Compare with this opinion PM

This is a discussion on Compare with this opinion PM within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I got the second PM "Compare with this opinion" with suspisios link. Now it is from MiracleM5. (previos was from ...

  1. #1
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,424

    Compare with this opinion PM

    I got the second PM "Compare with this opinion" with suspisios link.

    Now it is from MiracleM5. (previos was from historyR)

    I see his messages on the board are deleted, but what about PMs?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  2. #2
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    20,973
    Sorry, you have to delete them yourself.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,424
    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Sorry, you have to delete them yourself.
    seems to me these users are bots. Shouldn't these accounts be deleted?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #4
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    20,973
    Quote Originally Posted by vart
    Shouldn't these accounts be deleted?
    It amounts to the same thing here. I do not think that banned users can send PMs to other users. The PM that was sent to you was before the bot account was banned.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  5. #5
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    I thought you required n posts before being able to PM?

  6. #6
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    I thought you required n posts before being able to PM?
    I'm almost certain that there is a vBulletin exploit that the spammers have been using for a while. I don't know if this board has a minimum set, but I don't think it would matter regardless.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  7. #7
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    20,973
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom
    I don't know if this board has a minimum set, but I don't think it would matter regardless.
    Yes, even with a minimum, the bot can first spam with posts, and then spam with PMs once the post requirement is reached.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  8. #8
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    489
    i can't believe it's a bot. Even i find it difficult to read the captcha displayed during registration. How can a bot possibly process such a complicated image?.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
    - Albert Einstein.


    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    - Herbert Mayer

  9. #9
    Crazy Fool Perspective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmithx View Post
    i can't believe it's a bot. Even i find it difficult to read the captcha displayed during registration. How can a bot possibly process such a complicated image?.
    There are a number of ways, the most clever of which use humans. Let's say Kermi want's to start spamming vbulliten boards. He already has probably 10s of users a day signing up here and filling in captchas. He just swaps the auto-gen captchas for the ones his bot is challenged with and the humans here solve the captcha for his bot.

    Alternately there could be a programming bug to bypass the captcha entirely.



    Suggestion: The right to PM should be based both on a minimum post count that spans at least one week. That way bots can be banned before they send out all of these annoying PMs.

  10. #10
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    There are a number of ways, the most clever of which use humans. Let's say Kermi want's to start spamming vbulliten boards. He already has probably 10s of users a day signing up here and filling in captchas. He just swaps the auto-gen captchas for the ones his bot is challenged with and the humans here solve the captcha for his bot.

    Alternately there could be a programming bug to bypass the captcha entirely.



    Suggestion: The right to PM should be based both on a minimum post count that spans at least one week. That way bots can be banned before they send out all of these annoying PMs.
    Or there is a web site the bot uses...

    Spammer creates a very attractive site that requires registration. (Download free porno video of the day, for example)
    As soon as bot initialtes the registration process on the vBulletin boars the captcha is downloaded and presented to the first user who wants to register on that "bot-support" site. user answer is than supplied to the vBulletin...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  11. #11
    Crazy Fool Perspective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,640
    >Or there is a web site the bot uses...

    That's what I meant by Kermi, he runs this web site (well, him and webmaster). Though porn-of-the-day probably would get more registration than cboard

  12. #12
    Crazy Fool Perspective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by independentg View Post
    When i read this topic, i think about that sort of things http://sourceradix.com/m/mon.html
    You may check that, and most likely it would change your mind. Whatever.


    ROFL! How terribly appropriate for this thread.


    edit: by the way, it's a spam bot post.. don't bother clicking the link. If the mods dont' catch it quick some of you will likely get a PM pretty soon from the same user.

  13. #13
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,159
    Quote Originally Posted by worshipedu View Post
    When i read this topic, i think about that sort of things http://sourceradix.com/m/mon.html
    You may check that, and most likely it would change your mind. Whatever.
    Can we say "ban this netblock?" Jeez.
    Code:
    //try
    //{
    	if (a) do { f( b); } while(1);
    	else   do { f(!b); } while(1);
    //}

  14. #14
    Registered User Codeplug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,607
    Let's see how 3.8.1 holds up

    gg

  15. #15
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    I think im still running 3.7.4, havent bothered with 3.8.1 yet I suppose I should...

    oops, just checked im at 3.7.1, really out of date,
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Help Writing My Own String Compare
    By djwicks in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 09:44 PM
  2. c++ string creation and file manipulation
    By ccb056 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 02:01 PM
  3. Freedom of opinion
    By Shiro in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2002, 06:06 AM
  4. Can't figure out why?
    By kwigibo in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2001, 10:58 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21