Linux vs Windows

This is a discussion on Linux vs Windows within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by Mario F. I don't see how learning a new OS is any different. I don't believe Prelude ...

  1. #16
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    I don't see how learning a new OS is any different.
    I don't believe Prelude was speaking against the idea of learning a new operating system. She was just taking some offense to the OP's direct (almost demanding) opinion that everyone in the forum should "Start using Linux."... and essentially the only reason he gave was "just because..." If you read my original post, you might see that I agree that people who wish to study a cross-platform language (such as the one this forum is based on), should be learning to write it in multiple platforms. However, it does not excuse the OPs inability to produce some decent reasoning to switch to Linux as you had done just a few posts later.

    Anyway... I won't speak for her, this is just what I took from her post.
    Sent from my iPad®

  2. #17
    a_capitalist_story
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,649
    Quote Originally Posted by manav View Post
    Windows Does the job.
    Probably depends a lot on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by manav View Post
    Mac seems to OWE everything.
    What the hell does that mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by manav View Post
    Linux sometimes Sucks because of its hackish origins.
    Again, what does this mean? Windows never sucks then, I assume?

    Personal preferences are just that. I use and like at least some aspects of all of these operating systems. Zealots for any side are just...well, annoying.

  3. #18
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,455
    I think the last quote refers to that to that Linux isn't as compatible as Windows and it's usually more difficult to get things done, such as installing and using on Linux than on Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  4. #19
    Code Goddess Prelude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,796
    >The reason may not be so good and it may be entirely
    >simply because one just wants to experiment new things.
    Wanting to experiment with new things a good reason. However, "because that guy over there told me to" isn't a good reason.
    My best code is written with the delete key.

  5. #20
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I don't think GCC is crap, but it is also a compiler, unlike Visual Studio which is an IDE.
    Last I checked VS compiles as well, which means it is a compiler. What exactly do you mean by its not a compiler?

    As for me, Im sticking with Windows at least until ReactOS hits beta. I will continue to use XP for as long as it is supported, since I already own 2 copies of it, Ill just use ReactOS on my auxillary systems. I wouldn't use vista if they gave it away free. It's just not compatible with my existing applications.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  6. #21
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,455
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Last I checked VS compiles as well, which means it is a compiler. What exactly do you mean by its not a compiler?
    Visual Studio is the IDE and Visual C++ is the compiler if I don't remember incorrectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  7. #22
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
    Wanting to experiment with new things a good reason. However, "because that guy over there told me to" isn't a good reason.
    Yes. After having read Sly's and yours remarks I have to agree. That's not a good reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    I think the last quote refers to that to that Linux isn't as compatible as Windows
    Can you please elaborate... and no! I refuse to agree with the notion things are more difficult to do in Linux. I've heard it on this thread before and now again. I'm as much a linux advocate as I am a Microsoft one. Remember the only reason I moved to Linux is simply because of a very much personal preference to do with the fact I don't want to use Vista. Ever. However, I still look at XP and 2000 as two great operating systems. But... linux more difficult? Heck, it is if you don't want to learn how to use it. C'mon.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 04-03-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #23
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Visual Studio is the IDE and Visual C++ is the compiler if I don't remember incorrectly.
    Ah, I can see your point, but I dont really consider them seperate products, since they are integrated into the same package. They just extended VS to compile more than just C/C++.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  9. #24
    pwns nooblars
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,094
    abachler: You can use the compiler independant of the IDE and if I recall correctly you can use a differnet compiler with the IDE, Though most do neither and use the IDE with the compiler it comes with.

    I run both Linux and Windows, I have a linux desktop, a windows desktop (for gaming) recently my laptop made the transition. I like both, I prefer linux for most tasks, it is simple for me to update my system automatically, just as simple as it is in windows, except it doesn't require me to reboot. I have Code::Blocks on all 3 computers, which is my IDE of choice.

    Probably one of the nicest things I have on my linux computers that just isn't ready for windows yet is git, a SCR (source code repository) which takes the most inovative ideas from current SCRs and merged them into one extremely fast, easy to use package.

    There are lots of good reasons to make the change, but if windows works for you, by all rights use it, there isn't a really good reason NOT to use windows.

  10. #25
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,236
    Quote Originally Posted by manav View Post
    Why don't we. At least the ones among us who are a little more than average user. Start using Linux. Even if side by side with Windows.
    And also help doing away with pitfalls that we see in Linux world. See its open. Every body, who has the will, and skill,
    can contribute.
    Welcome to... 1995?

    I would definitely not call Linux a drop-in replacement of Windows. It doesn't claim to be, doesn't try to be, and isn't.

  11. #26
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,456
    Probably one of the nicest things I have on my linux computers that just isn't ready for windows yet is git, a SCR (source code repository) which takes the most inovative ideas from current SCRs and merged them into one extremely fast, easy to use package.
    Neither Bazaar nor Mercurial are quite ready for Windows either, though Bazaar comes closest of the three, but is also still the slowest of the three.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  12. #27
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Linux is in no position to replace windows, nor vice versa. They both have their uses. Until it becomes far more AVERAGE user friendly, Linux has no chance of replacing windows. Until Microsoft makes windows open source it has no chance of replacing linux.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  13. #28
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    Hans Reiser used Linux...

    Think about it.

  14. #29
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,456
    Hans Reiser used Linux...

    Think about it.
    Just don't use ReiserFS and you're safe
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  15. #30
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by indigo0086 View Post
    Hans Reiser used Linux...

    Think about it.
    Using linux will turn you into a homicidal deadbeat dad, point taken. :Ž
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. windows .dll vs. linux .so - global static objects
    By pheres in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
  2. Thinking of upgrading to linux...
    By Yarin in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM
  3. Build linux on windows
    By baash05 in forum Linux Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
  4. Why can't Windows run Linux binary executables?
    By Kleid-0 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 10:44 PM
  5. Linux and Windows Duel Boot
    By The15th in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2002, 04:59 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21