Linux installation instructions
I'm installing slackware tomorrow. Is this the correct process to install it?
1. Put the boot image I select on a floppy using RAWRITE
2. Copy color.gz onto a floppy for the root disk
3. Restart computer, put in boot disk for slackware.
4. Follow directions, wait until prompted to enter the root disk
5. Run fdisk that is [available when root disk runs] ?
6. Create two partitions, one for the root filesystem, and one for swap space
7. Quit fdisk, type in setup at shell prompt
8. Follow instructions
1) Do I only need to make the boot disk and root disk?
2) I have windows on one hard drive right now, and am going to instally LILO in setup. When do I choose which hard drive to make my partitions on when I run fdisk?
3) Is fdisk automatically available at the point where I put in the root disk?
4) Are there any steps I missed or seems like I'm confused on?
5) I really need to make sure I don't delete any partitions on my 100 GB hard drive w/ windows on it. How do I differentiate between partitions on 1 hard drive, and partitions on the other (physical) hard drive?
6) I am dualing with XP and linux. Does the regular LILO installation work for this?
7) How do I choose what type of partition to make when running fdisk (NTFS, FAT, etc)
Thanks a lot guys. I am going to get through this, I know it!