New levels of retardedness

This is a discussion on New levels of retardedness within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by citizen But can you really play more than one game at a time? I can't play multiple ...

  1. #76
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    But can you really play more than one game at a time?
    I can't play multiple FPSs at the same time, but there are other types of games too. But something I have done is playing an FPS (Warsow), OpenTTD and solving sudokus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    Chatting is PC territory, I would say.
    I don't really care whose territory what is. I just expect quite expensive devices with that kind of architecture to be multifunctional.

    Of course my statements are subjective and not always true. But this is what I think. These are my arguments and I don't see why it should make anyone upset that I said why I don't like consoles (maybe a bit too agressively though ).
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  2. #77
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,184
    Though I would expect expensive consoles to do a lot, which is why they shouldn't be expensive in the first place. They should play games, nothing more.
    Preferably with a keyboard to be able to text chat in games and a headset to voice chat.
    A console might be good for game trailers and demos, too.
    But that's where it stops.

    The rest is really PC territory. Consoles were designed to play games, not be media centers. That's what the PC is. And will always be. The ultimate everything-in-one tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.
    For information on how to enable C++11 on your compiler, look here.
    よく聞くがいい!私は天才だからね! ^_^

  3. #78
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,532
    "The PC is the digital hub."

  4. #79
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    463
    With technology, I wouldn't put anything as definite.

    Considering the console networks now offer a lot, who knows what the future will hold. Especially now they are hooked up to the net. I'd say PC will hold dominance for a while, but some of that share will be taken up by the console market, it will be a long while before anything drastic happens anyways.
    =========================================
    Everytime you segfault, you murder some part of the world

  5. #80
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,184
    Until they start supporting open source formats and start supporting the full range of compression format levels and not just some "half level," I'd say the PC is in no threat of the console.
    The PC will always dominate in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.
    For information on how to enable C++11 on your compiler, look here.
    よく聞くがいい!私は天才だからね! ^_^

  6. #81
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    There will always be things the PC can do that consoles can't, and because of that the PC will always be the better choice. The moment that consoles are capable of as much or more than a PC then they will cease to be consoles and be PC's, so in one way or another PC's will still reign supreme. The PC is just so much more flexible in terms of hardware and software that consoles are nothing more than an interesting niche market. When we finish the first terminator, it wont be built with a console
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  7. #82
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Though I would expect expensive consoles to do a lot, which is why they shouldn't be expensive in the first place. They should play games, nothing more.
    Preferably with a keyboard to be able to text chat in games and a headset to voice chat.
    A console might be good for game trailers and demos, too.
    But that's where it stops.

    The rest is really PC territory. Consoles were designed to play games, not be media centers. That's what the PC is. And will always be. The ultimate everything-in-one tool.
    I agree.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  8. #83
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Until they start supporting open source formats and start supporting the full range of compression format levels and not just some "half level," I'd say the PC is in no threat of the console.
    The PC will always dominate in that regard.

    EDIT: sorry my grammar was horrible
    How many users of computers in the world know what 'open source formats' let alone 'compression format levels' are? The more features that a particular console offer is what is interesting to the userbase, it is what determines the sales. Have a more interesting network, then you start adding to the userbase.

    Research companies use the combined power of multiple PS3's to process their projects, people who are willing to contribute their PS3 power to research, more and more possibilities are rising.

    Wasn't it Bill Gates that said '84k is all the memory anyone will ever need' - or something like that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Network

    2.9 million on the playstation network

    That will no doubtedly rise over the years and so will the xbox and wii networks.

    The PC has started its slow and steady decline already.
    Last edited by JFonseka; 03-21-2008 at 09:30 AM.
    =========================================
    Everytime you segfault, you murder some part of the world

  9. #84
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    463
    This is that territory and etc, aren't what console developers are thinking. They are thinking:

    'that will be our territory'

    Now that the playstation and nintendo are facing competition from microsoft, microsoft will no doubtedly start to implement many of their pc features onto the console and considering sony's technological contributions to the other fields they will soon start implementing some awesome stuff. The desktop computing area needs to improve in terms of hardware, all they want to do is design new styles, increase processing speed or make the monitor bigger.

    Yawn.
    =========================================
    Everytime you segfault, you murder some part of the world

  10. #85
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by JFonseka View Post
    Now that the playstation and nintendo are facing competition from microsoft, microsoft will no doubtedly start to implement many of their pc features onto the console and considering sony's technological contributions to the other fields they will soon start implementing some awesome stuff. The desktop computing area needs to improve in terms of hardware, all they want to do is design new styles, increase processing speed or make the monitor bigger.
    That is one of the most important things about consoles...
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  11. #86
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Until they start supporting open source formats and start supporting the full range of compression format levels and not just some "half level," I'd say the PC is in no threat of the console.
    The PC will always dominate in that regard.
    Consoles never were competing with PCs as a wole, only the portion that adheres to gaming, commercial gaming in specific. A lot of small time developers who do independent development at times end up creating commercial games. Whether or not the 360 supports a codec or whatever has no bearing on the fact that it is a device made for games. Media center functionality is probably less than half of what the PC can do, it probably has less independent game development as a PC would have, but it's still a gaming machine catering mostly to commercial developers and has a growing independent development scene.

    I forgot what the argument was about anyway, it seems there's an argument every other day here anyway. Since the thread was de-railed I'm just addressing this.

  12. #87
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Well, it started out as a gripe about DRM intruding on fair use and moved to PC vs Console because someone saidconsoles are less vulnerable to piracy. So it wasnt really derailed, it just evolved into something else, as any conversation does.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  13. #88
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    It actually turned into "PC's are the ****" threads you hear all the time.

  14. #89
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by maxorator View Post
    That is one of the most important things about consoles...
    Sure, I never said it WASN'T.

    But look at Wii's latest innovation, it sold well above the PS3 and XBOX, the introduction of wireless controllers into PS3, the abandoning of the memory card, introduction of large HDD's, etc, who knows what else, I don't own any of the new generation consoles. There are other newer things coming into consoles quicker than they are coming for the PC.
    =========================================
    Everytime you segfault, you murder some part of the world

  15. #90
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by maxorator View Post
    That is one of the most important things about consoles...
    Sure, I never said it WASN'T.

    But look at Wii's latest innovation, it sold well above the PS3 and XBOX, the introduction of wireless controllers into PS3, the abandoning of the memory card, introduction of large HDD's, etc, who knows what else, I don't own any of the new generation consoles. There are other newer things coming into consoles quicker than they are coming for the PC.
    =========================================
    Everytime you segfault, you murder some part of the world

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 02:03 PM
  2. "differs in levels of indirection" warning
    By boggle in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 12:39 PM
  3. "Different levels of indirection" compilation error
    By emanresu in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 04:01 AM
  4. OpenGL levels
    By Necrofear in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 02:53 PM
  5. create additional levels for my game
    By lambs4 in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2002, 03:44 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21