Spamming legal?

This is a discussion on Spamming legal? within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I don't know? For me it's 1 fee for the whole package, but I'm sure people in some 3rd world ...

  1. #16
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545
    I don't know? For me it's 1 fee for the whole package, but I'm sure people in some 3rd world countries still use dial-up and pay for every little thing.
    Maybe also for people that surf the web on their mobile phones?
    "I am probably the laziest programmer on the planet, a fact with which anyone who has ever seen my code will agree." - esbo, 11/15/2008

    "the internet is a scary place to be thats why i dont use it much." - billet, 03/17/2010

  2. #17
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Transfer limits are very common in Europe. If you cross it, you get to pay dearly for every megabyte.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  3. #18
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by CornedBee View Post
    Transfer limits are very common in Europe. If you cross it, you get to pay dearly for every megabyte.
    In Estonia no ISPs have a transfer limit... isn't it the same way in the whole Northern Europe?

  4. #19
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Quote Originally Posted by maxorator View Post
    In Estonia no ISPs have a transfer limit... isn't it the same way in the whole Northern Europe?
    There are certainly ISP's in the UK that have limits. My ADSL connection have a limit - I have never reached it (because I rarely download any large content, I only browse this and a few other sites regularly) but there is one.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  5. #20
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Woah, I'm definitely in the wrong country then.

    When you say "no", do you mean "unlimited"? Or is it "within reason"?

  6. #21
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    Same in Ireland. The one I'm on at the moment's fairly meagre by modern standards (~10 or 20GB a month I believe), but I'm in the same boat as Mats in regard to downloading. More than less.

  7. #22
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,475
    I'm currently on a 60Gb limit, although I could pay monthly an extra flat fee of 7 Euros for unlimited transfers. I don't... and do find the 60Gb a little excessive for the type of use I give to the internet. Ironically it's a clear invitation on behalf of my ISP to all the bad practices, although I can conceive good uses too for those 60Gb.

    In any case I can relate to cpjust concerns. I cannot ignore them in their entirety. But truth the matter is that one single banner in a website has the potential to cover the download of 30, 50, 100 spam email messages. A software being offered to download can include all sorts of nonsensical stuff that increase the download size to levels that can cover those many spam messages. Or software that calls home for updates or during install has the potential to do the same.

    Certainly some aspects of all this we can control. But I don't think one can control the first one in its entirety. In th end, there's far worst things than spam clogging my mail box and there's even a solution to that, if your ISP uses IMAP or your email client has an option to download just headers
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #23
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    If I remember correctly, the amount of bandwidth I use in a month is about 2TB, because the ISP offers a high quality digital TV service (actually the computers in my house only use around 10GB a month I guess).

  9. #24
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,596
    Well if were up to me, I'd throw away the whole constitution and start over.
    Then thankfully it is not up to you. Throwing that away and starting over would be very bad indeed. The current Constitution has means for amending it although it requires a lot of approval to do so. Many of the laws we have on the books in the USA and in it's various states are not part of the Constitution but they do follow in its general footsteps. States also have their own constitutions and the laws concerning their usage is a bit more lenient so long as they do not violate the Constitution. I'm not sure if state constitutions only have the restriction that they cannot violate the Bill of Rights or if it applies to the Constitution as a whole.

    The Constitution lays out the foundation of US laws but in the end we have many, many, many, many laws that have little or nothing to do per se with the Constitution except for the fact that they do not expressly violate it's principles. Saying we should throw it away means we would have to rewrite every law written since its acceptance. There are many laws on the books now that are 100&#37; un-constitutional but because they have never been challenged they remain on the books. The First Ammendment is used often times to find loopholes in different cases but it is there first and foremost to protect American citizens. The original Constitution was the Bill of Rights and ammendments have been added since then such as the Federal Income Tax ammendent. I'm sorry but your statement was absurd and a bit ignorant of the facts. Now if you made a statement like we need to revamp our criminal law or throw out our current tax law and start over then that would make more sense under the American system of government. But suggest throwing out the Constitution to a lawyer or someone involved in government and they will likely attempt to dis-bar you (if you were a lawyer) or at the very least find a nice padded room for you to take an extended stay in.
    Last edited by VirtualAce; 09-15-2008 at 04:24 PM.

  10. #25
    Banned master5001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Visalia, CA, USA
    Posts
    3,685
    To be honest, if it were up to people today, we would never get a constitution even half as functional as the one we have.

  11. #26
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Then thankfully it is not up to you. Throwing that away and starting over would be very bad indeed. The current Constitution has means for amending it although it requires a lot of approval to do so. Many of the laws we have on the books in the USA and in it's various states are not part of the Constitution but they do follow in its general footsteps. States also have their own constitutions and the laws concerning their usage is a bit more lenient so long as they do not violate the Constitution. I'm not sure if state constitutions only have the restriction that they cannot violate the Bill of Rights or if it applies to the Constitution as a whole.

    The Constitution lays out the foundation of US laws but in the end we have many, many, many, many laws that have little or nothing to do per se with the Constitution except for the fact that they do not expressly violate it's principles. Saying we should throw it away means we would have to rewrite every law written since its acceptance. There are many laws on the books now that are 100% un-constitutional but because they have never been challenged they remain on the books. The First Ammendment is used often times to find loopholes in different cases but it is there first and foremost to protect American citizens. The original Constitution was the Bill of Rights and ammendments have been added since then such as the Federal Income Tax ammendent. I'm sorry but your statement was absurd and a bit ignorant of the facts. Now if you made a statement like we need to revamp our criminal law or throw out our current tax law and start over then that would make more sense under the American system of government. But suggest throwing out the Constitution to a lawyer or someone involved in government and they will likely attempt to dis-bar you (if you were a lawyer) or at the very least find a nice padded room for you to take an extended stay in.
    See, now THAT's what free speech is all about. Spam on the other hand has nothing to do with free speech. It's equivalent to some hippies breaking into your home, waving their signs around and protesting the latest thing right infront of you. Although I guess if that happened, the right to bare arms would come in handy, since you could just shoot them and be done with it.
    "I am probably the laziest programmer on the planet, a fact with which anyone who has ever seen my code will agree." - esbo, 11/15/2008

    "the internet is a scary place to be thats why i dont use it much." - billet, 03/17/2010

  12. #27
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Actually, that's just a violation of your personal property. The German term is "Hausfriedensbruch" (literally "breaking of the house peace"), but I don't know the English term. Succinctly, that's the law that says you can forbid someone to enter any place you own or have leased; in fact, unless you give your permission, nobody may enter.
    Interestingly enough, this very law was used to persecute crackers before the law caught up with the technology.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  13. #28
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Ah yes, but back to my question Can the spammer be charged for fraud or some other crime instead? I do not think it would be considered double jeopardy since it would be a different crime that he would be charged with.
    double jeapordy also prevents you beign charged with a lesser crime relating to the actions that brought the first charge. So if you put someone in a coma and get off on attempted murder, you cant then be charged with simple assault, but if they die you CAN then be charged with murder. This is why most DA's usually bring a half dozen similar charges at the same time. So the hypothetical defendant above woudl be charged with assault, assault with a deadly weapon, assault with intent to kill, recless endangerment and probably a few others.. Then if the victim died, manslaughter and murder.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,129
    >or at the very least find a nice padded room for you to take an extended stay in.

    of course, this is just a joke, since the US constitution defends your right to disagree with the government, including the constitution.

  15. #30
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,475
    In any case, I find that a good old fashioned beating is still the best way to handle spammers. Nothing too much, just some muscle employed in the service of a mild traumatic experience and mom's old adage "that will teach you next time".

    We even know the face of the man.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Changing errno - legal?
    By EVOEx in forum C Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM
  2. What is legal and what is illegal?
    By dlwlsdn in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
  3. A strange function definition! is it legal???
    By Antigloss in forum C Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 02:59 AM
  4. Is This Legal C++? [CRTP]
    By Dante Shamest in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 01:23 PM
  5. is this legal?
    By Shadow12345 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2002, 12:44 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21