the TI-89

This is a discussion on the TI-89 within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; anyone heard of it? what are its features? for AP calculus next year, i must buy a new graphing calculator. ...

  1. #1
    Just because ygfperson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,493

    the TI-89

    anyone heard of it? what are its features?

    for AP calculus next year, i must buy a new graphing calculator. this is the one my teacher suggested. i got a TI-80 from my aunt ~7 years ago, and it's too outdated for the work i need to do. besides, i heard i can program it using assembly. so, i'm curious as to what features it has.

    oh, and one other thing: does it have a c compiler?

  2. #2
    Unregistered
    Guest
    The only thing you need for AP Calculus is a TI-83 or TI-83+.

    They are a lot cheaper and do everything you need to do, and they do it quite well.

    TI-89's are quite nice, but expensive and have soo many funtions that they can be difficult to use.

    The only thing that would ever cause me to get a TI89 is their ability to graph 3d functions, their ability to graph functions that are written inexplicitly, and a few other advanced calculus functions that could be done with a TI83 and a few minutes of paper work.

    If you have the money and time to learn it, go ahead.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    244
    Whoops, thats me ^^ (forgot to login)

  4. #4
    Banned Troll_King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,784
    I had some problems with the TI-92, but I like the TI-85.

  5. #5
    Registered User Cruxus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    87
    I don't know whether this concerns you; but, if you are going to be taking the ACT or SAT, you might not be allowed to use a TI-89. I know that the ACT, at least, forbid the TI-89 or anything from the TI-9x series for the mathematics section of the test. I have a TI-86 (similar to a TI-85), and it includes several advanced calculus features that I don't even use . A TI-83 Plus would probably work well enough; it's programmable in a Basic-like language and a form of Z80 assembly (just like most other graphing calulators in the TI-8x series); and, what's better, you'll be able to find more calculator games for it .

    On the other hand, your teacher knows more about the class she is teaching than any of us do, so maybe it would be better to get the TI-89.

  6. #6
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    The only thing you need for AP Calculus is a TI-83 or TI-83+.

    They are a lot cheaper and do everything you need to do, and they do it quite well.

    TI-89's are quite nice, but expensive and have soo many funtions that they can be difficult to use.

    The only thing that would ever cause me to get a TI89 is their ability to graph 3d functions, their ability to graph functions that are written inexplicitly, and a few other advanced calculus functions that could be done with a TI83 and a few minutes of paper work.

    If you have the money and time to learn it, go ahead.
    you do not need a calculator for calculus! most universities and high shcools will not allow you to use them in the first place... calculus is mostly algebra so there is no use for a calculator

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    244
    Originally posted by Unregistered


    you do not need a calculator for calculus! most universities and high shcools will not allow you to use them in the first place... calculus is mostly algebra so there is no use for a calculator
    Lies!

    Without a calculator how on earth would you figure out complicated integrals? YOU CAN'T! The only way would be to carry around a huge table of integrals, and that would be a pain (and would not always work).

    I assure you, calculators are VERY important for calculus. They should only be used as tool, however, blah blah blah.
    Out of curiosity, have you even taken a calculus course?

    And I might add, all TI calculators WITHOUT QWERTY keyboards, can be used on AP and SAT exams.

    Troll_King: Their is a reason that TI doesn't make TI-85's anymore. They had the tendency to be.. wrong, when doing certain operations. I know some people who still use them becuase they like them (like my calculus teacher), but I would not use one nowadays.

  8. #8
    Much older and wiser Fountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Engeeeerland
    Posts
    1,158
    oh man, i thought the TI wotever was a TERMINATOR! I was gonna hide under my sofa!!!
    Such is life.

  9. #9
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Originally posted by Captain Penguin


    Lies!

    Without a calculator how on earth would you figure out complicated integrals? YOU CAN'T! The only way would be to carry around a huge table of integrals, and that would be a pain (and would not always work).

    I assure you, calculators are VERY important for calculus. They should only be used as tool, however, blah blah blah.
    Out of curiosity, have you even taken a calculus course?

    And I might add, all TI calculators WITHOUT QWERTY keyboards, can be used on AP and SAT exams.

    Troll_King: Their is a reason that TI doesn't make TI-85's anymore. They had the tendency to be.. wrong, when doing certain operations. I know some people who still use them becuase they like them (like my calculus teacher), but I would not use one nowadays.
    yes i have and i am in my third year in calculus(EE if you must know) now my question is if your pluggin numbers into a calculator where does the wrok come from? and complicated integrals hah you can solve them without a silly calculator...

  10. #10
    ¡Amo fútbol!
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,136
    Here's the deal. The TI-89 is really good for calc. The only problem is, when you use it for statistics, it is more of a pain in the ass than the ti 83/83+. It has many good features and saves you a great deal of time with its symbolic capabilities. It can also keep things in exact form instead of simplifying it out to a decimal. For example, the sin(pi/2) is the squareroot(2)/2. I like it personally.

    P.S. I don't know if it is worth it pricewise. Mine was inheritted.

  11. #11
    Registered User sean345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    346
    I just took AP Calculus and I used a TI-82. It has enough features to get you through. The AP Test requires a graphing calculator as does the course. Most people in the class, though had a TI-83+.

    - Sean
    If cities were built like software is built, the first woodpecker to come along would level civilization.
    Black Frog Studios

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    244
    Originally posted by Unregistered


    yes i have and i am in my third year in calculus(EE if you must know) now my question is if your pluggin numbers into a calculator where does the wrok come from? and complicated integrals hah you can solve them without a silly calculator...
    Without some extremely advanced integration techniques, finding the antiderivative of some functions is extremely difficult. Some are even impossible.

    For example, if you use the integral to find the length of a curve, the integral that results is almost damn near impossible to do out without a calculator.

  13. #13
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Originally posted by Captain Penguin


    Without some extremely advanced integration techniques, finding the antiderivative of some functions is extremely difficult. Some are even impossible.

    For example, if you use the integral to find the length of a curve, the integral that results is almost damn near impossible to do out without a calculator.
    yes this is true that is why your professors do not give you extremely difficult integrals

    this is for canada so whatever...up here they believe in doing everything on paper calculators are banned from all exams...

  14. #14
    Just because ygfperson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,493
    afaik, the ap test requires a graphing calculator. it does allow my old calc as well as the ti-89.

    in terms of processor speed, and etc...
    how strong is the ti-89?
    is there a compiler for these calculators?

  15. #15
    ¡Amo fútbol!
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,136
    goto ticalc.org. There is a link there for the c programmers calc group or something like that. Processing, I think it has a 6 or 12 mhz processor. It IS legal on Sat's, and all other tests (no qwerty keyboard). It is almost just as good as the illegal 92, just no geometry software built in. You can download it though for like $30.

    P.S. I found the link. It is http://tigcc.ticalc.org. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. C bubble sort?
    By fredanthony in forum C Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 09:54 PM
  2. TI 89 Programming
    By alpha in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 06:14 PM
  3. TI 89 Input routine with comma, backspace and sign
    By overspray in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2003, 05:51 AM
  4. is gotoxy a part of ANSI C 89 standard
    By kendals in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2002, 07:43 PM
  5. TI Tetrinet
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2001, 09:34 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21