That Java Programming Language book is written by the creators of Java (Gosling et. al) It is like the K & R C book.
Here are my recommendations
I have more advanced ones- but these should do.
General Java Books:
• Beginning Java 2- SDK 1.4 Edition, Horton. Wrox, 2002.
• Java in a Nutshell, 4th ed., Flanagan. O’Reilly, 2002.
• The Java Programming Language, 3rd ed., Arnold, et.al. Addison Wesley, 2000.
• Using Java 2 Standard Edition, Cavaness, et.al. Que, 2001.
• The Java Language Specification, 2nd ed., Gosling, et.al. Addison Wesley, 2000.
• Java 2 The Complete Reference, 4th ed., Schildt. McGraw-Hill, 2001.
• Programming with Java, Hubbard. McGraw-Hill, 1999.
• Beginning Java Objects, Barker. Wrox, 2000.