Computer Industry No Different Than Other Industries

This is a discussion on Computer Industry No Different Than Other Industries within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I have a reading that I was supposed to do for my Technology, Society, and Ethics class, however I simply ...

  1. #1
    TK
    Guest

    Computer Industry No Different Than Other Industries

    I have a reading that I was supposed to do for my Technology, Society, and Ethics class, however I simply forgot to read the article. At any rate we covered it in class. I will come back with more details later.

    Apparently in the US, many industries such as the automotive, electrical, and phone industries started out as monopolies. I forget the automotive monopoly, however for the others, General Electric and AT&T.

    The computer industry is no different. We all know who the monopoly is. At any rate I know a person from Russia, they say that everyone they know uses Microsoft and they have not even heard of any other operating systems. A poster from Egypt says it's all Microsoft. Look at NV and Sunlight, brainwashed Microsoft users. Their countries are not quite developing countries but close!

    We all know how it turns out in the end. The Monopoly gets dismembered. It is a matter of time before these other countries develop their own OS's. None have done so yet as far as I know. Linux was only a clone originally.

    All of the industries that resulted from the industrial revolution began this way, so the same with the information revolution. I think I'll enjoy this course.

  2. #2
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    >Look at NV and Sunlight, brainwashed Microsoft users.

    I know you probably didn't mean it that way, but I feel honored.

    >Their countries are not quite developing countries but close!

    If we are close, would you mind sending some monetary aid ? My bank account number is ...
    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  3. #3
    TK
    Guest
    Aren't you forgetting your instructions? Why don't I just send the money directly to Microsoft for you.

  4. #4
    ....
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Groningen (NL)
    Posts
    2,386
    Hmmm, not sure what you mean. But in automotive industries there still is monopoly and it seems to grow. Just look at Volkswagen. Seat, Skoda, Audi and some other brands, they are owned in some way by Volkswagen and they are still growing. Another example: Ford.

    There will always be monopolists. If someone invents something revolutionary and protects its intellectual property by laws, contracts, patents, etc., then it has the chance to become monopolists. Especially if the time is right and the right person is captain of that company. That's how Microsoft started. Bill Gates was just lucky one who was asked to provide an OS for the PC and he understood how to do business.

  5. #5
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    Some of the stuff that TK says is true....but, however, I think that if Microsoft does end up breaking apart like all the early monopolies did, it will not be for awhile.

    If I remember correctly, it was either AT&T or Bell that owned all the phone lines in America awhile back ago. Congress broke the monopoly up and made the company provide access to the phone lines to other companies, etc. If you look at phone service today, there are several companies. But no matter how many phone companies there are, the point is, they are all compatible. You can call anybody you want and talk to that person, whether they have MCI, AT&T, Southwestern Bell, Verizon, or one of the several other phone companies.

    I think that the same ability is needed in order for Microsoft to be broken up.

    Yes, there are ports of several programs to multiple operating systems, but nothing is really universal yet.

    If it works for Windows, it probably wont work for Linux. If it works for Linux, it probably wont work for Windows. The same goes for Macintosh.

    Ports can be made for programs to make them multi-OS compatible, but until compatibility between all these OS's is really made universal and easy, Microsoft will not be broken up.

    The reason everyone has Windows is because everyone else has it, and they want the same capabilities everyone else has. The average joe is not going to go out and buy a copy of Macintosh or Linux if it doesnt offer him the ability to the same stuff he can on Windows, or communicate very easily with no difficulty in several different ways with Windows users.

    Until that point is reached, Microsoft will not be broken up. For Microsoft to be broken up, compatibility between computer operating systems must be at the level of compatibility between phone companies.

    That's my opinion.
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  6. #6
    Much older and wiser Fountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Engeeeerland
    Posts
    1,158
    Oh, TK...monopoly this, monopoly that! I have a hotel on park lane.

    Just because I had a thread about the vindication of MS..

    Basically you can forget all you said..

    Truth is--go out and invent something original and i guess in 10 yrs you will have a monoploy..You wouldnt moan.

    All this tat about Linux and whoever-think b4 you speak....

    If it was as good and friendly GUI or wotever, do you not think all of us would be talking to you now on it..?

    Jaguar were once the top marquee manufactures in the world...they got bought--ohhhhh a monopoly......Yeh right, and if you think the same people that make the focus/fiesta have even a LOOK in at the new 'S' type-you are mistaken.

    So, if you make something(like an OS) and it is better than anything else..say Windows, WHAT the F*** is the problem making loads of cash and trying to improve it?

    I think most people on this site(bar the under 21's, which narrows it down to under 30) would appreciate being able to devise something and make a buck.

    Why the talk of breaking MS up? What is the point-the best brains in the US have been bought by the richest company.....THAT alone doesnt BTW make it a monoploy. IT makes it prosperous, and is like ALL other businesses out there.

    There are so many opportunities out there, so please STFU slagging some1 off, and
    JUST do it yourself....or, are you

    a. Jealous
    b. a twat
    c. just a ****e stirrer
    d. not have any talent to invent something that people want


    I may sound a BIT rash, but come on-follow my thread .. nearly every1 on here uses and likes some MS products..be it an OS (XP OH YES-NO 1 CAN COMPLAIN BOUT THAT!), or office utils etc.....

    Finished now...good night
    Such is life.

  7. #7
    Registered User The Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    788
    I think most people on this site(bar the under 21's, which narrows it down to under 30)
    Just so classic

  8. #8
    &TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,789
    Fountain........Are you real?

  9. #9
    Much older and wiser Fountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Engeeeerland
    Posts
    1,158
    oh fordy...i have read YOUR OWN replies to MY thread about leaving MS alone...AND then you have the nerve to question your OWN views on a post I make....OH DEAR.


    PEOPLE...decide...TK is a raving looney, and hates MS..


    YOU all use MS software

    No technical stuff needed here, and politics not either.

    It is basically TK and his ANTI MS crusade that bugs me.


    So Fordy..I am REAL, a fond MS user..so waken up and get the F*** off my case.

    No need for monopoly discussions here..Unless they are real


    BTW fordy...invented something as good as Bill gates has this week? You all are sooooooooo jealous
    Such is life.

  10. #10
    TK
    Guest
    Originally posted by DavidP
    Some of the stuff that TK says is true....but, however, I think that if Microsoft does end up breaking apart like all the early monopolies did, it will not be for awhile.

    If I remember correctly, it was either AT&T or Bell that owned all the phone lines in America awhile back ago. Congress broke the monopoly up and made the company provide access to the phone lines to other companies, etc. If you look at phone service today, there are several companies. But no matter how many phone companies there are, the point is, they are all compatible. You can call anybody you want and talk to that person, whether they have MCI, AT&T, Southwestern Bell, Verizon, or one of the several other phone companies.

    I think that the same ability is needed in order for Microsoft to be broken up.

    Yes, there are ports of several programs to multiple operating systems, but nothing is really universal yet.

    If it works for Windows, it probably wont work for Linux. If it works for Linux, it probably wont work for Windows. The same goes for Macintosh.

    Ports can be made for programs to make them multi-OS compatible, but until compatibility between all these OS's is really made universal and easy, Microsoft will not be broken up.

    The reason everyone has Windows is because everyone else has it, and they want the same capabilities everyone else has. The average joe is not going to go out and buy a copy of Macintosh or Linux if it doesnt offer him the ability to the same stuff he can on Windows, or communicate very easily with no difficulty in several different ways with Windows users.

    Until that point is reached, Microsoft will not be broken up. For Microsoft to be broken up, compatibility between computer operating systems must be at the level of compatibility between phone companies.

    That's my opinion.
    They say that standards enabled competition to enter the industries. It is not right for one company to own everything however most of the major industries started out that way and actions were eventually taken to break them up. The information industry is no different. I need to read the article though, maybe I'll do it today.

  11. #11
    &TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,789
    Originally posted by Fountain
    oh fordy...i have read YOUR OWN replies to MY thread about leaving MS alone...AND then you have the nerve to question your OWN views on a post I make....OH DEAR.


    PEOPLE...decide...TK is a raving looney, and hates MS..


    YOU all use MS software

    No technical stuff needed here, and politics not either.

    It is basically TK and his ANTI MS crusade that bugs me.


    So Fordy..I am REAL, a fond MS user..so waken up and get the F*** off my case.

    No need for monopoly discussions here..Unless they are real


    BTW fordy...invented something as good as Bill gates has this week? You all are sooooooooo jealous


    Fountain....my expectation of you drops with every word you write......I typed 4 words and I was only joking with you as you seemed worked up....I didnt mention MS once in theis thread.....Ah well

    Keep em coming.......I need some entertainment tonight....

  12. #12
    TK
    Guest
    Originally posted by Fountain
    oh fordy...i have read YOUR OWN replies to MY thread about leaving MS alone...AND then you have the nerve to question your OWN views on a post I make....OH DEAR.


    PEOPLE...decide...TK is a raving looney, and hates MS..


    YOU all use MS software

    No technical stuff needed here, and politics not either.

    It is basically TK and his ANTI MS crusade that bugs me.


    So Fordy..I am REAL, a fond MS user..so waken up and get the F*** off my case.

    No need for monopoly discussions here..Unless they are real


    BTW fordy...invented something as good as Bill gates has this week? You all are sooooooooo jealous
    Sunlight, it will be for your own good but until then I think you should take your medications.

  13. #13
    Much older and wiser Fountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Engeeeerland
    Posts
    1,158
    Originally posted by DavidP
    Some of the stuff that TK says is true....but, however, I think that if Microsoft does end up breaking apart like all the early monopolies did, it will not be for awhile.

    If I remember correctly, it was either AT&T or Bell that owned all the phone lines in America awhile back ago. Congress broke the monopoly up and made the company provide access to the phone lines to other companies, etc. If you look at phone service today, there are several companies. But no matter how many phone companies there are, the point is, they are all compatible. You can call anybody you want and talk to that person, whether they have MCI, AT&T, Southwestern Bell, Verizon, or one of the several other phone companies.

    I think that the same ability is needed in order for Microsoft to be broken up.

    Yes, there are ports of several programs to multiple operating systems, but nothing is really universal yet.

    If it works for Windows, it probably wont work for Linux. If it works for Linux, it probably wont work for Windows. The same goes for Macintosh.

    Ports can be made for programs to make them multi-OS compatible, but until compatibility between all these OS's is really made universal and easy, Microsoft will not be broken up.

    The reason everyone has Windows is because everyone else has it, and they want the same capabilities everyone else has. The average joe is not going to go out and buy a copy of Macintosh or Linux if it doesnt offer him the ability to the same stuff he can on Windows, or communicate very easily with no difficulty in several different ways with Windows users.

    Until that point is reached, Microsoft will not be broken up. For Microsoft to be broken up, compatibility between computer operating systems must be at the level of compatibility between phone companies.

    That's my opinion.



    HMMM because every1 else has windows....

    Dont you remember 15 yrs ago, when the BASIC language etc was the same(ish)...but who was making money?

    Commodore

    BBC

    SINCLAIR


    YOU see, every had a fair stab at it. OH man you lot will never understand this point, so I am going
    Such is life.

  14. #14
    Much older and wiser Fountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Engeeeerland
    Posts
    1,158
    Originally posted by Fordy




    Fountain....my expectation of you drops with every word you write......I typed 4 words and I was only joking with you as you seemed worked up....I didnt mention MS once in theis thread.....Ah well

    Keep em coming.......I need some entertainment tonight....

    If you need entertainment.

    A. Dont mess with me when it comes to MS
    B. Fiddle with your willy
    c. Try typing more than FOUR words to make a proper sentance



    YOU see, I like Fordy, but have to make fun as he cannot understand pure TK wind up stations!


    I LIKE every1 on the board, but do not like ONE sided,WORN out threads that keep getting repeated, especially by TK.

    HONEST I am really a nice bloke. Any1 fancy a can of stella? Aint got many left but you can have 1
    Such is life.

  15. #15
    Christian
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    618
    Yes, microsoft is Trust, but it does not need to be broken up.

    A trust only needs to be broken up if:

    1. For the nations intrest
    - on of the Invastment brokers was onnce a trust and was broken up because it had complete control over monney.

    2 Commodies- as there are limmited
    -Oil, gas, any thing like that

    3: Upstart cost- Trains/ Phone/Water lines/electricy
    - Anything requiting that you put massises amount of monney into.
    --Laying a new rail road, for example is to pricy.

    4: Work/Market ethics
    - They don't pay there employes enought
    -over charge for products

    Microsoft does not fall into any of these catagories.
    I shall call egypt the harmless dragon

    -Isaiah 30.7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 12:16 PM
  2. Major Computer Problem
    By Olidivera in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
  3. Tabbed Windows with MDI?
    By willc0de4food in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 10:58 PM
  4. Computer will not boot.
    By RealityFusion in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 04:05 PM
  5. US Army enters the Computer Gaming Industry
    By kermi3 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-29-2002, 06:01 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21