No newbies can PM other members!

This is a discussion on No newbies can PM other members! within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; PING: i sent them PMs. asking for their field of interest. and asking for, if possible, having a chat!...

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    678
    PING: i sent them PMs. asking for their field of interest. and asking for, if possible, having a chat!

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    515
    PING: i sent them PMs. asking for their field of interest. and asking for, if possible, having a chat!
    Most of the people who visit this forum are either working or studying and pretty busy. As pointed out by everyone else, this board is not for socializing. Using the int4rw3b for socializing is pretty weird. You might want to see this wonderful comic to understand what i mean

    Emoticon
    Code:
    >+++++++++[<++++++++>-]<.>+++++++[<++++>-]<+.+++++++..+++.[-]>++++++++[<++++>-] <.>+++++++++++[<++++++++>-]<-.--------.+++.------.--------.[-]>++++++++[<++++>- ]<+.[-]++++++++++.

  3. #33
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,438
    Quote Originally Posted by manav View Post
    PING: i sent them PMs. asking for their field of interest. and asking for, if possible, having a chat!
    You can't expect people to answer your PMs and especially to "chat". It's standard practice to not answer PMs when one doesn't feel interested in the subject. For reasons I don't feel like getting into, you must expect this behavior and accept it as normal, definitely its not rude.

    In fact, I'll let you munch on the following; It's rude to ask people you don't know to chat in a PM. And it's even more rude to call them rude when they don't reply.

    That was entirely not what I was talking about. I complain about the open attitude of some regulars.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  4. #34
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,545
    Though I suppose you can politely ask if someone wants to chat with you if you want to get to know them. If it's a polite request, and the requested chat partner does not respond, then I would call it rude. A simple "no" may be enough.
    If the request is rude in itself, however, I wouldn't consider it an unknown possibility of a rude reply, either in text form or in the form of no reply at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  5. #35
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Though I suppose you can politely ask if someone wants to chat with you if you want to get to know them. If it's a polite request, and the requested chat partner does not respond, then I would call it rude. A simple "no" may be enough.
    If the request is rude in itself, however, I wouldn't consider it an unknown possibility of a rude reply, either in text form or in the form of no reply at all.
    so you determine the rudness of other people behavior based on your own estimation of the politenes of your own post? I say it it very selfish approach. You place yourself in the center of the universe...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  6. #36
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Yah, Mario. I gotta side with the others on this one... it's no different than real life. We all communicate on the same forum... we know each other to an extent. If you went up to someone that you work with and asked them if they'd like to have lunch with you, is that rude? Wouldn't it be rude if they just ignored you?

    Maybe the internet is not as "real" as talking with someone you see regularly in real-life... but they aren't asking for anything more real. They're not asking to meet you or go to a movie, they just would like to chat. I just don't see how it would be considered rude for them to ask...

    Vart: "Rude" is not exactly a relative term... internet or not, generally ignoring someone is considered rude unless warranted by extremely rude behavior on the part of who you're ignoring. I also don't see how expecting a response when you approach someone is placing you in "the center of the universe." I'd say you are considering yourself more in "the center of the universe" if you believe your time is too precious to take a few seconds and say "I really don't have time to talk. Sorry."
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 04-16-2008 at 01:54 PM.
    Sent from my iPad®

  7. #37
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,438
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    Maybe the internet is not as "real" as talking with someone you see regularly in real-life... but they aren't asking for anything more real. They're not asking to meet you or go to a movie, they just would like to chat. I just don't see how it would be considered rude for them to ask...
    I would have to agree with you if it wasn't for the fact for me a PM is sacred ground; one of the last few private areas. It's home. And you wouldn't like it if someone you hardly know invited himself over for tea and cookies.

    Debatable, sure. But it still stands that for those not wanting to look at PMs as yet another chat area, their wishes must be observed. It would be rude of anyone not accepting that, no matter how "polite" the request may be.

    And they are asking for something real Sly. As you could see from this thread, they are even charging. They are asking for your time and willingness to "chat". And they are charging you if you don't answer them. No can do. My PM box is mine. Not anyone else. I can accept I may get stuff in there I didn't ask. And I will not hold anything against someone asking me to chat. But in the same line, I will not like it if my privacy gets abused in such a way that I'm even called rude for "not answering a simple PM".

    EDIT: If you search for chat on google you get 761 million records. That's 380 times more than World Hunger. There's plenty of other choices.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 04-16-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #38
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Vart: "Rude" is not exactly a relative term... internet or not, generally ignoring someone is considered rude unless warranted by extremely rude behavior on the part of who you're ignoring. I also don't see how expecting a response when you approach someone is placing you in "the center of the universe." I'd say you are considering yourself more in "the center of the universe" if you believe your time is too precious to take a few seconds and say "I really don't have time to talk. Sorry."
    __________________
    All Members of this board just ignored my post where I place the picture of my achievments with nice 3333 number of posts. You sugest me to see all members of this board to be rude? I don't think so. They are just not interested... Its their decision.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  9. #39
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    No, no. Don't misunderstand, I am in no way in agreement with Manav and his opinions of CBoard and internet communication in general. However, I couldn't say I'm in complete agreement with your points and I do believe there is a more moderate stance on the issue which I was attempting to take.

    In my personal experiences, people can be more real on the internet than they are in reallife. The value an anonimity allow people to open up more on the internet than they do to people they see in real life and there is less of a reason to hide who you are other than for kicks or other false satisfaction. Do people lie on the internet? Sure... but people lie in real life, too. I find the internet a perfectly reasonable place to communicate and I don't find the PM system nearly as sacred as you seem to... I would agree that if someone were harassing you by PM and spamming it daily, then you have a case... but a simple request for personal communication is in no way a crime. As for Manav... you need to tone it down and respect people's privacy... if they don't want to talk to you than they don't have to... and if they don't want you cluttering their forum with trivial nonsense (that isn't even directly to the general audience), then they are in full right to complain about it.

    That's just my two cents.
    Sent from my iPad®

  10. #40
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Besides that, a thread and a PM are 2 completely different things, a post is just a general question/suggestion/comment/whatever that you are hopping someone has something to say about. A PM however, is a direct message to a person where you're expecting them to say something back.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  11. #41
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    All Members of this board just ignored my post where I place the picture of my achievments with nice 3333 number of posts. You sugest me to see all members of this board to be rude? I don't think so. They are just not interested... Its their decision.
    Yah... ok. Except we're talking about PMs... a form of direct communication with a single person. There is a difference... and not even a subtle one. If I were to walk into a room full of people and say "Hey, everyone... look at how great I am!" I shouldn't expect a response... however, if I went up to someone and asked... well, something significantly less egotistical... I would expect a response.

    Besides that... I would personally consider a post which pats yourself on the back to fall under the category of "extremely rude behavior on the part of who you're ignoring." Which, of course, warrants the lack of response you got on that post.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 04-16-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    Sent from my iPad®

  12. #42
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    OK on the post number 4444 I will politely PM everyone just to count number of rude people here...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  13. #43
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    You don't PM that kind of thing. The PM is for private discussions, not raves or spam!
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  14. #44
    i dont know Vicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,200
    See that's where the line is sort of flakey. If someone PMs me and says I GOT 4444 POSTS LAWL then I most likely would ignore it, unless it was someone I was familiar with on the board. Then the reply would probably be something along the lines of "... k".

    If someone messages me and requests to talk abotu a specific issue I would probably reply and most leklyy express my non-desire to do so. If the topic is not a specific question then not replying doesn't seem rude at all.

    It's jsut one of those things that people take differently. If you feel like chatting with people, I odn't see how sending a request via PM is rude. Equally, a non-reply isn't rude either. I guess I don't see the problem!
    What is C++?

  15. #45
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Actually, it would be you who would be considered rude for doing that.
    EDIT: meant @ vart
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. i want to send PM to forum members?
    By manav in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 01:44 PM
  2. Can't figure out why?
    By kwigibo in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2001, 10:58 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21