No newbies can PM other members!

This is a discussion on No newbies can PM other members! within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; It seems a little redundant to prevent new members from sending private messages to other new members, unless I guess ...

  1. #61
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,046
    It seems a little redundant to prevent new members from sending private messages to other new members, unless I guess a lot of people were just using CBoard as another form of email (you know, sign up here and you get 10,000 messages!).

    I don't think I've ever gotten a spam private message.
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,317
    >> I don't think I've ever gotten a spam private message.
    Perhaps because of that rule?

    I have received spam PMs on other boards.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    678
    well ... so those who do not reply my PM (just to say a polite no) value their time a lot!
    sorry ... but i have to disagree!
    in the same time i notice them posting the same old stuff (that they might have done hundreds of time) like:
    indent! indent!
    conio.h is poisonous!!
    you post your attempt!!!
    we don't do homeworks!!!!
    etc. etc.

    that is why, when they do not reply, i consider them "arrogant" & "rude"

  4. #64
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,717
    Quote Originally Posted by manav
    that is why, when they do not reply, i consider them "arrogant" & "rude"
    Here's a message you sent to me last week:
    Quote Originally Posted by manav
    Hi laser!
    Were you (just a while ago) looking at my profile?
    I did not see the point of replying since it was obvious that I was looking at your profile at some point, and that you looked at my profile. You may need to use better conversational starters if you want to have a conversation with me... or just use the forum and have a public conversation like we all do.

    EDIT:
    Oh, and speaking of "arrogant and rude", I felt that your question was confrontational, like "why are you looking at my profile?"
    Last edited by laserlight; 04-16-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Here's a message you sent to me last week:


    I did not see the point of replying since it was obvious that I was looking at your profile at some point, and that you looked at my profile. You may need to use better conversational starters if you want to have a conversation with me... or just use the forum and have a public conversation like we all do.
    you know i was just curious, and in all the sense of the word, plain curious, i was talking about how to know if somebody's has seen/is seeing your profile etc. and i noticed you were looking at a profile page, it was just a guess of mine (100% unsure), that, you might be looking at my profile, just a guess, i PMed you to check my assumption, and your reply in Yes would not be more good than your reply in No would be bad.

    i mean it would not hurt either way, but, just a confirm of gut feeling! which would work for me if you just sent a plain reply saying either:
    "yes"
    OR
    "no"

    now ... i am sorry, but this is just plain rude behavior, i guess

  6. #66
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by manav View Post
    well ... so those who do not reply my PM (just to say a polite no) value their time a lot!
    sorry ... but i have to disagree!
    in the same time i notice them posting the same old stuff (that they might have done hundreds of time) like:
    indent! indent!
    conio.h is poisonous!!
    you post your attempt!!!
    we don't do homeworks!!!!
    etc. etc.

    that is why, when they do not reply, i consider them "arrogant" & "rude"
    the time spent on message like
    indent! indent!
    conio.h is poisonous!!
    you post your attempt!!!
    we don't do homeworks!!!!
    is time spent a lot better than time spent on message
    "no I do not chat" - that nobody benefits from it

    So I think It makes your rude to a lot of novices that could learn something (but they haven't) from the message that they miss to receive due to your insistence to be answered to any of your PMs

    You feel you value more than any other member here?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    the time spent on message like
    indent! indent!
    conio.h is poisonous!!
    you post your attempt!!!
    we don't do homeworks!!!!
    is time spent a lot better than time spent on message
    "no I do not chat" - that nobody benefits from it

    So I think It makes your rude to a lot of novices that could learn something (but they haven't) from the message that they miss to receive due to your insistence to be answered to any of your PMs

    You feel you value more than any other member here?
    but hey! you can clearly feel the annoyance and frustrations of members while posting such messages to newbies! right? they get disturbed, annoyed, angry!! but still reply! now if my PM also annoyed them, then, just send me a reply, saying so!

    sorry, i may not remember, but, did i also PM you?

    no i do not feel anybody should value me more (i do not even want to be valued at all)! but general human nature suggests that (actually general animal nature also suggests this), that you normally respond to others actions on you. i annoyed you? abuse me! i made you angry? kick me! i disturbed you? warn me!

  8. #68
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    actually general animal nature
    I thought we are humans here? And have overrun the primary animal reactions to the environment... But If you like to be kicked in the ass:

    Yes, I feel very stupid now that I have answered your PM ealier, because I have learned how rude you are.

    You do not even remeber I have answered you... That adds another point of rudeness to your behavior here.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    I thought we are humans here? And have overrun the primary animal reactions to the environment... But If you like to be kicked in the ass:
    of course i said that this is human nature to react, also, i mentioned that it is so natural, that, even animals do it!

    Yes, I feel very stupid now that I have answered your PM ealier, because I have learned how rude you are.

    You do not even remeber I have answered you... That adds another point of rudeness to your behavior here.
    please do not feel bad that i forgot if i PMed you or not, i have more than 50 sent PMs in my BOX, so it's quite natural that i may forget, actually if it helps any better, then, let me tell you, that i chat with a person on this board, and usually i have to ask something again, which i had already asked before, do not feel bad, i am a little absent minded, at times!

  10. #70
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    This has got way out of hand. Too many veiled and not-so-veiled insults, no productivity. Learn to accept that other people have different views of what's rude and what's not, and remember: never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity or laziness.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. i want to send PM to forum members?
    By manav in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 01:44 PM
  2. Can't figure out why?
    By kwigibo in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2001, 10:58 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21