Gearing up for Firefox 3

This is a discussion on Gearing up for Firefox 3 within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Actually, I was wondering if their servers would not be able to cope with the load, and they finally manage ...

  1. #61
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,914
    Actually, I was wondering if their servers would not be able to cope with the load, and they finally manage to fix the problem only after the download day is over. That would be funny... but it looks like it's not happening.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  2. #62
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,781
    Although, apparently to stories on the web, it was overloaded with the mass of traffic.
    Yet, I still don't see FF3 on the main download page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  3. #63
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Why?
    Because it is a sucky and overrated browser? Or because I'm tired of the fanboism? Or because I just like seeing groups spend a lot of effort to market their product and then fail to deliver.

  4. #64
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos View Post
    Because it is a sucky and overrated browser? Or because I'm tired of the fanboism? Or because I just like seeing groups spend a lot of effort to market their product and then fail to deliver.
    It's not sucky.
    It's not overrated.
    It's not promise and underdeliver.
    And any product has its fanboys/fangirls. No getting around that.

    Do tell, why is FF so bad, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  5. #65
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,914
    Or because I'm tired of the fanboism?
    I am tired of the Opera fanboism... and the Firefox fanboism, and the emacs fanboism, and the vi fanboism... and the list goes on. We need more fangirls

    Or because I just like seeing groups spend a lot of effort to market their product and then fail to deliver.
    Arguably, they have failed to deliver on time. Mozilla announced that it would be available on 17 June, but only released it on the following day, at least in several parts of the world
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  6. #66
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    It's not sucky.
    It's not overrated.
    It's not promise and underdeliver.
    Only in your opinion, which to be honest I don't place a high value on.

    Do tell, why is FF so bad, then?
    For starters: no wand!


    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    I am tired of the Opera fanboism... and the Firefox fanboism, and the emacs fanboism, and the vi fanboism... and the list goes on. We need more fangirls
    /agreed
    If FF could deliver them I'd gladly switch

    Arguably, they have failed to deliver on time. Mozilla announced that it would be available on 17 June, but only released it on the following day, at least in several parts of the world
    Ohhh good point. Still hoping for a crushing defeat.

  7. #67
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,510
    FF is not bad. The people that make it the 2nd coming of christ, are. As are the people who think of it as the color purple in a field.

    Bunch of marketing puppets who have nothing better to do than pledge their dull lives and brains to a software that just renders webpages... Get something better to do!
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #68
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos View Post
    Only in your opinion, which to be honest I don't place a high value on.
    And millions of others, obviously. So logic would dictate it's a good browser and but you find it to be a bad browser, in your opinion.

    For starters: no wand!
    Huh? Wand?
    Does that make a browser so bad?
    I find that a weak argument. If there's something lacking, surely there's an extension to fix that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  9. #69
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    And millions of others, obviously.
    Is it that obvious? Why?
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  10. #70
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,781
    Due to Firefox's market share and "fanboyism" and hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  11. #71
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    And millions of others, obviously. So logic would dictate it's a good browser and but you find it to be a bad browser, in your opinion.
    Millions of people use (and like) IE6, does that make it a good browser?


    Huh? Wand?
    Does that make a browser so bad?
    I find that a weak argument. If there's something lacking, surely there's an extension to fix that.
    Sorry but the extension excuse is just lame IMO. Core functionality should be part of the core product. The wand is such a handy tool that I simply can not surf as well without it.

  12. #72
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Thantos View Post
    Millions of people use (and like) IE6, does that make it a good browser?
    This would in turn bring up another question - seeing as Firefox is the challenger, doesn't that mean that it must bring quality that Internet Explorer does not?
    I would believe that most use IE6 simply has the mainstream base because of casual users who don't know about FF or simply just surf the web a little then and then and don't really put themselves in depth about such matters.
    You know, the casual user.

    Sorry but the extension excuse is just lame IMO. Core functionality should be part of the core product. The wand is such a handy tool that I simply can not surf as well without it.
    I don't buy it. If 1% likes a tool, does that mean it must be made into the browser?
    And with that, add to the bloat that some (at least one in this thread) has complained about?
    I surf very well every day without that, so it seems to me it isn't required and could well be an extension for those who want it.

    The power of the browser is extensions - to add functionality YOU want. I suggest you try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  13. #73
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    501
    Just downloaded it.
    GUI has changed a little bit.
    As for performance we'll have to wait and see(hopefully good ).

    Sorry but the extension excuse is just lame IMO. Core functionality should be part of the core product. The wand is such a handy tool that I simply can not surf as well without it.
    Alright Opera is also an good browser,agreed.
    But each have their own pros and cons.
    (McAfee SiteAdvisor is not written for Opera only for FF & IE).
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
    - Albert Einstein.


    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    - Herbert Mayer

  14. #74
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Bunch of marketing puppets who have nothing better to do than pledge their dull lives and brains to a software that just renders webpages... Get something better to do!
    And PC is just a machine that does some calculations. And houses are just some buildings where people can sit in. And cars are only some boxes on wheels. And Eurasia is just a piece of land where we can stand.

    And then you say I'm the guy who takes things too simplified?
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  15. #75
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,510
    You are the one taking the analogy that far. Enjoy yourself in your logic, whatever it is
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21