issues are arguably more important now than they once were.
    My best code is written with the delete key.

  2. #17
    Registered User caroundw5h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    751
    I stand by what i said about extending your python program with C/C++. and until we reach tachyon light speeds get a better algorithm

  3. #18
    mov.w #$1337,D0 Jeremy G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by gandalf_bar
    LIke what? Fortran? Perl? Lisp?
    Well, I think it is good to choose popular language than less-popular language.

    This mademe kekle because Perl is derived from c.


    Prolog, or Lisp are good ones to learn.

    But, I would pick assembly to learn and master. Theres always use for assembly programmers (if only for driver production :P)
    c++->visualc++->directx->opengl->c++;
    (it should be realized my posts are all in a light hearted manner. And should not be taken offense to.)

  4. #19
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    Quote Originally Posted by caroundw5h
    With processors today. performence issues aren't what they once were.
    It is saying those kind of things that make you a bad programmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by caroundw5h
    'PYTHON OWNS
    ' PYTHON IS THE FUTURE!!!!
    Hardly at all. C++ is the future of intense perfomance applications and games. Java is the future of multiplatform applications and embedded applications. C#....who knows where that will go....Python? It might be used, but it aint going to ever be the flagship of anything. Sorry, bud.

    Quote Originally Posted by caroundw5h
    by the way the majority of languages are an abstraction on other languages. Thats what makes them better. C a better Asm if you will, C++ a better C, Java a better C++. Python a better
    It is true that languages are made to abstract to a certain point such that it is convenient for the programmer to develop an application that is meant to be developed by that language. It is also true in many cases that abstraction can be a very good tool. However, we cannot go crazy about abstraction. Anything used too much can turn out to be a very bad thing. Such is the case with BASIC. BASIC is a very simple programming language to learn, mainly because it abstracts so much. However, you dont see it being used in any high end, top of the market applications out there, do you? The most BASIC ever gets used is in the case of Visual Basic, in which a company will hire a few programmers to develop some private databasing software for them, and that is about all.

    Therefore, like you do in your little saying above, do NOT equate "abstraction" with the word "better." C is not necessarily a better Asm, C++ not necessarily a better C, Java not necessarily a better C++. And Python no better than ANY of the previously mentioned languages.

    C is meant for low down systems development. That's what it was created for. It is meant for development of operating systems. It can also be used to make applications. C++ has many of the same purposes as C, only it is used less in operating systems and more in applications and games. Java is used in cross-platform tools and embedded applications, such as cell phone software and cell phone games. Python...who knows?

    Like the saying goes, "One who tries to be the jack of all trades masters none."

    By the way caroundw5h, how old are you?
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  5. #20
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Do a search and you'll find out.

  6. #21
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681

  7. #22
    S Sang-drax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    2,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude
    >performence issues aren't what they once were.
    Sorry, but that's incorrect. Even though computers are getting faster, the amount of data that they have to work with grows by a considerably larger amount. Performance issues are arguably more important now than they once were.
    Most of the time, there's absolutley no need to use a lower-level language like C to complete a task, and this is getting more and more true. In the old days, everything was written using assembler.

    Could someone compare Python and Java? Is Python object-oriented?
    Last edited by Sang-drax : Tomorrow at 02:21 AM. Reason: Time travelling

  8. #23
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    with what keywords?
    "Prelude hates C++" "C++ sucks" what?
    Thats for you to figure out. How about trying and then asking.

  9. #24
    Toaster Zach L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    2,686
    Lisp and Scheme are simply very fun to program in... Well, as long as your text editor can match parentheses for you.

    They certainly won't take over the programming world, but they are quite fun.

  10. #25
    S Sang-drax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    2,072
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidP
    It is saying those kind of things that make you a bad programmer.
    That doen't make him a bad programmer at all. Many good programmers say the same thing (albeit a little bit more nuanced)
    Here's one example. (Note that I don't know any Python whatsoever)
    Last edited by Sang-drax : Tomorrow at 02:21 AM. Reason: Time travelling

  11. #26
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    Oh but performace issues ARE what they once were. They have not diminished in any way whatsoever.

    True, we may not have to write in assembly code anymore to get the job done, but I guarantee you that if you try and get a job and you bring in some inefficient crappy code to show your future boss, you aint gonna be hired. And if you are coding your current projects with inefficient crappy code, they aint gonna act well or look pretty. <sarcasm>Go ahead....use a glorified bubble sort if you want...use a stooge sort even...Or...develop in an overly abstract language for a program that needs power and speed...we dont need to worry about performance anymore with the fast processor speeds we have nowadays....</sarcasm>
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    648
    > The most BASIC ever gets used is in the case of Visual Basic, in which a company will hire a few programmers to develop some private databasing software for them, and that is about all.

    You'd be suprised how many companies use VB6 for... for everything. Now its shifting towards using .NET, mainly VB.NET although some old VB6 programmmers are migrating to C#. I believe Java is not used widely outside of universities. C# is the way to go and it will prove even more evident with Longhorn.

  13. #28
    S Sang-drax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    2,072
    Oh but performace issues ARE what they once were. They have not diminished in any way whatsoever.
    The algorithm of choice is something entirely different.
    I'm talking about using malloc/free versus Java garbage collection, to name one example.

    The Boss pays me a lot of money, and I'm sure he wants me to produce as much as possible and not waste my time with memory management.

    Note that I do almost all my programming in C++, but I'm getting quite good at Java because I feel that my productivity is higher in Java than in C++.
    Last edited by Sang-drax : Tomorrow at 02:21 AM. Reason: Time travelling

  14. #29
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    >I believe Java is not used widely outside of universities.

    Really? I truly wish that was so because I am not a big Java fan, but I believe you are wrong. Just open up your newspaper and go to the jobs section. Or get on to monster.com. You will notice otherwise.

    >C# is the way to go and it will prove even more evident with Longhorn.

    C# is a beautiful language and I would love to develop in it, and there are certainly several jobs in C# out there right now. But as long as Microsoft isnt porting it to every platform known to man just like what has been done with Java, C# will only be used with Windows (and now with Linux since a 3rd party group ported it to Linux). It isnt fully multiplatform like Java is, and therefore there will still be a very large market out there for Java programmers. I would love to see C# become much bigger, because I like C# a lot, and I think it eventually will. But that wont be for awhile yet because Microsoft is only focusing on C# for Windows and nothing else.
    Last edited by DavidP; 06-10-2004 at 03:05 PM.
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  15. #30
    S Sang-drax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    2,072
    How come you dislike Java so much, but love C# so much? They are as I understand quite similar.
    C# has gotten much from Java.
    Last edited by Sang-drax : Tomorrow at 02:21 AM. Reason: Time travelling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Which Language? need help ASAP
    By jcw122 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 03:16 PM
  2. Strange loop
    By D@rk_force in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 01:40 PM
  3. assembly language...the best tool for game programming?
    By silk.odyssey in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 01:11 PM
  4. Enough language discussions.
    By VirtualAce in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 09:59 AM
  5. Menu Help
    By CJ7Mudrover in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 08:59 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21