Gearing up for Firefox 3

This is a discussion on Gearing up for Firefox 3 within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; The world's most widely used browser is going to launch its next version on June 17th. Firefox sure is going ...

  1. #1
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    500

    Gearing up for Firefox 3

    The world's most widely used browser is going to launch its next version on June 17th.
    Firefox sure is going to beat its previous download record with already 1 million pledges on
    its site.
    So gear up for the next level of surfing the net.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
    - Albert Einstein.


    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    - Herbert Mayer

  2. #2
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,662
    No worries there, I'm already running FF3, ever since beta 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  3. #3
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    No worries there, I'm already running FF3, ever since beta 4.
    Ditto.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  4. #4
    Technical Lead QuantumPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmithx View Post
    1 million pledges.
    Pledges? Is Firefox turning into a fraternity? Is there a prize for promising to download FF3?

    QuantumPete
    "No-one else has reported this problem, you're either crazy or a liar" - Dogbert Technical Support
    "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" - The IT Crowd

  5. #5
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumPete View Post
    Pledges? Is Firefox turning into a fraternity? Is there a prize for promising to download FF3?

    QuantumPete
    lol
    See Maxorator's signature for more info .
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
    - Albert Einstein.


    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    - Herbert Mayer

  6. #6
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,487
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmithx View Post
    The world's most widely used browser
    Not really, no.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  7. #7
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,636
    I'd say that half of these pledges are really just "pledges" made by people checking out the browser.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  8. #8
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Don't use FF so it doesn't mean a thing

    The internet won't change, only the browser does. Nothing 'next level' about that.

  9. #9
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    Tomorrow is the big day.

    The internet won't change, only the browser does. Nothing 'next level' about that.
    But browser changes sure are nice every once in awhile. I loath IE7 because of its UI. Whoever designed the user interface for IE7 needs to be fired.
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  10. #10
    the hat of redundancy hat nvoigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    3,139
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmithx View Post
    The world's most widely used browser is going to launch its next version on June 17th.
    IE8 is coming tomorrow? Oh, ........, everybody DUCK AND COVER!

    Seriously, I like FF, but it's just a browser, it doesn't save whales or something. I have to use IE7 at work and it's just as good. It renders a page. Period.

    Edit: And how much of a user interface does a browser need ? A "Back" button, a textbox for your favorite search engine. Tabs are nice sugar coating but you could as well just open new windows instead of tabs. An address bar. Maybe reload. Maybe cancel. That's it.
    hth
    -nv

    She was so Blonde, she spent 20 minutes looking at the orange juice can because it said "Concentrate."

    When in doubt, read the FAQ.
    Then ask a smart question.

  11. #11
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Opera > FF now and forever!

    Damn FF Fanbois.

  12. #12
    The Right Honourable psychopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where circles begin.
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    Opera > FF now and forever!

    Damn FF Fanbois.
    Agreed. Although I'm fine with any browser, I find to Opera to be faster than FF.
    Memorial University of Newfoundland
    Computer Science

    Mac and OpenGL evangelist.

  13. #13
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    how much of a user interface does a browser need ?
    It's not a factor of "how much" but more a factor of "how well designed" and "how usable".

    Take a look at the following UIs of various web browsers:

    Name:  all_browsers.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  137.7 KB

    As you can see, out of 5 web browsers (IE6, IE7, Firefox 2, Opera 9.5, and Safari 3), four of them use the interface of having a menu at the top and all the buttons (back, forward, refresh, stop, and home) in one place (all in the top left).

    IE7 takes the approach of deviating and puts buttons in 4 different locations. One of those sets of buttons includes the obscure file menu which is easy to find in all 4 other web browsers, but difficult to find in IE7.

    Simple fact: IE7 was extremely poorly designed. I don't care how well it might render web pages. My user experience with the browser was terrible, and the UI designer should be fired.
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  14. #14
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Not really, no.
    Not today, but soon

    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    Don't use FF so it doesn't mean a thing
    The internet won't change, only the browser does. Nothing 'next level' about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by nvoigt View Post
    Seriously, I like FF, but it's just a browser, it doesn't save whales or something. I have to use IE7 at work and it's just as good. It renders a page. Period.

    Edit: And how much of a user interface does a browser need ? A "Back" button, a textbox for your favorite search engine. Tabs are nice sugar coating but you could as well just open new windows instead of tabs. An address bar. Maybe reload. Maybe cancel. That's it.
    Oh, but the internet will change when IE8 lands. Hopefully anyway.
    What we get is more standards compliant web pages!
    And while the Internet may not change - our perspective of it will change with FF3.

    And you'd be surprised with how much a web browser can do or must do.
    Render pages, store your history and all that.
    But rendering a page correctly, pretty and as it should be isn't easy. FF3 is making it all the more better.

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
    But browser changes sure are nice every once in awhile. I loath IE7 because of its UI. Whoever designed the user interface for IE7 needs to be fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos View Post
    Opera > FF now and forever!
    Damn FF Fanbois.
    Not that I have anything against it, but FF3 is now taking the lead in functionality and all. At least from what I've read.

    Quote Originally Posted by psychopath View Post
    Agreed. Although I'm fine with any browser, I find to Opera to be faster than FF.
    A fact that has now been disproved. FF3 is faster than Opera.

    And for the curious. Here is a link - guide to FF3 which contains a lot of the improvements to the browser. It should show us how much work has been put into FF3 and what benefits we reap.
    http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/06/12/655/
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  15. #15
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    But rendering a page correctly, pretty and as it should be isn't easy.
    Depends on what you mean. For me or you? Yes, it won't be easy, just like it won't be easy to write a complex parser and rendering engine. For them, the browser makers? It's pretty darn easy considering they already built the foundations. They just need to adhere to the standards which have been unchanged for so many years. I can only tag as total irresponsibility the fact a browser still comes out these days without FULL standards compliance.

    And that goes or ALL browsers. Amaya included.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21