Clearing FAQ Board

This is a discussion on Clearing FAQ Board within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; I have been browsing FAQ board and found this thread http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=3700 Which shows a sample with void main iostream.h and ...

  1. #1
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,474

    Clearing FAQ Board

    I have been browsing FAQ board and found this thread
    FAQ: file i/o (C++)

    Which shows a sample with
    void main
    iostream.h
    and C-strings instead of C++strings

    Maybe it is time to remove some threads like this from the FAQ-board or fix sample advertised to be complient with the current C++ standard?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  2. #2
    Deathray Engineer MacGyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,211
    I vote they make you the mod to do it.

    lol...

  3. #3
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,068
    Hey... a good FAQ archive doesn't necessarily mean good answers. Just look at GameFAQs.
    Sent from my iPad®

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,474
    they make you the mod
    initiative is punishable (c) lol
    Last edited by vart; 05-02-2008 at 02:38 PM.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,474
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    Hey... a good FAQ archive doesn't necessarily mean good answers.
    This makes me wonder - what is your definition of good FAQ, if it is not the FAQ collecting good answers
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  6. #6
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    This makes me wonder - what is your definition of good FAQ, if it is not the FAQ collecting good answers
    It's all about asking the right questions.
    Sent from my iPad®

  7. #7
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,474
    It's all about asking the right questions.
    Frequently Asked Questions are asked by beginners... and therefore not so good.

    It does not mean you shouldn't get some good answers for them (after answering same thing several hundred times you'll be somewhat expected to polish your answer to the brilliance )
    Last edited by vart; 05-03-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  8. #8
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,638
    I guess, but maybe burying the bad threads would be as effective as removing them. People are lazy. I'm surprised people read the FAQ board, or the one on the website.

  9. #9
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    I guess, but maybe burying the bad threads would be as effective as removing them. People are lazy. I'm surprised people read the FAQ board, or the one on the website.
    The only ones that read the FAQ boards are the ones that are knowledgable enough to identify errors when they see them.
    Sent from my iPad®

  10. #10
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,474
    I remember someone was posting question about failing to compile sample from FAQ - now I'm not suprised...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    890
    FAQs should have accurate answers. Otherwise, what's the point of providing the wrong answer "frequently"? Kind of defeats the purpose.

    Would you read a financial advice book that told you to charge a bunch of things you can't afford and quit your job?

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    678
    vart should be definitely made into a moderator, he has shown much concern about the board, by pointing the above problem, and will prove to be a well wishing moderator

  13. #13
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,412
    You don't necessarily need to be made into a moderator in order to edit some forum posts. This is so with most bulletin board software, and vB is probably the same.

    The FAQ could indeed benefit from a cleanup, particularly because I suspect some posts where added back then simply to "fill space" in a time where the current version of the forums was first starting.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  14. #14
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,638
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalelks View Post
    Would you read a financial advice book that told you to charge a bunch of things you can't afford and quit your job?
    You can't unread it.

    *shows empty pockets*

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Constructor problem
    By rebel in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 05:45 AM
  2. FAQ Board
    By Noobie in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 08:18 AM
  3. Isn't the C Board a cool name?
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 12:09 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21