View Poll Results: Should Marijuana be legalized in the U.S.?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 67.65%
  • No

    11 32.35%

Should it be legalized?

This is a discussion on Should it be legalized? within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom Generally, in a debate, if your opposition doesn't have any evidence to support their claims, the ...

  1. #136
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,823
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    Generally, in a debate, if your opposition doesn't have any evidence to support their claims, the only thing you have to accept is victory.
    However, if they ask me to clarify, I can still enlighten them on my opinions or logic on the matter without claiming victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  2. #137
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    So you claim. My real world sources claim otherwise.
    Heck, my logical thinking makes it easy to claim a good grade in classes, school and whatnot.
    But arguing is useless...
    Then state your sources. You have stated that you have no facts because you cant be bothered to find any, ergo your statements are based entirely on opinion. You are completely unable to show supporting facts for any of your assertions, and yet you are confused as to why people will not simply accept your opinions as fact. I submit for your consideration that it probably has something to do with your complete lack of facts.
    Last edited by abachler; 06-04-2008 at 02:01 PM.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  3. #138
    & the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    If someone wants confirmation, I will do my best to respond to that (of course, they will know that I have no evidence and accept will have to accept that).
    If none wants to question anything, I'll leave it alone.
    Please don't consider my post a kind/polite request for it is not.

  4. #139
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    However, if they ask me to clarify, I can still enlighten them on my opinions or logic on the matter without claiming victory.
    Who cares about your opinions? In a debate they have absolutely zero value. Please... don't get offended, take this as advice. If you're in an arguement or debate... the opposition doesn't give two lumps of you know what about your opinions.

    Logic on the other hand is good... but you've yet to provide any such logic that hasn't been rebutted with other logic and facts to back it up. The truth is... I am sure there are people with the same view points as you that could completely own every single contibuter to this thread that supports the legality of marijuana. We really aren't top-notch debaters here. The fact is, though, that person is not here with us... so it's just you and a few others who are currently on the losing side of the argument. If you really want to prove something... take your time... do some research... and come back to us when you have that evidence you claim you don't need.
    Sent from my iPad®

  5. #140
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,514
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    The truth is... I am sure there are people with the same view points as you that could completely own every single contibuter to this thread that supports the legality of marijuana.
    Ah! I'll do an elysia on them and they'll just go away.

    Anyways. It's useless. Marijuana is already legal in some countries, and will be too in America one day once they make it illegal for mothers to congregate and get political.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  6. #141
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    Cannabis is bad for you, yes. But so are tons of other things, that everybody does.
    Even if it makes your brain shrivel up and then explode, restricting the use of it is actually an invasion of our freedoms. (we are talking America here)
    I would never take it, but that's just me.
    With people thinking like you Elysia, we would loose all the freedoms we have left and would become socialist zombies. Simply for our "security".
    If it posed a threat to bystanders, then you would have a case. But you don't.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  7. #142
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Cannabis is bad for you, yes.
    Baseless statement that has already been disproven.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  8. #143
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Baseless statement that has already been disproven.
    Well, I wouldn't say anyone has disproven that... certainly we've shown that marijuana is not nearly as bad for you as other things like alcohol and tobacco, but no one here is saying that you're better off not smoking marijuana than smoking it regularly.
    Sent from my iPad®

  9. #144
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    I won't claim that it is entirely good for you, only that the statement 'It is bad for you' is incorrect since it implies unmitigated harmful status under all circumstances, which I believe we have proven to be false.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  10. #145
    verbose cat
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    209
    I can't help but think Elysia is just playing devil's advocate. I think she really is in favor of legalizing marijuana and is throwing out those ridiculous statements with no substance so that everyone else does the work of supporting her position for her...

    It is simply human nature to do things that we enjoy.

    Alcohol is something that we enjoy, and governments tried to take that away from those people they supposedly serve. The result was that people indulged anyway, they just had to hide it. Not only that, but people made their own alcohol in bathtubs and closet stills. Where's the quality control in that?

    Marijuana isn't as bad for you as alcohol as far as drugs go;

    The big marijuana growers wouldn't have to resort to crime to smuggle their product around (among other things), and so the prices would come down and allow taxes to move in... net effect the price could remain roughly the same for the end user;

    Small-time growers who only grow for personal use or for just a few friends could pay for "small-time licenses" where the big growers who make their living from it would pay for "big-time licenses" (money well spent when you consider you won't go to jail for just growing a plant!);

    The government could collect a lot of money in taxes and licenses (for growing and distributing) which could be used for drug education and rehab (idealist, hah!);

    The government would be able to control it much more intimately since they would set all the standards;

    The focus would shift from "Marijuana is bad!" to "obey the law!" (other drugs notwithstanding);

    A large community of people would no longer fear being arrested and having their lives ruined just for trying to enjoy themselves;

    The laws around it could shift from punishing the drug use to punishing actual rule breakers, i.e. people who don't have a license and grow/sell it;

    And in the end, smoking pot isn't much different from taking aspirin when you have a headache, or drinking coffee to wake you up in the morning, or drinking beer to relax. The only difference is in the perception of the drug. Alcohol puts you in a worse state than pot, so degree isn't even an issue here.

    Of course there would be problems with abuse, people driving under the influence, etc, but we already have those problems. I don't believe this would significantly change the percentages of people doing those things.

    And the most compelling reason to me to legalize it would be to see a company like Johnson & Johnson, who has extensive knowledge of the human body and how various substances interact with it, begin selling pot products to a new market! With the stigma of marijuana, I don't think Johnson & Johnson would ever get involved directly. But much like Disney created the subdivision of Touchstone Pictures so they could release less "Disney-like" movies without hurting the Disney brand, the big drug companies could create smaller sub-divisions to market "Marijuana-O's brand breakfast cereal"!

    Or hell, the cigarette companies are already reviled, they could just sell "Spliff Kings" right next to Marlboros and Newports.
    abachler: "A great programmer never stops optimizing a piece of code until it consists of nothing but preprocessor directives and comments "

  11. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Four Dots Planet
    Posts
    72
    What difference does this poll make?
    I voted Yes!

    Edit: And I am with the majority! Great!!

  12. #147
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by jEssYcAt View Post
    Or hell, the cigarette companies are already reviled, they could just sell "Spliff Kings" right next to Marlboros and Newports.
    Marlboro Greens, unfiltered please Well thought our post btw.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  13. #148
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by (::) View Post
    What difference does this poll make?
    Showing the strength of public opinion?

  14. #149
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Well, for one it shows that the posters on Cboard are statistically similar to the general population at least on this issue.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  15. #150
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,992
    Well, for one it shows that the posters on Cboard are statistically similar to the general population at least on this issue.
    Yay! We're normal!
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Should it be legalized - Part Deux
    By medievalelks in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 06:17 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21