Help with some chemistry please

This is a discussion on Help with some chemistry please within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I am studying chemistry, and I am supposed to answer this question, which isn't explained how to solve in its ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    367

    Help with some chemistry please

    I am studying chemistry, and I am supposed to answer this question, which isn't explained how to solve in its book. I thought you'd might have some experience, so if you do, please explain for me how this is to be solved:

    "The relative atomic mass of iridium is 192.2. Iridium occurs naturally as a mixture of iridium-191 and iridium-193. What is the percentage of each isotope in naturally-occuring iridium?"

  2. #2
    ¡Amo fútbol!
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,136
    x*mass of iridium191 + (1-x)*mass of iridium193=192.2

    Solve for x.

  3. #3
    Unregistered Leeman_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    753
    The sum of the percentages of all naturally occuring isotopes equals the atomic mass...thats how they get the atomic mass of elements.

  4. #4
    The Earth is not flat. Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,420
    The sum of the percentages of all naturally occuring isotopes equals the atomic mass...thats how they get the atomic mass of elements
    Heh the sum of the percentages equals 100.

    But to clarify if i have element Z which has two isotopes, one makes up 20% of all Z and has mass 10, the other makes up 80% of all Z and has mass 20.

    The RAM for Z will be 18.

    Its basically just the average mass of the element.

  5. #5
    Toaster Zach L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    2,686
    Its a weighted average.
    The word rap as it applies to music is the result of a peculiar phonological rule which has stripped the word of its initial voiceless velar stop.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Chemistry questions
    By Panopticon in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 01:12 AM
  2. Help Me With Chemistry Ahhh
    By Shadow12345 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2002, 08:44 AM
  3. A stupid chemistry problem
    By Shadow12345 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2002, 05:07 PM
  4. Chemistry
    By Korn1699 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-21-2002, 07:25 AM
  5. Significant Figures and Chemistry
    By Korn1699 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2001, 10:37 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21