British people - Gibralter requests your support

This is a discussion on British people - Gibralter requests your support within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; In an advert placed in 'The Times' and other newpapers today by the Gibraltar Government, Gibraltarians are requesting that you ...

  1. #1
    My diaper's full....... stevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    759

    British people - Gibraltar requests your support

    In an advert placed in 'The Times' and other newpapers today by the Gibraltar Government, Gibraltarians are requesting that you E mail a brief letter of support against proposed deals with Spain over the sovereignity of Gibraltar.

    you can do this by E mailing:
    info@gibraltar.gov.uk

    they point out in the advert that :

    Gibraltar has been British since 1704,
    is self-governing, politically stable, economically prosperous and part of the EU,
    is financially self-sufficient-costing the UK taxpayer nothing,
    is a strategic military base,
    has unilaterally, unequivacally supported Britain in all her wars and conflicts since before the Napoleonic War right through to the Falklands war...(notably in the Second World War and as a NATO base)

    i would also add "a referendum was held at which the people of Gibraltar were asked whether they wanted to remain British or be handed over to Spain. Over 12,000 people voted for Britain, with only 44 choosing the Spanish option"

    virtually the entire population recently took to the streets to proclaim they wished to remain British...

    GIBRALTAR IS BRITISH

    please show your support.........
    Last edited by stevey; 05-17-2002 at 10:48 AM.
    Steve

  2. #2
    Just because ygfperson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,493
    didn't all british colonies become independant already?

    either way, i would vote for gibraltian autonomy, free from spanish or british rule

  3. #3
    My diaper's full....... stevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    759
    Originally posted by ygfperson
    didn't all british colonies become independant already?

    either way, i would vote for gibraltian autonomy, free from spanish or british rule
    FREE FROM BRITISH RULE ????? what on earth are you on about!!!!!!! thats like saying ''i vote for Hawii or Alaska or massachusetts etc to be free of American rule''

    Gibraltar is a part of the United Kingdom and they wish to remain so...they DO NOT WANT TO BE INDEPENDANT, THEY WISH TO BE BRITISH AND NOT SPANISH!!!! if they voted for independance they can have it, no problem, THEY DON'T WANT IT!!!!! they don't want to be part of Spain thats the whole point.....like the Falklands didn't want to be part of Argentina.....the people of Gibraltar vote in the UK general elections, as well as their local elections, they are UK citizens and want to stay that way...

    GOVERNMENT
    Country name:
    conventional long form: none
    conventional short form: Gibraltar

    Data code: GI

    Dependency status: overseas territory of the UK

    Government type: NA

    Capital: Gibraltar

    Administrative divisions: none (overseas territory of the UK)

    Independence: none (overseas territory of the UK)

    National holiday: Commonwealth Day (second Monday of March)

    Constitution: 30 May 1969

    Legal system: English law

    Suffrage: 18 years of age; universal, plus other UK subjects who have been residents six months or more

    Executive branch:
    chief of state: Queen ELIZABETH II (since 6 February 1952), represented by Governor and Commander-in-Chief, the Right Honorable Sir Richard LUCE (since 24 February 1997)
    head of government: Chief Minister Peter CARUANA (since 17 May 1996)
    cabinet: Council of Ministers appointed from among the elected members of the House of Assembly by the governor in consultation with the chief minister
    note: there is also a Gibraltar Council that advises the governor
    elections: none; the monarch is hereditary; governor appointed by the monarch; chief minister appointed by the governor

    Legislative branch: unicameral House of Assembly (18 seats—15 elected, on for the Speaker, and two ex officio; members are elected by popular vote to serve four-year terms)
    elections: last held 16 May 1996 (next to be held NA May 2000)
    election results: percent of vote by party—SD 53%, SL 42%, NP 3%; seats by party—SD 8, SL 7

    Judicial branch: Supreme Court; Court of Appeal
    Last edited by stevey; 05-17-2002 at 11:01 AM.
    Steve

  4. #4
    Funniest man in this seat minesweeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    801
    I just tried to e-mail that link but the mail failed.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    207
    I'm sorry for you guy, but I think that Gibraltar should belong to Spain, just like Ceuta and Melilla shouldn't be Spanish anymore.

    Why in the world people from Gibraltar feel British if they don't even speak English?

    I know they "can" speak English, but, when they're at home or with friends, they speak SPANISH!

    Will you explain me how you can feel Italian if you don't even speak Italian at home? how French would you feel living at 1000 miles from France and speaking in Turkish?

    Come on! people from Gibraltar wont to stay British becuase that way their "wallets" are healthier, that is the only reason. And also, because they think you can feel more proud belonging to a "big nation" like GB than to those lazy Spaniards.

    They ain't British! (nor English, Scotish, Welsh, Irish...)

  6. #6
    Just because ygfperson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,493
    in the interest of keeping american-anglo relations civil, i'll say only one thing:
    if everybody on gibraltar wants to be english, why do they need our support?

  7. #7
    &TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,789
    We are all Europeans now........sovereignity is old.....

    All we need are a few Jedi Knights and the republic will be all we need.

  8. #8
    Registered User Inept Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    140
    Surely it won't affect much, people e-mailing someone about Gibraltar, surely in the end it will be decided by the ruling powers there and the residents of Gibraltar.

    E-mails from nosey outsiders can barely be expected to sway anything...

  9. #9
    Funniest man in this seat minesweeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    801
    Why are we nosey outsiders? We are british people e-mailing the british government to petition that they don't force other british citizens to be ruled under a different country. I would like to think that the overwhelming evidence that the people of Gibralter want to remain british would be enough to stop the government handing it over, but as any brit knows, Tony Blair doesn't listen to a word any of us "normal people" say unless we shout loud enough or pay a large enough donation to the Labour party.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    207

    Just for the record

    For those of you who don't know me, I'm not British (but I do live in the UK), I'm Spanish.

  11. #11
    My diaper's full....... stevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    759
    Originally posted by minesweeper
    I just tried to e-mail that link but the mail failed.
    goddamn it, i can't spell for toffee....

    try the edited link, i spelt Gibraltar mistakenly with an e !!!
    sorry...
    Steve

  12. #12
    My diaper's full....... stevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    759
    Originally posted by Gades
    I'm sorry for you guy, but I think that Gibraltar should belong to Spain, just like Ceuta and Melilla shouldn't be Spanish anymore.

    Why in the world people from Gibraltar feel British if they don't even speak English?

    I know they "can" speak English, but, when they're at home or with friends, they speak SPANISH!

    Will you explain me how you can feel Italian if you don't even speak Italian at home? how French would you feel living at 1000 miles from France and speaking in Turkish?

    Come on! people from Gibraltar wont to stay British becuase that way their "wallets" are healthier, that is the only reason. And also, because they think you can feel more proud belonging to a "big nation" like GB than to those lazy Spaniards.

    They ain't British! (nor English, Scotish, Welsh, Irish...)
    ok what about the Canary iselands...they are next to Morrocco, NOT Spain....if all the Canary islands people want to remain Spanish, is it fair to give the islands to Morocco ?????

    ive been to Gibraltar, and everyone spoke English ..mebe they spoke English because i was English i dunno, but anyway if 99% of them want to remain part of the UK cos they are financially better off then i think they have that right....

    a lot of our Asian community speak Urdu and other languages at home, but they are still British.....
    Last edited by stevey; 05-17-2002 at 11:05 AM.
    Steve

  13. #13
    My diaper's full....... stevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    759
    Originally posted by Inept Pig
    Surely it won't affect much, people e-mailing someone about Gibraltar, surely in the end it will be decided by the ruling powers there and the residents of Gibraltar.

    E-mails from nosey outsiders can barely be expected to sway anything...
    eh??? nosey outsiders??? we are all UK citizens.....

    I think you may have missed the point that the advert placed in the British press was paid for by the Gibraltar Government, acting on the wishes of the vast majority of their population...
    they request that their fellow UK citizens petition the British Government. this is because they feel that the British Government is not acting according to their wishes, and that only by demonstrating your support will our government ever listen......
    Steve

  14. #14
    My diaper's full....... stevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    759
    Originally posted by minesweeper
    Why are we nosey outsiders? We are british people e-mailing the british government to petition that they don't force other british citizens to be ruled under a different country. I would like to think that the overwhelming evidence that the people of Gibralter want to remain british would be enough to stop the government handing it over, but as any brit knows, Tony Blair doesn't listen to a word any of us "normal people" say unless we shout loud enough or pay a large enough donation to the Labour party.
    exactly, well said.....thank you.
    Steve

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    207
    Originally posted by stevey


    ok what about the Canary iselands...they are next to Morrocco, NOT Spain....if all the Canary islands people want to remain Spanish, is it fair to give the islands to Morocco ?????

    ive been to Gibraltar, and everyone spoke English ..mebe they spoke English because i was English i dunno, but anyway if 99% of them want to remain part of the UK cos they are financially better off then i think they have that right....

    a lot of our Asian community speak Urdu and other languages at home, but they are still British.....
    About the Canary Iselands, I think just the same thing like Ceuta and Melilla, I just gave two examples, but I meant more than the example. Just one point: people from Canary speak Spanish.

    About the Gibraltar people speaking English: yes, they spoke English to you because you're English. I've been to Gibraltar lots of times in my life (I grew up quite close to it); and I've met lots of students from Gibraltar when I was living in England. I've been in a house full of students from Gibraltar, and while I was in a room with one of them, I could hear how all the guys next door were speaking Spanish, while watching BBC news. About this case, let me know that it's only an example; just in case...

    Although, as Sir Fordy said, we're Europeans (even we don't have the Euro in here yet, but give it a few years...).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Million troops on the border
    By vasanth in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 10:37 AM
  2. the us constitution
    By ygfperson in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 05-28-2002, 05:22 AM
  3. Do you support gay people
    By Golden Bunny in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 05-11-2002, 05:09 PM
  4. Language
    By nvoigt in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-29-2002, 03:28 PM
  5. Religious Bull****
    By Witch_King in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 10-23-2001, 08:14 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21