View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized in the US?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 37.50%
  • No

    15 62.50%

Should it be legalized - Part Deux

This is a discussion on Should it be legalized - Part Deux within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Not drugs, but rather the so-called oldest profession - prostitution. I'm speaking mainly of the US because I'm ignorant of ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    890

    Should it be legalized - Part Deux

    Not drugs, but rather the so-called oldest profession - prostitution. I'm speaking mainly of the US because I'm ignorant of laws in other countries.

    I say yes. It's a business transaction between two consenting adults. I don't see how this is different from going to a bar, picking up someone, and then sleeping with them the same night. Maybe the bars are against legalizing it since it would cut out the middleman.

    And of course, you have the benefits of eliminating the black market - safer work environment, freeing up of law enforcement to worry about real crimes, etc.

    Like drugs, the legalization of this wouldn't lead to my participation, but the government shouldn't criminalize it, in my opinion.

  2. #2
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,172
    I'm somewhat torn on the issue, myself. Who's to stop someone from doing something they like? It doesn't have any negative effects on the body (mostly anyway).
    The only problem is that a lot do it because they are forced to and which is probably why it's banned in most countries.
    I would like to say - yes, it should be allowed. If you want to do it, you're free to do it (but you shouldn't have to do it because you're forced to).
    And I'm not for legalizing it just because to reduce the black market, but rather because it's to give more freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.
    For information on how to enable C++11 on your compiler, look here.
    よく聞くがいい!私は天才だからね! ^_^

  3. #3
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,892
    but you shouldn't have to do it because you're forced to
    That's sexual abuse whether it's prostitution or not.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    890
    Of course people should not be forced into any kind of relationship. Preventing that is a legitimate role of government.

  5. #5
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,526
    The "transaction between consenting adults" point of view seems to be an oversimplification. In my opinion, legalizing prostitution is out of the question since some pimps basically enslave women (and children) to a life of sexual acts or sexual promiscuity; at least, I think human trafficking is a bigger problem than we might realize. Law enforcement can usually only help when they bust brothels and that sort of thing, like what happened when the FBI arrested these people here. I cannot approve legalizing an activity that makes eliminating human trafficking from the free world a near impossible task.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    The "transaction between consenting adults" point of view seems to be an oversimplification. In my opinion, legalizing prostitution is out of the question since some pimps basically enslave women (and children) to a life of sexual acts or sexual promiscuity;
    But why does the pimp/prostitute relationship exist? Because they need the pimps to enforce payment for them. They can't simply call the cops when a john walks out without paying. They also can't call the cops when they're abused or enslaved.

    It's an underground business run by thugs. Eliminate the underground.
    Last edited by medievalelks; 06-06-2008 at 06:40 AM.

  7. #7
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,062
    Walk around Las Vegas for a few hours... sit at the bars, try to have a good time, and relax with your friends without interuption and then tell me you would like prostitution legalized. Prostitution, generally, brings crime and drugs along with it (in the same manner as gambling) as it tends to attract "the wrong crowd." Legalizing is too unrestrictive... I would perhaps say it would be more appropriate for police to turn a blind-eye to some forms of prostitution such as that done in a closed, fixed location such as, for lack of a better term, a "prostitution house." I would rather not see it on the streets of my city, though.

    That's just my two cents.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 06-06-2008 at 06:46 AM.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  8. #8
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    No. No, No NoNoNoNo
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  9. #9
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,172
    Quote Originally Posted by CornedBee View Post
    That's sexual abuse whether it's prostitution or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    The "transaction between consenting adults" point of view seems to be an oversimplification. In my opinion, legalizing prostitution is out of the question since some pimps basically enslave women (and children) to a life of sexual acts or sexual promiscuity; at least, I think human trafficking is a bigger problem than we might realize. Law enforcement can usually only help when they bust brothels and that sort of thing, like what happened when the FBI arrested these people here. I cannot approve legalizing an activity that makes eliminating human trafficking from the free world a near impossible task.
    These two are sexual abuse, but unrelated to prostitution.
    If someone wants to prostitute out of will, then they be allowed to do so. The law should protect against those who would take advantage of that.
    I see that the will to do it should be allowed. But abuse and other things should not be allowed, but they aren't part of the prostitution topic.

    The black market and all that is sad, but I'd allow it simply for the sake to allow the freedom to do it. It's a natural thing to do it, so there should be no reason to disallow it.
    Crime, though, should be punished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.
    For information on how to enable C++11 on your compiler, look here.
    よく聞くがいい!私は天才だからね! ^_^

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    Walk around Las Vegas for a few hours... sit at the bars, try to have a good time, and relax with your friends without interuption and then tell me you would like prostitution legalized. Prostitution, generally, brings crime and drugs along with it (in the same manner as gambling) as it tends to attract "the wrong crowd.".
    So, the rest of us will magically become part of the "wrong crowd" just because something is legal? You're seeing a heavy concentration of the "wrong crowd" in one of the few places these things are legal.

    And cities and townships can regulate where it is allowed, as they do with other businesses. That's why you don't see street vendors of all types on every street corner. Why would prostitution be different?

  11. #11
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,062
    To add to my last point about enclosed prostitution vs street prostitution:

    Legalized street prostitution tends to promote incidents of statutory rape. As you would imagine, if it were allowed that anyone willing to give their body for money by putting themselves out on the street, you would certainly attract a certain group of desperate people looking for money that will not be checking the IDs of their customers. Now you have a 28 year old prostitute sleeping with a 14 year old kid. That, consentual or not, is illegal in the US.

    In a regulated environment, they don't have to let you in the door without checking IDs.

    That's two more cents for you all.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    T Now you have a 28 year old prostitute sleeping with a 14 year old kid. That, consentual or not, is illegal in the US..
    Of course. What part of "consenting ADULTS" do you not understand? Strawman arguments are not going to sway my opinion.

  13. #13
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalelks View Post
    So, the rest of us will magically become part of the "wrong crowd" just because something is legal? You're seeing a heavy concentration of the "wrong crowd" in one of the few places these things are legal.

    And cities and townships can regulate where it is allowed, as they do with other businesses. That's why you don't see street vendors of all types on every street corner. Why would prostitution be different?
    You're comparing a street vendor to a prostitute? What are they? Entrepreneurs? You think they're going to go to city hall and get their prostitute licence? Check the zoning laws?

    Prostitutes are victims of desperation in society... dispite what they may tell you, they don't all love having intercourse with every person willing to give them money for it. They put themselves at risk of disease, rape, robbery, and pregnancy because they need the money to support themselves better than what they feel a normal job can offer them.

    ...and for every guy who goes to a prostitute thinking his the toast of the town and treats all his girls with respect, there are five that just want to get a quickie with a girl they would normally never have a chance with. They are with no respect for the girl and are capable of providing her with all of the risks listed above. So please... don't compare these girls (or guys) to hotdog vendors.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  14. #14
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalelks View Post
    Of course. What part of "consenting ADULTS" do you not understand? Strawman arguments are not going to sway my opinion.
    Yeah great... that's like saying "Let's leave the doors to our stores open at night and hope noone steals anything." I'm sure the prostitutes and customers are really going to make sure they're both "consenting ADULTS" because the law says so. Do you really want to open up a whole new division of law enforcement that makes sure all prostitution transactions are between consenting adults and pay for it with taxes?

    ...and please, while you're pondering that... look up Straw-Man argument. There is nothing fallacious about considering the potential results of an action. ...and also, look up the dozen or so European cities that have legalized prostitution in the last 10 or so years and look at what it did to their crime rates. Just cause I use Las Vegas as an example, doesn't mean it's the only example.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 06-06-2008 at 07:08 AM.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  15. #15
    Technical Lead QuantumPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    894
    I'd vote yes, but only because I don't live in the US, so I don't care

    QuantumPete
    "No-one else has reported this problem, you're either crazy or a liar" - Dogbert Technical Support
    "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" - The IT Crowd

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. How to get a part of a string from a point onwards
    By pseudonoma in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 04:09 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 04:28 AM
  3. Can someone look over my code? part 2
    By brooklyn in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 06:33 AM
  4. Suspicious Pointer Conversion
    By mr_spanky202 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 12:35 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21