View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • McCain

    8 30.77%
  • Obama

    12 46.15%
  • Third Party Candidate

    6 23.08%

Who did you vote for? (anonymous poll)

This is a discussion on Who did you vote for? (anonymous poll) within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; > "Muslim" is a religion. "Black" is a race. How can you be 3/8 of a religion? It's a cult. ...

  1. #46
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    > "Muslim" is a religion. "Black" is a race. How can you be 3/8 of a religion?
    It's a cult. Big difference :-)

    And that's not being racist, since you just said -- it's not a race!

    Have you ever considered that students (be it Uni or otherwise) do not live on a level playing field? The poorest post-code in my state is in-fact my University. What's my point? The world isn't level, get over it.
    Last edited by zacs7; 11-06-2008 at 03:24 PM.

  2. #47
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by matsp View Post
    I doubt that there are many still alive, but are you sure that there are NONE:


    --
    Mats
    It may be possible that some newborn infant who was technicalyl a slave has grandchildren living in a nursing home today, which is irrelevant.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  3. #48
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    The poorest post-code in my state is in-fact my University.
    Is that because the people who live there are students -> no real income (yet)?

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  4. #49
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Yes. But that still doesn't change the fact that it is. There's almost 0 government input (on that side), they do pay a portion of Uni fees for local undergraduate students. It's mainly because of debt and income, income is very low (poor part time jobs or placements) and debt is very high ($100,000 + for Med students).

    Instead the government give free houses to the immigrants and cash payments -- WTF! I know that the UK has/is largely being messed up by immigrants.

    Back to the topic at hand...

  5. #50
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    It may be possible that some newborn infant who was technicalyl a slave has grandchildren living in a nursing home today, which is irrelevant.
    So, if it's not relevant, why did you bring it up? I'm just pointing out that you are making assumptions and presenting them as facts.

    When you say "3/8" Muslim, do you mean to say that he's partly practicing Christian, and partly practicing Islam, or that he's of Christian belief but has a father who is practicing Islam? As far as I know, most faiths are a "all or nothing" - you are either a believer/practitioner of that religion, or you are not - you are not allowed to "mix" your religion.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  6. #51
    Hail to the king, baby. Akkernight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    717
    Hah! Bringing religion and belives into a forum, always ends bad :P
    Currently research OpenGL

  7. #52
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    I know that the UK has/is largely being messed up by immigrants.
    Yup, I'm one of them - ok, so I'm White, relatively well educated, own my own house (well, at least the small part that the Bank isn't holding in exchange for the mortgage), but I'm still technically not British.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  8. #53
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    I haven't been to the UK for 5 years. But based on statistics, I'd say it's pretty messed up. That includes large numbers of British families leaving, and twice as many immigrants taking their places.

    At least Obama is offering health-care for everyone, which has never been (as far as I know).

  9. #54
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,383
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    I haven't been to the UK for 5 years. But based on statistics, I'd say it's pretty messed up. That includes large numbers of British families leaving, and twice as many immigrants taking their places.
    What places exactly? And how do you exactly correlate in-migration with out-migration? Finally what makes you think UK is messed up?

    The fact that it is still a major economical power in Europe and in the world, strikes you as messed up? The fact that despite all the problems that do still exist, is just after Netherlands (and possibly Norway?) the country in Europe where racial prejudice is less observed, strikes you as messed up?

    I'm positively at awe how we can still have this type of conversation on the 21st century. Particularly when country after country has been built on immigration labor and it's all part of our history books, right there for anyone to study. Australia being one fine example. Your country Zacs. Don't get me started on Australia in-migration history and its importance to the building of that fine nation...

    People always migrated, and locals were always pretty much territorial. And yet, after tenths of thousands of years I'm still yet to see any evidence of a civilization, empire or nation being messed up because of its immigrants. Quiet the contrary.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 11-06-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  10. #55
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,584
    While I agree on what you say Bubba, I just don't believe America fought for itself in Vietnam or does in Iraq.
    From a purely political standpoint you are correct and I would agree. However from a military standpoint when you go to fight you it does not matter the political issues behind it. That is for the suits in Washington and worrying about things you cannot control whilst in a combat zone is sure to get you killed. So from the standpoints of the soldiers they were told to go here or there and take this objective or that. In that sense they were fighting for America regardless of the actual underlying political issues. They did their job and they did what they were told. No man can be faulted for sacrificing his dreams, pursuits, and sometimes his life to fight a war they don't understand, may not support, and has little control over. When they say go you go and you do so for no other reason than it's your job. Politicians are the ones who make war - the soldiers are the ones who execute it. I have no love loss for politicians but I salute the men and women who put their lives on the line or leave their families for months at a time simply because they are told to do so. All heroes.

  11. #56
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Besides, I'm surprised you think those comments should put into question Jackson's support. Has Jackson ever supported a non-Democrat? Just because he's critical doesn't make him a fraud or someone whose support is solely based on race.

    In fact, as I said earlier, I think the country's reasons for voting in Obama were not based on the color of his skin, but rather the content of his character. There's no way white America would vote for a black man unless he was (overly) qualified. And while I'm certain there were a lot of blacks who voted for Obama because of his skin color, I don't see that as such a big deal. Polls showed black voters were hesitant to vote for Obama until after he won mostly-white Iowa. And of course blacks vote democrat all the time anyway.
    Well, one of the comments was blatantly racist and the other was just offensive. ... and I took that "nuts" comment out of context. He was in fact talking about how Obama was voicing his support for the majority and not his "fellow black men." Clearly the man dedicates himself to getting the African-American support regardless of what politicians that he claims to support might think... And it's not a matter of Democrat or Republican with him. With him, if a black man with power, be it a Democrat or Republican, doesn't use his power to support an Affirmative-Action cause in all issues that come to their attention... then they are not supporting their people.

    This is why I don't respect Jesse Jackson... it's why I respect men like Barack Obama or Clarence Thomas. They've risen above their race and can pass judgement to the benefit of all humanity and not just a sect that they consider "their people." I like to think that I, as a white guy, am one of Barack Obama's people... I know however, that in Jesse Jackson's mind... I will never be one of his people.
    Sent from my iPad®

  12. #57
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,383
    That's pretty much my reading of Jesse Jackson history too. With the good reverend there has always been a racial political agenda that goes beyond civil rights and sometimes even brushes the most basic forms of racism.

    The man hardly ever earned my respect throughout his activist and political career. The reason he was crying certainly had a lot to do with the fact Obama was black. But it annoyed me profoundly exactly because I don't forget the type of "support" the good reverend gave Obama.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  13. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,317
    I don't disagree with the notion that Jackson has bordered on racist himself in his crusade for justice for African-Americans. I don't think you have an accurate understanding of his support for the campaign.

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/...ckson.comment/

    Notice that Jackson said he felt "very distressed because I'm supportive of this campaign and with the senator." His son was even a co-chair of the campaign.

    I can totally accept a skepticism towards his methods, I just don't understand how his reaction to the moment could be annoying in and of itself.

  14. #59
    Registered Abuser
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Yes, its obvious that its white mans fault that blacks are so under-privileged, because they are so successful in countries where they are the majority like the Sudan, Ethiopia, Congo, etc.

    Slavery ended 143 years ago, there are no blacks alive today that were born to children of slaves. Life is tough for everyone, blacks arent anything special and do not deserve special treatment.

    If you think they do then I want every person who doesnt have native american ancestry to get off our continent.

    BTW, Obama is only 1/8 black, and 3/8 Muslim, so the only way he can claim to be black is if you follow the one drop rule.
    That was a highly unintelligible post from someone who I consider should know better. Slavery doesn't just end with all parties being equal. There may be no children alive today born slaves, but how many baby-boomers are still alive who were on the receiving end of a fire hose (or how many more who are not because they were on the receiving end of something much worse?). And how many are alive today, who remain indoctrinated, but silently-so, from a supremacist upbringing (or even much milder, subtle bias)?
    As for your racial breakdown, it is so ludicrous and wrought with ignorance (Muslim is a racial designation now???), that I won't touch it further.

    Race and racism is more than just historical: it is a dynamic that exists within the population today, manifesting itself in many subtle and not-so-subtle ways. This election proved that, for the most part, the majority of American people are beginning to resist its effects. Your sentiments are a step-backwards from that achievement, and though I know they exist in far too many of the uninformed, I can only naively hope they are ephemeral within you and willing to consider your's a one-off post illustrating why religion and politics often bring out the worst in most.

  15. #60
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Sometimes one must play devil's advocate to get the real issue out in the open The simple fact is that nothing will ever be enough, some people will always claim that there is residual oppression/rascism. It's time to move on, and that includes blacks.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. How do you create a Poll?
    By cpjust in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
  2. Poll - Terrorism & Torture
    By Kybo_Ren in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM
  3. Today on Cprogramming....When Polls go bad?
    By incognito in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-25-2002, 12:41 PM
  4. Poll this Poll that
    By ski6ski in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2001, 04:19 AM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-08-2001, 03:15 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21